Back to school!! Insanely excited about this program!

Dr O

Veterinarian
hi all,

it was only a few weeks ago that i happened to catch an article re: the first program offered in Veterinary Forensics, which has been co-created by the ASPCA and the U of F Vet School. the program is open to many other professions other than veterinarians; LEO's, animal control, attorneys, researchers, etc. as they mention, in the past whenever there were cases of animal abuse or neglect it was usually very difficult to prosecute due to the lack of expert testimony and knowledge. they hope graduates of this program will begin to rectify that.

those who may have followed some of my medical posts know that i've always been very interested in pathology, and suggest necropsies often. i personally do necropsies as much as possible on as many species as i can. this seems like a natural evolution of my interests, and it's an online course. there is a core of 5 classes that one can get a "Certificate" in Vet Forensics, but they also have Master's programs (thesis or non-thesis tracks). I've entered the Master's program.

i have been accepted!! it begins this summer with one course, "Animal Crime Scene Processing", and the rest of the classes are virtually making me drool with anticipation---Forensic Entomology (how the maggots and bugs get involved), Forensic Radiology, Toxicology....even sexual abuse! (THAT might be an odd lab!)

anyhoo, i'm excited as all get-out. love to learn, and it's been too long since i was actually enrolled in real classes. if anyone else is interested or want to pass it on, their website is http://forensicscience.ufl.edu/veterinary/

o-

That is so very interesting! Keep us posted on everything. It's unfortunate that this type of training is needed, though.

As a teacher, I get so excited to see others get excited about learning! You'll probably get to learn a lot about the underground dog-fighting culture when you are called to court cases. I worked for a forensic phychologists while I was in college, and his work was horrifying yet fascinating at the same time. Best of luck, and keep us updated on the cool things you learn!

As a teacher, I get so excited to see others get excited about learning!

me too--although i'm only lecturing and running a lab once a week at the vet tech program, i do whatever i can outside of those hours to either assist any students needing help, or bringing those that have interests in exotics with me on housecalls (or even working with my own chams). i've got a tag in my email signature, "To give up on learning is to give up on living". i just devour new information and somehow my brain does a pretty fair job at locking most of it in.

i was basically in school from 5 to 28 straight, and although i've gone to however many CE's or conferences, there's nothing like being a real student again! as it's open to so many professions, and one can take the "mini-course" w/o going for a full degree, it would be awesome if someone else i knew wound up enrolling as well. i've been spreading the word via FB posts, emails, and forum threads.

Those sound great !- I wonder if they have any mooc's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_open_online_course-
I've just recently discovered them and have been mostly just listening to the lectures on subjects that I have always wanted to know more about -

as i understand this is the first official year the program is beginning, so i doubt they have much data online for the public at this point. i will be getting a textbook list at some point of which i'm happy to share the titles.

just curious--usually active threads show up on the home page as they are updated, but i haven't seen this one up there. do "Lizard Lounge" threads not show there, or did i do something to make this semi-private? it's the first time i've ever noticed it, but i don't often post in this particular forum. can anyone/mods let me know?

That is a program just designed for you! It just sounds like a great fit, I hope you learn lots and enjoy the experience.
Be sure to tell us all you learn.

Congratulations Kevin. Hope you are not too busy to be on here.:)

at 1-3 courses online/semester, it shouldn't be too crazy. but, the final design of my website just completed and i'm busy filling it w/ starter material/photos and whatnot. as there's a blog and an "ask the vet" type of section, i likely will be pulled more in that direction (no doubt to the delight of the few wackos i've encountered here!). ;)

Back
Top Bottom