Bait Shop Crickets

Tylerscham

Hello

I am wondering if it’s a bad idea to buy my crickets from a bait shop just across the road from my house. They are extremely cheaper but I wasn’t sure if it was a bad idea.

Thanks for the help

If you gutload them for a week or two and let them poop out the junk they fed them they should be fine.

Yeah, crickets are crickets. I wouldn't worry too much about what they have been eating at the bait shop, but you could always ask. They're honestly probably fine straight from the store, but as a precaution you could try to quarantine them and feed them right (which you should be doing to some degree with your crickets anyway) like Matt said.

The only difference between the ones in the bait shop and the ones in the pet store is going to be that the pet stores know that they can charge you more for them.

I have fed bait shop crickets for almost all of Stark's life. The bait shop I get mine from only feeds potatoes so I gutload for a day or two then feed them off. I have also had a lot of success breeding them due to them being much larger/older:)

Pssst... little known secret buuuuttt....

The pet shops and bait stores tend to buy their live feeders (crickets and worms) from the same wholesaler regionally.

Don't believe me? Find out what day the pet store gets their new feeders, and then find out the delivery day for the closest bait shop. Odds are it will be the same day if they are close enough to each other.

Pssst... little known secret buuuuttt....

The pet shops and bait stores tend to buy their live feeders (crickets and worms) from the same wholesaler regionally.

Don't believe me? Find out what day the pet store gets their new feeders, and then find out the delivery day for the closest bait shop. Odds are it will be the same day if they are close enough to each other.
Absolutely right! In Southeast Louisiana anyone selling crickets is buying them from Armstrong Crickets, I highly reccomend them.

Just wanted to add that our shops feed them potatoes and cornmeal as well, both terrible gutloads.

... may also notice a slightly higher die-off rate due to them being older but not significant enough to avoid them.

Just wanted to add that our shops feed them potatoes and cornmeal as well, both terrible gutloads.

... may also notice a slightly higher die-off rate due to them being older but not significant enough to avoid them.
I have actually experienced the opposite...The crickets I have brought from the petstore and repticon seem to die faster for me:confused: They all seem to almost get a paralysis like condition and loose limbs, even though I keep them the exact same way as the ones from the bait shop o_O

Back
Top Bottom