Baby Rudis with what looks like a neurological problem

Te3464

Hello all,

I purchased a baby rudis chameleon and i learned my lesson the hard way. she was a wreck from the shipping, when i was opening the door to keep the fedex guy from knocking(roommate has a big dog and it was early) he was in the process of literally DROPPING the box on my doorstep. i gave him a concerned look as he walked off of my porch and i asked him where i needed sign and he just waved his hand over his shoulder and said "nope youre good", i insisted on signing knowing of the fine print legalities with stuff like that and he still just wouldnt let me sign and he continued on his way. that was the omen for all of it. when i took her out of the box i was very delicate and place her on the floor of the cage, she was still clinging to the paper towel for dear life. She did not move from her paper towel perch for about an hour and a half to two. and once she did it broke my heart, she could not walk correctly at all. her front two legs seemed to work properly but her back to legs were going all over the place, grabbing at her eyes, grabbing her front legs, grabbing her side. she would just wriggle back and forth trying to make forward progress but being unsuccessful she would just give up, lay down where she was at and close her eyes, at this point it was noon and she had arrived roughly two hours ago. i wrote off the odd walking as stress from the move just to keep a positive mind. but things got worse she was unable to climb things properly and could not hold onto branches. she had was looked like severe MBD but this would be highly unlikely for such a young chameleon. she was only around 1"-2". i continued to mist the cage throughput the day keeping the temperature between 75 and 80 never letting it drop below 75 and the humidity stayed between 80-88ish with some fluctuations to the 90s but not really. i turned her lights off last night around 10pm, when i checked on her last for temp/humidity she was curled up in a ball on the floor of the cage still breathing, but irregularly. When i woke up this morning i discovered a deceased chameleon on my tank floor. she was laying on her side and was quite stiff the most notable sign of her death was that all four of her limbs had turned to a dark brown color, as well as parts of her head.
Overall im ashamed of myself for thinking i could've trusted a website, it was just too good to be true. i have many pictures of her and a few videos as well if anyone is interested, i would really enjoy some input on what she might have had going on cause my best guess is a neurological disease/spinal or neurological parasite. the company just keeps mentioning their "guarantee" and how i fall under it but within the 6 emails sent there is no specific description of this "guarantee". I plan to go down with a fight, in my mind its considered fraud to send 1)unhealthy chameleons and 2) a chameleon way too young. she honestly seemed disoriented and almost just insane. way too young to be sent through the mail, i had no idea she would be what looked like less than 3 months old. thank you im sorry it was so long, i had a lot to say this all just happened this morning so its still fresh.

TL;DR I ordered a baby rudis chameleon and it came in with either a parasite or some kind of neurological disease and then died after only being in my possession for less than 24 hours. please PM me if interested i have a couple videos of her walking but they are too big to upload here but can be sent over email.

Attachments

• IMG_3347.jpg
    IMG_3347.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_4421.jpg
    IMG_4421.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 150
Why are these types of posts not allowed i am just asking for expertise on a health problem? the forum is called "health clinic"

It's not allowed as it is specific to a company or breeder. You are more than welcome to post health issues on here to get advice, however mentioning the name of the company or breeder is not allowed.

Welcome to the forums! Thanks for editing your post for the rules. :)

I am so sorry you had to go through such a tragic situation. :( When a chameleon dies they often will have regional color changes on various parts of the body varying from light to dark. So that's not an indicator of anything in particular. The little one may have been injured during shipping...as you saw, the shipping company employees are not gentle with packages. Even if not truly injured the stress of shipping on a very young chameleon can sometimes be just too much and when you get them out they show signs of shock, which can be a variety of unusual behaviors. I think you just had a cham that did not handle shipping stress and unfortunately it can easily be fatal. Even I had one who had that happen. Definitely get your refund or replacement. Sorry for your loss.

If you are interested in still working with this species pm me. I would be glad to send you a happy healthy 3 month old for no cost as long as you can cover the shipping.

Carl

Reactions: RyU
If you are interested in still working with this species pm me. I would be glad to send you a happy healthy 3 month old for no cost as long as you can cover the shipping.

Carl

That's really nice of you. Cheers! :cool:

Carl

Carl, I think I'm having trouble with the PMs for some reason, I'm very interested in your offer. Please email me at [email protected]
Thank you so much again,

Connor.

Carl is a awesome dude he took great care of me when i purchased from him and all the ones i got from him are phenomenal

Honestly not sure what you expected from a live animal sent through the mail. Yea I understand the website lied and all that but I don't support the purchase and shipment of animals in that way. I think that was where you went wrong.

Hundreds of reptiles are shipped monthly through Fed Ex. With proper packing and watching the weather on the receivers end there should be no issues with shipping. Fed ex is the only approved company for shipping. If you use other companies to ship you are doing so against their company policies.

Carl

Back
Top Bottom