Baby veiled help

Tweaked tC

Male veiled (3-4 months old)

Handled 2-3 times a day

Fed 3 small crickets twice a day, dusted with calicum powder on the 2nd feeding

Watering with drip system and misting the cage

Not sure who's fecal is what as he has a small female cage mate for about another month. What I see seems ok, but the male has swelled over the last few days.

I just got them in the mail last week from 2 other forum members.

They are in a large home made screen cage 30x18x36

Lighting- 18" reptisun 5.0, 18" plant grow light, 60w heat bulb. On at 8am off at 8:30pm

Cage floor temp is around 72 and basking area is around 85, night time temps in low to mid 70s

Humidity around 80% kept with a cool mist humidifer

Large dracena plants (3)

Cage is in a spare bedroom

We live in Chas, WV

I cleaned their cage last night, and then when I got up this morning I noticed that our power had gone off and I had to reset their timers. Its was around 11 when I noticed that their timer was off and the lights were out. The male was a dark brown coor with black patterns all across his body. I had taken him outside and he went back to green. When it started to get dark I brought him back in and placed him in the cage. About an hour later I went back to check on him and he was back to the dark brown/black that he was earlier in the day. Does anyone have any ideas? Should I go ahead and seperate them?

The dark colors just means that he's too cold. You probably shouldn't keep them together IMO but I've only had 1 cham myself so idk.

I would def recommend cutting back on the daily handling. He could be getting stressed out by that. Your basking temp sounds fine. My guess is the little guy is stressed from being handled so often, and possibly from having a cage-mate. At 3-4 months old, he definitely needs his own space soon! Hope this helps :)

I would def recommend cutting back on the daily handling. He could be getting stressed out by that. Your basking temp sounds fine. My guess is the little guy is stressed from being handled so often, and possibly from having a cage-mate. At 3-4 months old, he definitely needs his own space soon! Hope this helps :)

He didnt start this til today when his lights got mesed up. He finally went to sleep earlier but he isnt the usual light green, he is more of a dark brown on the top of his body with green on the bottom.

I still highly recommend what I stated above :) How close is he able to get to his basking light? Either way, handling 2-3 times daily is quite a bit!

I still highly recommend what I stated above :) How close is he able to get to his basking light? Either way, handling 2-3 times daily is quite a bit!

I have a bend a branch the runs under it about 6-7" away from it. Im not tryin to say that your not right on the handling, but his he went back to green when I was holding him, and when I took him outside he wouldnt leave my hand. He turned a real bright green with lil orange dashes down his side, so I really dont think its me. Also I might add that I had a veiled about 8 years ago that I did the same things with, excluding the cage mate.

Sorry, wasnt tryin to be a dick. I was just throwin it out there its not my first veiled. I'm goin to lowes over the weekend to get suplies for anther cage. Also his swelling has got me a little conserned so I'm taking him to the vet first thing in the morning.

*UPDATE*

Went to the vet today, and all is well. He has his own cage with a divider between his and the females cages. He has been a bright green all day, and seems way happier.

Glad to hear you separated them

When I first got my chams, I kept them together and every time I did try separating them, my male went on hunger strikes and acted stressed.

At about 6 months old, the male started having health issues. Everyone on the forum and my vet said to separate them. I only wish I had done it sooner.

Come to find out, even if they appear to be doing well, one of them will be dominant and the other will not thrive over time. And, the effects can add to problems for the rest of their lives. I am still dealing with health issues with my little guy. They may or may not have been caused by being the low man on the totem pole, but that definitely didn't help anything.

So, congrats on separating them. I'm glad your little guy is doing better now too.

Back
Top Bottom