Backdrop

Morpheo's Mom

Avid Member
Hello fellow chameleon keepers! I have some great news! I ordered a new backdrop for my enclosure. I'll keep you posted.
Morpheo says "good mornan!"
20220702_062730.jpg

Waiting to see the new background!
Welp didn't go according to plan. 😔. I opened it up and there was such a horrible glue smell that I decided I better not risk it. I will be returning it and looking elsewhere. I'm open to ideas if you have any. Pic below is what I bought but maybe a cloth shower curtain would work? I am definitely not savvy enough to make something out of foam.
20220702_172043.jpg

There are a few posts with step by step instructions. look up Pond and stone
Thanks, I've been scrolling through a few posts. Although I see some are for the foam, some are also against it due to possible toxins. As a a newbie it does seem a little intimidating. I do like @MissSkittles removable panel idea. I could essentially create it and choose not to install in the end. Regardless this would be a significant project. If I do go this route I'll be sure to document and share.

I get mine from petbackdrops.com! I have a 10% discount code but want to be respectful of the forum’s rules against posting affiliate links/codes so shoot me a message and I’d be happy to provide it for you.

Thanks, I've been scrolling through a few posts. Although I see some are for the foam, some are also against it due to possible toxins. As a a newbie it does seem a little intimidating. I do like @MissSkittles removable panel idea. I could essentially create it and choose not to install in the end. Regardless this would be a significant project. If I do go this route I'll be sure to document and share.
Toxins are only really a concern if you don't allow the foam and silicone to properly cure. I have a custom background in my dart frog enclosure that has never caused any problems, but I would definitely recommend it for a new enclosure. Gutting the old one takes time that may not be possible if you don't already have a second enclosure of some sort.

I use the pond and stone foam in almost all my cages you do have to let it cure for several days before it can be used in the cage. I spray mine onto something and then mount it into the cage after the allotted cure time.

I am considering using my old large reptibreeze enclosure as kind of a trial and error test subject. If all goes well I could put him in there while i redo his permanent home and have an enclosure ready for my next juvenile chameleon 😏

Update on Morpheo's enclosure:

I let the backdrop air out for several days. The plasticky smell was gone so I wrapped it around his cage on the outside. It covers the whole backside and half of the right side. I still have a clear shower curtain on the left side. That way he cannot get caught up in soap operas on t.v., but also observe 95% of the room. It may or may not be the type of trees he would be climbing in Yemen 😄, but I like it.

Still planning on doing a foam project with my other enclosure. I just haven't gotten around to it. It could be in part because once I do I'll be inclined to get a female. I am going to hold out a little longer.
IMG_20220716_085251043.jpg

Back
Top Bottom