Bamboo safe plant??

I don't know if I would use this as the most comprehensive guide to safe plants. I saw that they had Animal toxicity listed as one of the categories, but I didn't see any plants that were listed as such. There are many plants that are poisonous to us, that do not harm animals at all. I have seen lists of plants that are safe for Chams. I would start searching this site, and then maybe do a Google search.

I did some search and most of the lists of safe plants not listing bamboo at all. This is first list I see bamboo in, that's why I started this post.

** If you use bamboo in your cage, let us know **

I was thinking that bamboo can be so beneficial for humidity because of the water and all. I can put drip system over it and not worry killing plant with over watering :)
Thanks all

I use bamboo.

This is found in mostly South American and a handful of asian variaties but worth mentioning. A chemical called cyanogenic glycoside. When the stalk is broken it turns into hydrogen cyanide. Cyanide is a very posioinus gas. This is only found in the stalk not the leaves. It is highly unlikely that your chameleon would be able to break the stalk of bamboo. Really there are only six species of bamboo that are edible. The rest of are so bitter you really can not eat them without it hurting your stomach. Bamboo can be found on all seven continents. Just get one that is not found in South America. You can get one of the edible one but they will have to be bonsia. These all grow to hieghts of 50'-100' naturally.

I bought a plain jane plastic pot to put my Umbrella tree in. I was thinking of getting some bamboo, splitting it, and securing it around the pot to give it a more aesthetic look. I may get some from Home Depot, but I also know where there is some growing wild around here also.

this is what i was thinking.
place bamboo in the big pot with rocks and everything, little pump on the bottom of the pot, so water filters trough the rock before gets to the pump, and pump pumps water to the top and drips it over the bamboo plant again. And maybe even fogger inside the pot :)
I know you will have to clean it and replace water once a week or so, but this is grate idea. Ill make it work, and let you know :)

Last edited:
this is what i was thinking.
place bamboo in the big pot with rocks and everything, little pump on the bottom of the pot, so water filters trough the rock before gets to the pump, and pump pumps water to the top and drips it over the bamboo plant again. And maybe even fogger inside the pot :)
I know you will have to clean it and replace water once a week or so, but this is grate idea. Ill make it work, and let you know :)

You may find that you have to replace it more frequently than once a week. Most chameleons aim towards water to poo. Plus, crickets are magnetically drawn to water for some reason.. where they promptly drown. The roots of the plant may help filter out some of the nasties, but it may get really funky really fast and turn into a bacteria breeding ground. If you decide to try it, I would like to know how it goes.

Heika

My crickets are in the cup with legs broke, so no problem there, about the pooping in the water that is interesting, I'll just have to make it and see :)
But thanks for input

hydrogen cyanide

hydrogen cyanide is not an issue at most pH values above 7.0. I did a study on cyanide toxicity to tadpoles and we had to wear chemsuits and regualtors the whole deal- but we never got a detectible amount of hydrogen cyanide- (which evidently smells like almonds if you have the genetic trait to smell it) even when we were working with really high levels of cyanide because the reaction to hydrogen cyanide is a slow reaction we never had any. Now if you have a low pH and a little time then levels can get nasty.

hydrogen cyanide is not an issue at most pH values above 7.0. I did a study on cyanide toxicity to tadpoles and we had to wear chemsuits and regualtors the whole deal- but we never got a detectible amount of hydrogen cyanide- (which evidently smells like almonds if you have the genetic trait to smell it) even when we were working with really high levels of cyanide because the reaction to hydrogen cyanide is a slow reaction we never had any. Now if you have a low pH and a little time then levels can get nasty.

:) so you are saying that there is no problems with bamboo in the cage, as long as you not braking it all days long :)

Standing water needs to be changed every two days if there is any chance of any bio matter getting into it. After four days, it can become reasonably contaminated with bacteria levels higher than the chameleon can tolerate, with loose insects being the primary means of transmission. I know you don't think you have loose bugs, but you are tempting fate. In all honesty, the waterfall arrangement is for your aesthetics, as your cham could care less, and a simple cheap room humidifier will fix humidity. At best, a waterfall is an accident waiting to happen. While on topic, those that have a potted plant, with a dish under it to contain water, are inviting huge problems unless the water in that dish is removed, with complete cleaning, every 48 hours. Been there in quantity, done that, paid dearly.

Live bamboo is fine. If you buy bamboo stakes at a hardware store, buy the natural undyed varieties. Some of the stained (usually dark green) types have been shown to cause inflammation to the feet of chameleons, especially those that use it as a perch while sleeping.

Back
Top Bottom