Bad news about Goliath the Beardie...

squeekz1992

I really think he is dying.. I doubt he will make it through the night. All efforts to rehome him have been ignored. Poor baby was doing so well on Saturday, and then Sunday he didn't move all day, and he still has yet to move today.:(

Well I can't say he didn't try to move today..He's lost control of his arms. He has been walking drunk, and today he barely could walk. Spoon/Syringe feeding isn't even working now. His color is very pale, and his eyes are sunken. :(

He's still bloated though, and I know he isn't impacted because I've seen him go... He's dehydrated now, or at least he should be.. But his urate is white still. He is getting wrinkly, and honestly it's almost like he is shriveling up.. I have been trying not to handle him as much to see if that made a difference, but it hasn't.

He ate four worms on Saturday, I was so excited, but now he can't even control his little arms. Poor baby has been through so much...

I am very angry with his breeder...Goliath could make an awesome pet if he weren't just hatched when I got him! :mad:

Everybody, if you go to a reptile show, and they tell you "He's 6weeks" and your gut says "No, he's only days old" go with your gut. Hatchlings require a lot of special attention, and I am pretty sure my poor baby has a parasite. I was expecting to get at least a 1.5 month old baby when I picked him out and now he is dying because I was given false information at the reptile show..

I feel really bad, I'm not even sure that he will make it through the night, and he was too small and sick to make a 3 hour car ride to the vet... I've done everything I could, but now I just have to make him comfortable..

It is awful to watch him go, I was really pulling for him, I can't even open his mouth to force feed him now, his head just lulls with it...

I will never go to this dragon breeder again...

The worst part is that my set up is 100%. I even have my BF's dragon set up at his house the exact same way, and actually my set up is better because I have a definitive schedule, and Bella doesnt, but she is thriving while my baby is wasting away... I think any progress that I had made with Goliath has been hindered because of his age, and the fact that I'm positive he's got some sort of parasite.

I feel awful :( I was really hoping to have a happy ending, and maybe I still can, but I won't get my hopes up too much...

I talked to Goliath and told him he was a good little fighter, and that I understand if he's too tired to fight anymore...It's not fair to him or to me, to have to watch him waste away despite all efforts to save him..We will see what he decides...

I really think he is dying.. I doubt he will make it through the night. All efforts to rehome him have been ignored. Poor baby was doing so well on Saturday, and then Sunday he didn't move all day, and he still has yet to move today.:(

Well I can't say he didn't try to move today..He's lost control of his arms. He has been walking drunk, and today he barely could walk. Spoon/Syringe feeding isn't even working now. His color is very pale, and his eyes are sunken. :(

He's still bloated though, and I know he isn't impacted because I've seen him go... He's dehydrated now, or at least he should be.. But his urate is white still. He is getting wrinkly, and honestly it's almost like he is shriveling up.. I have been trying not to handle him as much to see if that made a difference, but it hasn't.

He ate four worms on Saturday, I was so excited, but now he can't even control his little arms. Poor baby has been through so much...

I am very angry with his breeder...Goliath could make an awesome pet if he weren't just hatched when I got him! :mad:

Everybody, if you go to a reptile show, and they tell you "He's 6weeks" and your gut says "No, he's only days old" go with your gut. Hatchlings require a lot of special attention, and I am pretty sure my poor baby has a parasite. I was expecting to get at least a 1.5 month old baby when I picked him out and now he is dying because I was given false information at the reptile show..

I feel really bad, I'm not even sure that he will make it through the night, and he was too small and sick to make a 3 hour car ride to the vet... I've done everything I could, but now I just have to make him comfortable..

It is awful to watch him go, I was really pulling for him, I can't even open his mouth to force feed him now, his head just lulls with it...

I will never go to this dragon breeder again...

The worst part is that my set up is 100%. I even have my BF's dragon set up at his house the exact same way, and actually my set up is better because I have a definitive schedule, and Bella doesnt, but she is thriving while my baby is wasting away... I think any progress that I had made with Goliath has been hindered because of his age, and the fact that I'm positive he's got some sort of parasite.

I feel awful :( I was really hoping to have a happy ending, and maybe I still can, but I won't get my hopes up too much...

I talked to Goliath and told him he was a good little fighter, and that I understand if he's too tired to fight anymore...It's not fair to him or to me, to have to watch him waste away despite all efforts to save him..We will see what he decides...

i am so sorry to hear about ur lil guy! That is sad :( atleast u r taking good care of him n making him comfortable and im sure he knows it!! good luck!

i am so sorry to hear about ur lil guy! That is sad :( atleast u r taking good care of him n making him comfortable and im sure he knows it!! good luck!

Thanks. He just moved his head, but I'm afraid he is going to fall. I think I'm going to lower his temp and see if that helps

Parasite at only a few days old? Is that even possible? I wonder if the little guy still has some yoke left in him that he is still absorbing. The only other advise is loss of limb movement is normally caused by too big of a feeder, but thiat is in the hind legs.

On the other hand i had one water dragon that died a few weeks old due to loss of limb movement, turns out it was a cyst growing since before hatching.

Parasite at only a few days old? Is that even possible? I wonder if the little guy still has some yoke left in him that he is still absorbing. The only other advise is loss of limb movement is normally caused by too big of a feeder, but thiat is in the hind legs.

On the other hand i had one water dragon that died a few weeks old due to loss of limb movement, turns out it was a cyst growing since before hatching.

I have no idea.. He's almost a month now, it's been a very rough month for him. Maybe his tummy didn't develop properly? It's hard to tell, he is my first beardie, I feel awful for him. I wish this was just something as easy to fix as feeders. I've tried everything I can think of... I'm very angry at the breeder because I've called him 15 times, and he still says "well just wait and see". I wish it was just too big of a feeder, but I know its not that because he's been living off of baby food:( I've had him a month on Wednesday, and he's been life or death since 2 days after bringing him home :(

Hey

What kind of substrate do u have? Do u think he swilled some and it's stuck or wedged in his stomach?

I am so sorry to hear about Goliath! I have been following his progress since you got him and just hate to hear the latest turn of events. It is a shame when breeders don't care about the animals they are producing and just do it for money. I was expecting a 3 month old when I got my cham. Instead I got an infant 3 week old. It has been nothing but stress and concern since I got him home a week ago. It's hard to watch something you care so much for just not thrive. I've been through it before with kittens. So sad. You are in my thoughts! Whatever happens, you must know that you did everything you could do. He was so lucky to have you. If he had gone anywhere else, he probably wouldn't have made it past a few days. You have taken such good care of him. I'm so sorry!

Sorry to hear about this squeekz. I had a very similar experience at a reptile show in my neck of thewoods . Bless you for doing what you can for him.

What kind of substrate do u have? Do u think he swilled some and it's stuck or wedged in his stomach?

reptile carpet, there's no way he could have eaten it :(

I just went away on labor day, and came back and he was like this. I know it's not his care because Bella is perfectly fine and cared for the same way :(

Mom keeps trying to say it's brumation, but he's only 1 month and they dont start brumating till i think 6 months at least? :(

I hate your going thru this, just a cpl things I try to follow when it comes to reptiles:

1. don't buy at shows unless YOU know the breeder is reputible.
2. don't buy anything under 2 months old ever.

I know that one is only 2 weeks difference but when they are that young 2 weeks is a big time period in my opinion.

He is starving to death it sounds like it and all you can do to keep him hydrated is the bathes since he is not eating. However I am told you can over hydrate them via bathes as well and it have a negative impact. But in this case I dunno. Maybe someone else could chime in, bath him in some pedialyte or other mix to help get some of the electrolytes etc back into the body as well as water.

When you bath as warm water how do you judge warm water? If you get it just right they usually poop in the water. if to hot they start tryign to climb the walls and if to cold they get dark and will either not move or try to get out as well.

Have you gently massaged on his belly to help move along any possible blockage? impaction can come from the feeder, or vien in the vegtables or any other food? They can get impacted on things other than substrate at this early age. Their little digestive system is still all wound up and not a straight shoot out.

Good luck

I learned that lesson the hard way :(

It's crazy how well she is doing and how awful he was :(
I tried bathes, pedialyte, force feeding babyfood tummy massages...I tried everything and I failed him...

Warm water was measured at being a little bit less than what is warm to me (warm to me is still pretty hot, I love really hot showers, so I did a little less then that). He did poop in the water, but he couldn't hold his own head above the water...

I feel awful...he died this morning at about 3 am...

I believe he did starve to death, but I don't understand how.. I force fed, offered food, even saw him eat 2x on his own...

Back
Top Bottom