Baby veiled in basking spot with mouth open

Just checking . My baby veiled is sitting in his basking spot with his mouth open is this normal or is he trying to tell me something?
Basking stop is between 90 and 85 degree .

It's probably a bit to warm for him. Yep he's trying to tell you something. What wattage are you using?

What is the temp of the closes spot? If it isnt what it should be then he could be getting to hot to fast and not having time to digest his food before he has to get out of the heat

I would lower his highest temp to about 83-85 or so and see what happens. They open their mouths when they are basking if they are too warm (to try to cool down.)

A 100 watt powersun. He in a 18x18x36 screen cage .

for the cooler months here in FL I have the same size enclosure. I go between a 40 watt and 60 watt lamp basking lamp depending on what's going on outside. Later this week when the rest of the country is in the middle of a cold front, we will still be in the 80's due to a big high pressure keeping the cold north of us, I'll have the 40 watter in place. Nothing fancy on my end, just stuff from the Depot. I bet my family hears my temp gun go "beep" a hundred times a day. I check a lot.

Omar will do the same thing under his light. Sometimes I just shake my head and wonder why he doesn't just move instead of being too hot.

Omar will do the same thing under his light. Sometimes I just shake my head and wonder why he doesn't just move instead of being too hot.

Do you have multiple branches under the basking spot with varying distances? If they don't have the option to have several different basking branches at different temps, they are forced to sit in one area until their core body temp is what it needs to be, even if that means they are too hot or getting burned.

Back
Top Bottom