back from the vet

Joe A

OK for everyone who was following my thread titled (too much d3). I just got back from seeing Dr Tracy Anderson, who was very nice, helpful and reasonable.Thanx julirs i told her you sent me and she smiled and chuckled a little. he took a fresh poop in his carrying cage she looked at it and said it looked fine to her. She also said he looked strong and healthy besides the tong thing and of course his edema. She didnt feel he has any kidney problems because if so he prob wouldnt be eating and would look a lot worse, plus stoole looks OK and he has been gaining weight consistently, 3 weeks ago he weighed 84g two weeks later 98g and today about a week later 114g. so she didnt do blood work. She took a good look in his mouth and said that the soft sheath like tissue around his tong looked a little swollen and that could be causing the tong problems which in turn lead to his edema. She also took a swab of his mouth and said there was a build up of bacteria so she gave him a shot of something to help the swelling and so on. She gave me an antibiotic (not baytril) the bottle is blank so im not sure of the name. She said to give him it for about 10 days. As to what caused all of this she feels he may have had part of his tong or mouth scratched or bitten by one of his prey items. She doesnt feel the supplements are the real cause but i am def getting some cal with out d3 and will only give him the herptivite twice a mth as well as the cal with d3. I feel a lot better after seeing Dr Anderson, she def knows more about chams then my last vet and she seems confident that he will be OK, She said that with the new meds his symptoms should start to go away in the first week but if he gets any worse or if i have any questions give her a call. I was giving him some small wc brown anoles every so often to enhance his diet. Maybe one of those gave him a little fight going down, I think I will stick to properly gutloaded crickets and superworms to be safe in case thats what really happened.
AGAIN THANX EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP:D

Wonderful. Im glad you were able to get to a knowledgable vet.
I'd be interested in the name of the medication, if you are able to find out.
It might be worthwhile to have his poop tested for parasites, on account of the wc anoles.

I would definitely get a fecal and from reading your too much d3 thread I would also get blood work. That's the only way to tell if there's kidney damage. Antibiotics can be bad on good kidneys. I would also find out the name of the new meds.

Thanx, She took a chunk of fresh poop and went in the back with it first thing, so im pretty sure she checked for parasites. I found out the name of the antibiotic. It was on the reciept:rolleyes:, its called NEOMYCIN she said it shouldnt be that hard on his system and is effective on a broad range of bacteria. anyone ever heard of or used it before? :)

Great news! I am glad that I could help. Yes-she would laugh and chuckle-I am such an interesting reptile keeper! I do send them alot of business! :)

Thanx, She took a chunk of fresh poop and went in the back with it first thing, so im pretty sure she checked for parasites. I found out the name of the antibiotic. It was on the reciept:rolleyes:, its called NEOMYCIN she said it shouldnt be that hard on his system and is effective on a broad range of bacteria. anyone ever heard of or used it before? :)

Great! thanks

Thanx everyone:D, I really hope this is just a minor infection and he will make a full recovery. I will keep posting updates on his condition. 1 to let everyone know how Chubs is doing. I named him chubs because he was so fat and healthy looking when i got him from the breeder, hopefully he will stay that way despite the current problem. 2 in the hope of helping someone in the future who may be having similar problems and is searching the forums for advise.

Glad she thinks he's going to be OK

I'm sure the vet visit was well worth the peace of mind, in addition to the antibiotic.
Chubs---I like the name.
I had a tough time finding any plain calcium locally.
If you can't find it nearby, these 2 forum sponsors have it:
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/vitamins-medicines-and-cage-cleaners/
http://www.reptmart.com/c-67-vitamins.aspx
If you don't get the Rep Cal brand, then just make sure that whatever you buy does not have any phosphorus.

yea at the pet store they had 3dif brands of cal but they all said with d3, thats why i didnt really think too much of it and kinda thought all cal came with d3. Im going to check a few othere stores but might just have to order some online, thanx

OK every one today is the 10th day i have given Chubs his neomycin. It took a full week to see any real results, but the last 2 days he has been shooting his tong out to eat. He hasnt shot it too far but to see him shoot it out for a 2 or 3 inch grab is really a big relief. I finally feel like he is starting to bounce back. His edema is still there but it looks like it may be going down just slightly. I found that heat like warm showers or a lot of direct sun seemed to make his edema worse. Ive been placing him outside for sun earlier when its cooler and in mostly shad when it warms up. His color turned dark after a day or 2 of him being on the meds but other than that no big change, he has a few days worth of meds to go..... I guess these things take time but i still think he is doing well and will hopefully make a full recovery

Back
Top Bottom