baby veiled chameleon

princess111969

so I have a rescued baby female veiled chameleon I have had her about a little over 1 month. so I think she is between 3 to 4 months. I am wondering is it normal for them to grow at slow rate she hasn't grown much. I have seen her eat a couple times she doesn't like me to see her eat. she is not skinny and looks good to me. this is my girl ivy

Attachments

• 20230223_174845.jpg
    20230223_174845.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 59
Hello and welcome! Veiled chameleons grow at a very quick rate. How often are you feeding her and how much?

she is getting feed 2 times a day. she was kept in a 10 gallon tank before I rescued her I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

She should almost double in size every two weeks. You need to go on a scavanger hunt for more sticks for her to climb on. Bamboo, rubber tree sticks, etc wirk welk. Soak them in a water with 5% bleach to kill any bacteria or fungus before putting in cage. You can use zip ties to create a jungle gym. Fkukerfarms.com has vines with no leaves that i use which are good. vieleds eat greens so make sure all live plants are on chameleon safe list. Also try putting lettuce or collard greens in a bowl to see if she may like greens. You really should have the forum go over your setup and tell you what you need to have a proper setup. she should get 10 small crickets a day dusted with calcium powder without D3 daily except once every two weeks dust them with reptivite vitamins. Also you should mist the cage 2-3 times a day. you have to get a linear uvb light. The smaller ones for bulbs dont work. dont get one for the small cage you use now but a 24" for the cage she will grow into. Overhang is no problem and a basking light with a dimmer switch with 75-80 watt bulb make sure her basking branch is 6" below bulb if she gets too close she can burn herself. basking temp 80 degrees. Babies like to screen climb so all lights that give off heat should be proped up so its a few inches from screen. They are amazing creatures with very specific needs. They hide all illness and issues so you must keep a close eye. Once you notice an illness they go downhill real quick. BTW, Lack of growth is usually attributed to no or wrong uvb lights resulting in mbd. Metobolic bone disease. Bestbof luck to you. I am glad you found this forum and glad you rescued your little girl! Bravo!

Btw, loose crickets are really good for them to learn to hunt and get good targeting with eyes and tongue. I put them in a cup with a stick coming out so the criks can climb out and she can get out if she falks in. Dont use clear cup or she will keep hitting it with her tongue. I wedge the cup in somewhere so its not on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom