Bad Aim when eating

I have a 13 month old male panther chameleon. He’s had a clean bill of health until recently he started missing his food. He will eat it if I hold it for him and is still pooping and drinking regularly. He normally eats his crickets out of a cricket thing that goes around his screen. Does he have a bruised tounge or is this a bigger issue that I need to take him to the vet for?
4E3D9C1D-2EC3-40FD-B9FE-77511D46A467.jpeg

Also I need to mention that he has proper lighting. Two 60 watt heat bulbs (it’s a huge cage) and a TH5O watt UVB linear bulb. Another controversy is the Vietnam’s to give them. We got him from Kammerflage Kreations and they told us to dust the food every time with Repashy Calcium plus. I’ve stuck to it since he has been doing good. Could he be over loaded with D3? No judgments please I just try to follow the breeder and do what’s best for him:)

So some chameleons have issues with it given every feeding. You can use it 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th and then use calcium without D3 at all other feedings.

Have you given him any other feeders?

What is your distance from the UVB to the basking branch?

Also can you post a picture of him from the side. He looks to be a bit overweight based on the casque being puffy.

The branch distance is about 7 inches. It is more across the middle so I might angle so he gets it a bit more when he is basking. He gets a variety of Dubia roaches and crickets which I gutload with fruits, veggies, and greens. I did start slowing him down on feeders since he’s reached his adult age. I recently bought a scale to track his weight… I will get him out later to check. ( I literally just got it in the mail). He’s very puffed out on this because he doesn’t like pictures taken lol. I’m thinking he may have bruised the tounge from hitting to hard against the screen. I did however order him in a new UVB light and I will work on adjusting his calcium schedule. And I will put the light diaganal to cover the cage more. If nothing improves, I’m going to take him to the vet to make sure nothing to serious is going on. (I don’t want to take him to early to stress him out for no reason)
C9B6E3BD-D6AA-49F7-8B80-5210A54A1CBA.jpeg

It is a 5.0 T5HO UVB light… it’s about 6 months old which is why I just ordered a new one in the mail two days ago. It should come in anytime now. Thanks!

The branch distance is about 7 inches. It is more across the middle so I might angle so he gets it a bit more when he is basking. He gets a variety of Dubia roaches and crickets which I gutload with fruits, veggies, and greens. I did start slowing him down on feeders since he’s reached his adult age. I recently bought a scale to track his weight… I will get him out later to check. ( I literally just got it in the mail). He’s very puffed out on this because he doesn’t like pictures taken lol. I’m thinking he may have bruised the tounge from hitting to hard against the screen. I did however order him in a new UVB light and I will work on adjusting his calcium schedule. And I will put the light diaganal to cover the cage more. If nothing improves, I’m going to take him to the vet to make sure nothing to serious is going on. (I don’t want to take him to early to stress him out for no reason)View attachment 304941
ok casque shape looks much better there and so does his overall size.

I just wanted to double check on feeders. Things like hornworms can bite but since your not feeding those that would not be it. Typically hitting the screen will not cause tongue damage. Have you seen him biting any of the artificial vines or plants?

With the T5HO fixture you want to make sure he has a definite basking area below the uvb at a distance of 8-9 inches. Your dowels look very large and this may be an issue for him to bask comfortably.

ok casque shape looks much better there and so does his overall size.

I just wanted to double check on feeders. Things like hornworms can bite but since your not feeding those that would not be it. Typically hitting the screen will not cause tongue damage. Have you seen him biting any of the artificial vines or plants?

With the T5HO fixture you want to make sure he has a definite basking area below the uvb at a distance of 8-9 inches. Your dowels look very large and this may be an issue for him to bask comfortably.
Ok now that I think about it… he had a hornworm about two weeks ago. I’ve never seen him bite plants. He normally basks there for the heat but I think I need to make sure the UVB is hitting where he is basking for the heat. Once I get home I want to try to rearrange. But that is making me wonder if the hornworm but his tongue because it happened around that time. If so what should I do?

Ok now that I think about it… he had a hornworm about two weeks ago. I’ve never seen him bite plants. He normally basks there for the heat but I think I need to make sure the UVB is hitting where he is basking for the heat. Once I get home I want to try to rearrange. But that is making me wonder if the hornworm but his tongue because it happened around that time. If so what should I do?
How exactly did you feed him the hornworm? By hand or putting it on a branch for example.

Ok that is good. That narrows it down to a possible bite rather then a strain. If you can get a good look at his tongue the next time you hand feed him see if there are any abnormal marks or bruising.
Do you have any picture of what a normal tongue should look like to compare?

I noticed a black spot on the tip of his tongue. Is there anything I should do to help it heal?
Well you would want to keep a close eye on that. The risk here is infection. Personally if he were mine he would be going to a reptile vet to see about getting antibiotics.

A black spot is a good indication that there is damage occurred under the surface of the skin, the same as a human bruise. This will heal on its own over time. As long as your chameleon continues with business as usual, you have absolutely no reason for concern. I would still have an experienced vet take a look at it just to be safe. That's a nice looking panther you have.

Back
Top Bottom