Baby veiled going for a fruit fly and poop question

patrickfraser

My babies are doing well. It looks like the final count is at 43. I was wondering about their poop. The poops are tiny and appear to show signs of dehydration with the orange in the urates. Is this normal coloring or are they not getting enough water? I have never had babies, so I don't know what's "normal". They are all pretty active, except for 4 that I have separated due to their lack of activity.
DSCN7306_zps88e07b14.jpg

How often are you watering them? At that age I mist them at least twice a day. Good looking little guy, it wouldnt hurt to try some pinhead crickets into the diet mix.

Yes orange urates are a sign of dehydration. I would be running drippers into each of their enclosures and a good misting 3-4 times a day if I saw urates like that.

Awesome looking baby you got there. Yea those urates look kind of scary, Im not sure what it would take but a good start is definately more lol! good luck!

They definitely do not look too far gone to save. I would increase mistings, both frequency and also duration, the length of misting is in my opinion more important than the frequency because you may not be giving your chameleons enough time to recognize it is time to drink if your misting session is too short. Also for awhile at least have a dripper available to them 24/7. If you have an additional heating or basking lights, remove them and let your chameleons live at a reasonable ambient room temperature. Also ensuring your feeders are properly gutloaded and watered will help to combat dehydration. Good luck! Keep us posted :)

Do these look dehydrated?:confused:
DSCN7383_zps03fb7cbc.jpg

I mist them at least 3 times a day. I'm thinking those might be the "first poops" and they weren't drinking too much at the time.

Back
Top Bottom