baby panther problem?

gogochameleon

I recently purchased a 3 month old panther. I have only owned him for a week now and his appetite is pretty good and he poops alot, and drinks everyday. I noticed he doesnt move around alot tho, and he lays down parts of the day on his side. Almost lathargic but not enough to call it that. As I was typing this, for the second time today, he tried to eat his tail. he had it curled around a leaf both times so only a little bit was poking around the leaf at him but he still shot at it and got it in his mouth and chomped but immediatly starts wiggling his tail away from himself and lets go. And he just tried it a third time....and there were crickets a tongue shot away, is this normal? Im really worried about him being "lathargic" or maybe he is just still adapting, my adult montium and my 1 month old vieled(I will be posting tonight) I got last night venture more than my panther, and he cannot see my other chams by the way, all separate.

gogochameleon

maybe show pictures to better describe the situation.

maybe we wants worm feeders, try supers,silks, and hornworms

how is the temps in his enlcosure and does he have a basking spot , gives temps

maybe fill out the "ask for help form"

i know it maybe very tedious but it helps see what might be wrong. or nothing might be wrong in husbandry and you might need to see a vet

but as long as he eats, poops, drinks well and doesnt have anything that is worstening over time then i wouldnt be too worried

keep an eye on things for any new changes/developments

goodluck

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

when he is on his side, is he basking? sometimes they will do that to increase the surface area that the light(heat) is hitting. is the basking temp appropriate?

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
He is a Nosy be/ambanja panther chameleon, male, aprox 3 months, chameleon has been in my care for 1 week

* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Only twice, and he seems to "like" being out.

* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Crickets, meal worms without head, few wax worms, and small lobster roaches when I find small ones in my roach colony. He will eat 4-5 crix, a meal worm or two and a wax worm throughout the day. I now gutload with kale greens and mustard greens and Flukers water gel.

* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Dusting with Flukers calcium w/o d3 every feeding to every other, and calcium with d3 every 2 weeks

* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I have a homemade dripper(drop every 3-5 seconds) that drips 3/4 of the day, I mist 2-4 times a day with spray bottle, I see him drink everyday!

* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Brown, firm but not hard, and I dont know if its just me but they are big poops for how small he is. Some yellow sometimes but not as much now.

* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Store couldnt say much, just that its a ambanja/nosy be cross and about 3 months. He was in a screen enclosure with 10+ other chams when I seen him about a couple monthes ago, and last week when I when picked him up there was two including him. He was the highest cham in the cage and looked the fattest so I took him, ha.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
30inch wide, 30inch tall, 15inch depth. Screen, wood frame.

* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Repti Glo 5.0 T8 24in uvb/uva and 60 watt clear house bulb. 1030am-1030pm

* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Average cage temp is 70, range from 66 at night to 74 during the day, basking average is 84. I use a midgrade outdoor/indoor thermometer/hydrometer.

* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
60-70 percent humidity, misting and dripper with help from plants. Midgrade thermometer/hydrometer

* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
I have Umbrella tree and I just put in a Pothos

* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
My bedroom, heater is around the corner about 8 feet away. No fans, or vents. Top of cage is 5 1/2 ft off floor

* Location - Where are you geographically located?
Washington state......BURR

My problem

I recently purchased a 3 month old panther. I have only owned him for a week now and his appetite is pretty good and he poops alot, and drinks everyday. I noticed he doesnt move around alot tho, and he lays down parts of the day on his side. Almost lathargic but not enough to call it that. As I was typing this, for the second time today, he tried to eat his tail. he had it curled around a leaf both times so only a little bit was poking around the leaf at him but he still shot at it and got it in his mouth and chomped but immediatly starts wiggling his tail away from himself and lets go. And he just tried it a third time....and there were crickets a tongue shot away, is this normal? Im really worried about him being "lathargic" or maybe he is just still adapting, my adult montium and my 1 month old vieled(I will be posting tonight) I got last night venture more than my panther, and he cannot see my other chams by the way, all separate. Here is some picks of him laying and normal with couple of the new Veiled, cage setup and my montium. Thanks for any info.

http://s1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/gogochameleon/

Last edited:
That looks like he is in a typical basking pose to me. They turn that way to absorb more basking rays.

Maybe its not hot enough, and He does it only in that spot now. I got a 60 watt house bulb. What bulb should I be using? 100 watt? Basking bulb from store?

Back
Top Bottom