Baby Veiled Chameleon

Gray

Hello Everyone,
I am on the edge of buying a baby veiled chameleon and have done lots of research. I am wondering if there is any thing i need to know about buying chameleons from reptile expo's?
Also, how do i determine the health of the cham while at the expo. Don't want a sick one!
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Gray

Last edited:
You look for good weight and a full, supple skin that looks "moist" and plump. It's a guessing game when you are buying horrifically stressed animals. Stressed animals on the verge of death can look terrific. I've bought a lot of wild caughts and what you see isn't always what you get.

I would stay away from reptile expos. The animals there are very stressed and usually not in the best shape or sold way to young. If you like a vendor get a card and do some research and maybe you can order from them but I would pass on a reptile expo.

Thanks for your reply,
I am thinking about a captive bred veiled. I have read they have a temper, but if you tame them when they are young, will they still have that same sort of.. relaxation or allowance or your presence, or do you have to re-tame again? I am new to owning chameleons.

Thanks

Okay, thats understandable since they can easily be stressed. Would you recommend a place like LLLReptile?

Thanks

Also, I am getting the ZooMed chameleon kit for it, 16 by 16 by 30(when its a juvenile). I have read that the kits heat lamp is garbage and i and getting more plants and vine to go with it. The new heater I'm getting is a intense basking spot by eco terra. Rated at 8 inches from the lamp it is approximately 81F. I have read baby chams need it a little cooler than adults. What do you think?

Okay, thats understandable since they can easily be stressed. Would you recommend a place like LLLReptile?

Thanks

Also, I am getting the ZooMed chameleon kit for it, 16 by 16 by 30(when its a juvenile). I have read that the kits heat lamp is garbage and i and getting more plants and vine to go with it. The new heater I'm getting is a intense basking spot by eco terra. Rated at 8 inches from the lamp it is approximately 81F. I have read baby chams need it a little cooler than adults. What do you think?

I’ve ordered a few reptiles from LLL and I’ve had mostly good luck with them but it’s hard to say some people may love them and some may dislike. I’m not sure what lights come with the kit but I would make sure all of your temps, humidity and what not is ready for the little guy.

the coiled uvb is bad all around get the uvb tube and hood for it you can see mine if it has a plastic cover you can remove that as well. If I remember correct it comes with a blue heat lamp.. you could switch that out for a incandescent light.

The UVB light that comes with it is not really coiled. More like two small tubes next to each other. I will look at the tube+covers though. Do they last long?

The UVB light that comes with it is not really coiled. More like two small tubes next to each other. I will look at the tube+covers though. Do they last long?

You definitely need a long, linear tube fluorescent UVB with a hood. The ones that come with the kit or no good. The tube ones last a year before needing replacement

Ok, thanks will look into it. It seems like a lot of UVB for a little guy, but if it will keep him healthy i will do it.

Thanks, I just looked on LLLReptile and they are sold out. What about FL Chams, they're in stock?
i've never purchased from them but heard good things about them. If you put live plants inside of the inclosure it will help keep humidity higher in the enclosure. Look at safe plants on the forums here.

My male veiled is from FLchams. No complaints at all. He arrived healthy and active and started eating the same day.

Veiled are known for their tempers. I hate the word "taming" lol. Its more taking the time for them to trust you and associate you with treats in my experience. My cham has a mood swing almost every 6 months... Currently, he tolerates my presence but a few months ago, he would go out of his way to bite me. When he was young, 4-6 months old or so, he would always climb onto my hand if I gave him the chance.

As for the UVB, if you have a lot of plants and foliage for him/her to hide in, the cham will be able to get away from the UVB light if it needs to.

My cham is from the driskel bloodline. Since I havent bought a regular cham from them I cant say if its worth it. I went with the premium just for the peace of mind that the parents had no health issues that could be passed on to the offspring.

This is my Veiled at approximately 1 year old.

IMG_20171121_122457_776.jpg

Handsome Cham. That is a good point. You would think that the normal chams parents would be healthy, but you never know. probably better to go safe than sorry

Handsome Cham. That is a good point. You would think that the normal chams parents would be healthy, but you never know. probably better to go safe than sorry

You can always call or email FLChams any questions. They are very helpful and I think they breed all of their own chameleons so the premium chams are just part of a selective breeding for color or other traits.

Also, Can Chams deal with traveling. I read that this can cause stress, but someone said that if you put the cham in a shoe box with a stick going through the box. They will get in the box and since its black inside they will automatically start sleeping. Thoughts.
I travel far enough to where i would have to bring the cham and couldn't leave it with a friend. I can give details

oh, they probably wouldn't sell sick chams. so its more about color and some size thats separates them. Good to know

Back
Top Bottom