Baby panther tail damage

Clubber122

Is this anything to worry about? Looks like he's pulled some skin on his tail sticking it through the mesh roof of his exo terra
3u2usyje.jpg

5uhyraga.jpg

Its hard to tell from the pictures. You need to watch the black parts to be sure its just bruised and not necrotic. If it starts to spread you will need to see a vet asap as it would need treatment and/or possible amputation.

You can put neosporin on to prevent infection, be sure is plain neosporin and not the pain relieving version.

I have only noticed it after his shed, there where two bits left on his tail which I left for a couple days then wet them and rubbed them off, How do I upload high res image

If it is a retained shed, you need to remove it, cause it's blocking circulation. It looks like it's (the shed) still there.

Give it a wet and rub?

You can try taking a wet Qtip and setting there for a few seconds and gently rubbing it. It's really hard to tell if it is in fact leftover shed. Tail shots are a little difficult to see and my vision isn't the greatest! Haha!

I would suggest antibiotic ointment to moisturize and disinfect it. Just like the kind for minor scrapes or burns.

How this area is indented on both sides of the tail make me think this is possibly retained shed. Could be an injury and if it is i would leave it alone at this point. If this is retained shed you will want to follow what some have stated as wound treatment for moistening the dehydrated skin. You will want to remove this is it is.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 14y3epaju.jpg
    14y3epaju.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
I see what you are saying, the skin is pulled back like its peeled, he sticks his tail through the mesh, maybe he had his tail in and lost grip and held in by his tail

Quick update, this is his tail now after another shed

He's eating like a Piggy since I changed my Supplementation routine to the 3 method

u3ymyhy2.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380300758235.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380300758235.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 103
A similar thing happened to my panther's tail after I first got him. I was advised by the breeder to put neosporin on it. It helped SO much and now his tail is almost back to normal. In my opinion, his tail looks better..

It does look better but still visible. If it were me I would take him to the vet. I have seen tails get really bad really quick.

Back
Top Bottom