Baby veiled sleeping most of the day?

I just recently bought two baby veiled. One is very inactive and tends to sleep most of the day, as well as night of course. It will wake up when I move the cage under the sun and bask. But when I move it back indoor, it will be inactive again. Is this normal or a baby with a snout-vent length about 2''?

I got a baby male from LLL reptile about a month ago. Came with only one eye open and slept all the time. I dusted his food with supplements, sprayed his cage multiple times a day, and started gut loading his crickets. Nothing made any improvement. This eventually led to him closing both his eyes and he unfortunately passed away yesterday...:[ the day before he passed away I had to rescue him after I assume he took a bad fall during the night and put him back in his basking place after he slept motionless all day without eating or drinking. The night I believe he took another nasty fall and I found him pretty much dead on floor of the cage once again...at that point I knew that I had lost the battle.

Back to the sleeping though, I was able to purchase 2, male and female 3 week old babies from a breeder locally and after seeing these too move and eat, I really can tell that something was seriously wrong with my first cham that was sent to me from LLL. babies should not be sleeping during the day and should always have both eyes open and exploring this enclosure. If you cham is sleeping during the day something is wrong and you must act fast to correct the issue before other issues arise from it.

Make sure you are gutloading your crickets and dusting them with calcium no d3 every feeding. As well, make you have a UVB 5.0 light and that your cham can bask directly under it as well just as his normal basking place.

I just recently bought two baby veiled. One is very inactive and tends to sleep most of the day, as well as night of course. It will wake up when I move the cage under the sun and bask. But when I move it back indoor, it will be inactive again. Is this normal or a baby with a snout-vent length about 2''?

Please fill out the ask for help form and give as much detail as you can with each answer.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

If your weather permits keep him outside as much as possible. They get UV in the shade so it doesn't have to be in the sun just try to keep the temps in the low 80's. The light can often cause eye problems.

Dragon Born, I am very sorry to hear about your baby.

Last edited:
Felt pretty bad about it..gave parthx a proper burial in all at least. Seems as tho he was played before the get go.

i got a veiled from LLL about a month ago also and had eye problems the day after i got him keeping one eye closed then moving on to both eyes closed and sleeping ALLLL day... was terrible :(

I got a baby male from LLL reptile about a month ago. Came with only one eye open and slept all the time. I dusted his food with supplements, sprayed his cage multiple times a day, and started gut loading his crickets. Nothing made any improvement. This eventually led to him closing both his eyes and he unfortunately passed away yesterday...:[ the day before he passed away I had to rescue him after I assume he took a bad fall during the night and put him back in his basking place after he slept motionless all day without eating or drinking. The night I believe he took another nasty fall and I found him pretty much dead on floor of the cage once again...at that point I knew that I had lost the battle.

Back to the sleeping though, I was able to purchase 2, male and female 3 week old babies from a breeder locally and after seeing these too move and eat, I really can tell that something was seriously wrong with my first cham that was sent to me from LLL. babies should not be sleeping during the day and should always have both eyes open and exploring this enclosure. If you cham is sleeping during the day something is wrong and you must act fast to correct the issue before other issues arise from it.

Make sure you are gutloading your crickets and dusting them with calcium no d3 every feeding. As well, make you have a UVB 5.0 light and that your cham can bask directly under it as well just as his normal basking place.

Yes, I gutloaded dubia nymphs that were purchased with the cham. I ALSO bought my babies from LLL! I will try to leave them outdoor for a little longer. I already mist very frequently. This one seems in bad shape, but the other one looks active and healthy.
Btw, the sleepy one is significantly smaller than the healthy one. And I haven't seen it drinking.

i got the veiled from LLL and it didnt work out so well.... they gave me store credit and i ended up getting a Blue Bar Ambilobe and he came very healthy and havent had any issues at all

seems as though LLL is not taking proper care of there chams. Gonna have to call them and have a talk because that is unfair to receive a sick cham right off the back. For everyone else, I would STAY AWAY from the LLL baby veilds. there is obviously something very wrong with them. Id say the bigger you got is healthy and normal and the smaller one is from the same clutch and has not developed as well and has turned sickly due to LLL not taking proper care of them. You are going to have to really do everything you can to get him back to healthy because he sounds not so far off from when my died a few days ago after battling his problems for a month.

Back
Top Bottom