Baby Panther turning black

jakeg

Hello, so my new little panther somtimes in the morning is super dark, almost black, I was just wondering if common, or what particular mood he may be in. Last, since I am still unsure if male or female, does this coloration lend to either sex?

Dark colours can indicate that they need to absorbe heat from the sun basking spot.

Night colours are usually white to keep the heat trapt inside their body.

What kind of chameleon is this?
What is the temperature inside the enclosure (daytime and at night)?

Its a amilobe x sambava, daytime temp 8 inches from the heat lamp is around 85, and nighttime it gets to right about 70 degrees. That makes sense then cause its usually first thing in the morning when the light comes on he goes black.

Temp under basking spot should be aboute 93 F

the temp in the middle of your terra should lay around 77 F

At night time it's correct between 64 to 69 F. I keep mine at aboute 69 F.

How long have you had him? We were getting really scared about our new addition because he was very dark a lot of the time, but all I read was that it really is mostly the stress of moving. I couldn't believe it, as we provided the right temperatures and all, but after a few days he has now turned beautiful light colours and seems very happy. It also seems to be true that they are a bit darker in the morning to absorb the heat. :)
Mine seems to need his morning coffee (ie. a cricket) for a good start to the day!

My chamleon is an adult and yes he does turn bright colors at night and by the time the morning comes and I turn his lights on he is dark. Very dark in the morning but brightens up as the day goes on.:)

I have had my baby for 7 weeks or so he used to be black all the time in the beginning now he has settled in more. However if I go to try to handle him he gets black more spots now then solid black.

Back
Top Bottom