bad and good quad news

pamnsam94

Established Member
I'm sad to say that the father of many of my quad babies (bloodline B) died yesterday. He was the 5 horned quad in my avatar. Back in March or April of this year, after a shed, he lost his central horn.

After keeping chameleons for about 25 years, it never ceases to amaze me how quickly chameleons can take a turn for the worse. Just three days ago, he ate a half dozen small roaches and displayed to my adult female (she was having nothing to do with him though). Yesterday, after I discovered good news (see my other post, "quads took over 6 months to hatch", about more baby quads hatching), I shockingly found him at the bottom of his enclosure, eyes sunken and on death's door. He was dead less than an hour later. He was as calm as any quad I've ever had. He wasn't shy in the least. The second photo was taken in August with my cell phone, not showing his best colors but at least you can get a pretty good idea of his nice dorsal crest. Although it's still hard for me to do, if you are going to regularly keep chameleons, you better get used to them sometimes quickly dying on you for reasons unknown. Although it can be depressing and very frustrating not knowing, at least you can get enjoyment and satisfaction when you hatch out a new generation. Unless my female lays another clutch that he fathered, the babies hatching now are the last of his offspring.

Perry

Attachments

• quad horns.jpg
    quad horns.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 187
  • father of bloodline B.jpg
    father of bloodline B.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Sorry about your loss

That really stinks man but we all have to die eventually. Just know he will be in the rainforest in heaven eating crickets and waiting for you

Perry I am so sorry you lost him. But I am glad that I have one of his offspring who is doing great.

I'm still a little shocked because there really was no warning that anything was wrong. He looked great the day he was displaying to the female he was housed with, just two days prior. I'll always wonder what might have happened, but I don't expect I'll ever know why one day he looked fantastic, and just two days later, he was on the floor of the cage ready to die. Oh well, I suppose I'll just have to get used to not having any quad breeding going on for a while. My adult female now needs a new mate. For the time being, I've placed my largest male of bloodline A in her enclosure, but he is not quite large enough yet to breed. The male I just lost had been housed with the female for several years.

Perry

Back
Top Bottom