Back legs seem paralyzed! Please help

Cam th Chameleon

Hi all! It's me again. So after you all helped me with our Cam, a few months back, he has done so well. Gained a ton of weight! eating A LOT. 2 nights ago, we noticed, that he was hanging funny. he seemed fine, but yesterday, we noticed he was low in his cage. And this morning, he was all the way at the bottom and dragging his hind legs. We give him calcium, but prolly not enough. His joints look fine, tho, so i don't think it's MBD. He literally was fine 48 hrs ago. My daughter holds him and if it's late enough, he will fall asleep on her hand. The only thing I can think of is when he was hanging funny 2 nights ago, it was bc he grabbed a branch with his left hind leg and was holding on to his left rear ankle with his left front leg. It didn't look comfortable, but it was late and usually, when it is late and he's hunkered down, we don't like to disturb or move him.

I mentioned he now eats a lot. Mainly wax worms, which he has been known to eat on average of 8-12 of those, plus sometimes some meal worms and crickets.

Please help. IMG_4356.jpg IMG_4357.jpg

Hi all! It's me again. So after you all helped me with our Cam, a few months back, he has done so well. Gained a ton of weight! eating A LOT. 2 nights ago, we noticed, that he was hanging funny. he seemed fine, but yesterday, we noticed he was low in his cage. And this morning, he was all the way at the bottom and dragging his hind legs. We give him calcium, but prolly not enough. His joints look fine, tho, so i don't think it's MBD. He literally was fine 48 hrs ago. My daughter holds him and if it's late enough, he will fall asleep on her hand. The only thing I can think of is when he was hanging funny 2 nights ago, it was bc he grabbed a branch with his left hind leg and was holding on to his left rear ankle with his left front leg. It didn't look comfortable, but it was late and usually, when it is late and he's hunkered down, we don't like to disturb or move him.

I mentioned he now eats a lot. Mainly wax worms, which he has been known to eat on average of 8-12 of those, plus sometimes some meal worms and crickets.

Please help. View attachment 184644 View attachment 184645

Attachments

• IMG_4358.JPG
    IMG_4358.JPG
    251.6 KB · Views: 204
See a vet and not to be harsh, but his diet is horrible. Mealworms and waxworms are useless and shouldn't be fed more than a couple a month. He needs nutritious, supplemented, gutloaded food.

Also MBD is a bone disease, not joints. The symptoms sound like MBD, but I'm not expert or vet. Please do research before keeping an animal this stuff doesn't need to happen! Good luck at the vet

Glad you were able to get in quickly. After the vet helps you with this situation we can help you improve his diet later. Fingers crossed for him.

He's very dark in color now which is also an indication of poor health. Dragging the back legs screams of MBD.. what to you do for calcium? With or without D3? Plus what type of uvb bulb do you have, how old is the bulb, where is it mounted in the cage and does he get any outside time for natural uvb?

Glad you were able to get in quickly. After the vet helps you with this situation we can help you improve his diet later. Fingers crossed for him.
Thanks all!!
He's very dark in color now which is also an indication of poor health. Dragging the back legs screams of MBD.. what to you do for calcium? With or without D3? Plus what type of uvb bulb do you have, how old is the bulb, where is it mounted in the cage and does he get any outside time for natural uvb?
Tort, he's dark bc he was at the bottom, around mulch! We have calcium powder.
We also have UVB bulb. Only a few months old

You realize Chams don't blend with their surroundings? Him being around mulch(which shouldn't even be there, those fibers are not good for chams) would have no impact on his color. Research before buying animals please.

Edit: make sure the vet actually has cham experience, otherwise he probably won't help all that much.

I don't see spurs on the back foot. I think your he is a she and that's a whole different set of problems you're going to have in addition to the MBD

Is she a gravid female with MBD? Nothing on the floor is best. Only a bucket of moist soil is needed for a female.

Any news?

I'm wondering if it could have ingested any of the substrate too and might be impacted. Has it been pooping?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom