Baby panther or something else?

Malepanther123

Hi,
I recently got this little baby Cham. Supposed be a male panther tamhaven youngling. But doesn't look like a male but maybe a female. Or a different type of chameleon. If it's a female I don't know how to care for one. I had a female veiled that died because of eggs. But thought that was only if breeding was done.
If isn't a male can this little one be up for adoption an can be done on here? Just don't wanna face what I experienced with female veiled. Recently got meds for my subadult male sambava an started eating again 👍. He was in overall good health just caught a parasite from crickets. So I feed Dubias now.

Attachments

• 20220216_171027.jpg
    20220216_171027.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 91
  • 20220216_170539.jpg
    20220216_170539.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 20220216_170545.jpg
    20220216_170545.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 84
It is a Panther chameleon. I can not tell gender. When they are young we look at the tail base. So a pic from the side view with the tail straight out would be helpful. This may help you http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2013/04/male-or-female-how-to-sex-baby-panther.html

Females really are not harder... They have lower temp requirements and feeder amounts as they mature and need a lay bin otherwise they basically have the same husbandry.

Can take a better pic. But got these two while he was exploring.
Temps for basking are like 80 for females right. Was told 86 but I use that basking temp for my male.
Have to figure out a laying bin. I done the potting soil/play sand before but female was never interested in it.

Attachments

• 20220216_174816~2.jpg
    20220216_174816~2.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 20220216_174813~2.jpg
    20220216_174813~2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 68
Can take a better pic. But got these two while he was exploring.
Temps for basking are like 80 for females right. Was told 86 but I use that basking temp for my male.
Have to figure out a laying bin. I done the potting soil/play sand before but female was never interested in it.
Looks female to me… where did you get it from?
So basking would be 78-80 for a girl right now you feed her un restricted.

You don’t need to stress a lay bin quite yet.

If others think it’s a girl I can give you more info tomorrow.

Looks female to me… where did you get it from?
So basking would be 78-80 for a girl right now you feed her un restricted.

You don’t need to stress a lay bin quite yet.

If others think it’s a girl I can give you more info tomorrow.
Thanks what I was afraid of. Had a bad vibe was female. But sometimes maybe I was missing something. I don't have good eyes anymore lol.
Morphmarket for 300 from a seller that gave me run around for a month. But so young I use the calcium without d3 every feeding or every other day? Think vitamins twice a month stays the same with females. Thinking maybe add a laying bin in the spring. Alot earlier shop for that stuff then.
Also are dracaena safe for chameleon? Found a real nice one last weekend for 9 bucks. Perfect size for my male enclosure.

Attachments

• 20220216_181740.jpg
    20220216_181740.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220216_182348.jpg
    20220216_182348.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 64
Also are dracaena safe for chameleon? Found a real nice one last weekend for 9 bucks. Perfect size for my male enclosure.
I'm not good at sexing—my eyes betray me. 😔

Dracaenas are fine. I've got several, both in & out of the enclosure, and he loves all of them.
They can grow fast though, so I'd read up on the species (if known) and think about the eventuality of it outgrowing the enclosure within a year. ;)

Not all species grow that fast, but I've got 3 that have grown more than three feet each in less than a year.

Hi,
I recently got this little baby Cham. Supposed be a male panther tamhaven youngling. But doesn't look like a male but maybe a female. Or a different type of chameleon. If it's a female I don't know how to care for one. I had a female veiled that died because of eggs. But thought that was only if breeding was done.
If isn't a male can this little one be up for adoption an can be done on here? Just don't wanna face what I experienced with female veiled. Recently got meds for my subadult male sambava an started eating again 👍. He was in overall good health just caught a parasite from crickets. So I feed Dubias now.
Pretty sure you have a girl. If you keep her diet strict enough, you won’t need to worry about egg laying. Panthers are also not as piggy as veiled girls.
I'm not good at sexing—my eyes betray me. 😔

Dracaenas are fine. I've got several, both in & out of the enclosure, and he loves all of them.
They can grow fast though, so I'd read up on the species (if known) and think about the eventuality of it outgrowing the enclosure within a year. ;)

Not all species grow that fast, but I've got 3 that have grown more than three feet each in less than a year.
Dracaenas are great plants for enclosures, and while they may grow quickly, you can always chop off the top.

Thanks what I was afraid of. Had a bad vibe was female. But sometimes maybe I was missing something. I don't have good eyes anymore lol.
Morphmarket for 300 from a seller that gave me run around for a month. But so young I use the calcium without d3 every feeding or every other day? Think vitamins twice a month stays the same with females. Thinking maybe add a laying bin in the spring. Alot earlier shop for that stuff then.
I could be wrong it is still young but I am not seeing any sort of bulge on the tail base. Dracaena are perfectly fine. Just ensure she has branches they do not support a chams weight well. I use them and add the branches around the plant.

So for any cham you want to ensure your dusting all feeders each feeding. The rule of thumb is calcium without D3 at all feedings and then a multivitamin with D3 and A two times a month say on the 1st and the 15th. What multi are you using?

As she matures you will have to start cutting back her food. By about 6 months she should be getting about 5-8 small feeders each day. At about 7 months you want to slowly reduce by cutting down feeder amounts so that she is on a feeding schedule of 3 days a week with 3 feeders. You want them to be on this schedule by the time they are 9-10 months old.

You will not ever want basking to be over 78-80 for her. Very important for females because as she ages she needs this temp no higher at basking to help control the amount of eggs she produces. Check your temps with a wired probe at basking branch. If branch is sitting at 76 then the temp higher where she basks will be roughly 78.

Here is the info on the lay bin. Most use all moist playsand.
A lay bin should be added as a permanent fixture by the time they are 6 months old so they get used to it and it does not cause stress.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

laybin graphic.jpg

Might have to change your username lol

Pretty sure you have a girl. If you keep her diet strict enough, you won’t need to worry about egg laying. Panthers are also not as piggy as veiled girls.

Dracaenas are great plants for enclosures, and while they may grow quickly, you can always chop off the top.
If you choose the top can it be replanted or just for shortening?

Might have to change your username lol
Not exactly lol this is my new boy I got today. With colors thinking it's male but still on small side. Just didn't seem as active when I got my first male. He climbed out of the dish they put him in. So put him in this area an took these photos.
Didn't eat or drink with few hours I kept a eye on him. Just hide in a potho pot bottom stems. Maybe thinking was humid recently watered these ones. Went with silk fake foliage until spring. Got wiped with mealy bugs this winter. An took bad ones out in case they can get my chams sick. But this boys enclosure everything is new an repotted.
2x2x4 enclosure with plastic sheeting for hybrid. No misting yet my mistking is tapped. Just sprayed dripped with 7th nozzle.
Just offered crickets today an mostly just viewing his behavior. I have a hobby Stat vivarium electronics. Should I keep basking Temps at 80 or 85 for a male. Went with similar setup as my other male but few different things with not alot of live plants. Have a dimmer switch on his an works well with changing Temps stay with 85 basking. But recently heard could be why my cage drying out to fast. Trying figure out another misting system mostly a solo. But there same price as the mistking. But thinking this is my last chameleon as things are getting expensive. But worth it for there health. With others that keep panthers of both sexes. Always had question is it ok to house them next to one another in different cages of course. Can they sense a female or even a male. Or is it just if they can see one another? I recently moved female close to this male for nozzle connection. Just have to figure out drainage. This cage is leaking badly so a run off could help.

Attachments

• 20220222_135423.jpg
    20220222_135423.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220222_135435.jpg
    20220222_135435.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220107_161411.jpg
    20220107_161411.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 66
Not exactly lol this is my new boy I got today. With colors thinking it's male but still on small side. Just didn't seem as active when I got my first male. He climbed out of the dish they put him in. So put him in this area an took these photos.
Didn't eat or drink with few hours I kept a eye on him. Just hide in a potho pot bottom stems. Maybe thinking was humid recently watered these ones. Went with silk fake foliage until spring. Got wiped with mealy bugs this winter. An took bad ones out in case they can get my chams sick. But this boys enclosure everything is new an repotted.
2x2x4 enclosure with plastic sheeting for hybrid. No misting yet my mistking is tapped. Just sprayed dripped with 7th nozzle.
Just offered crickets today an mostly just viewing his behavior. I have a hobby Stat vivarium electronics. Should I keep basking Temps at 80 or 85 for a male. Went with similar setup as my other male but few different things with not alot of live plants. Have a dimmer switch on his an works well with changing Temps stay with 85 basking. But recently heard could be why my cage drying out to fast. Trying figure out another misting system mostly a solo. But there same price as the mistking. But thinking this is my last chameleon as things are getting expensive. But worth it for there health. With others that keep panthers of both sexes. Always had question is it ok to house them next to one another in different cages of course. Can they sense a female or even a male. Or is it just if they can see one another? I recently moved female close to this male for nozzle connection. Just have to figure out drainage. This cage is leaking badly so a run off could help.
Absolutely stunning colours, and most definitely a boy this time.
If you choose the top can it be replanted or just for shortening?
If you cut the right amount (around 8” is ideal) you can easily root the cutting.

But thinking this is my last chameleon as things are getting expensive. But worth it for there health. With others that keep panthers of both sexes. Always had question is it ok to house them next to one another in different cages of course. Can they sense a female or even a male. Or is it just if they can see one another? I recently moved female close to this male for nozzle connection. Just have to figure out drainage. This cage is leaking badly so a run off could help.

I haven’t had any males so far that don’t get stressed out when they can see females, even if they’re in a cage 6-8 feet away. The first time I put them in an arrangement where my male could see any of my females he immediately started pacing the side of the cage nearest the females cages non-stop
(I separated them until I was able to make the blackout panels)
I can’t say for sure if every male will do it to this extreme but it can definitely be a big stressor in my opinion. I went with the cost efficient method of blocking his view of them by covering one side of the female’s cages by purchasing some black plastic sheets to make my own cage dividers, which are essentially just blackout panels for the sides of the female cages facing my male.
Once I covered the sides that were facing my male he returned to his normal behavior and I haven’t had any issues since.
Now whenever I add a new cage to my Chameleon room I block off the sides that will expose them to my other Chameleons ahead of time to reduce their initial stress level that comes with being introduced to a new cage and environment.

Last edited:
He is a young stunner!🤩
It just goes to show you how difficult sexing baby and juvenile Panther’s can be...
Well at least it can be to me at times still, sadly 🥺

There are some of the most knowledgeable breeders and owners here on ChameleonForums so don’t hesitate to reach out for help any time you aren’t sure about something. I can’t begin to say how much this forum has helped and properly educated me on Chameleons, it’s truly a treasure trove of information!

You said..."Can they sense a female or even a male"...I'm sure veileds can...not as sure about panthers...but maybe.
Don't own any female veiled just my 3 boys that are shedding an doing amazing. Panthers have similar care as veiled but alittle off with Temps an humidity. Know chameleons can smell even panthers thought maybe they can sense a female this way.
My new panther that's a male. Isn't as active as my first male. When he's basking has a odd black patch on his side. Very dark in color. I tried take a pic but didn't capture what what u was seeing.
Just very odd doesn't drink an his stool was gravy like even the urine.
Have a pic of his enclosure but is basking an taking uvb.

Attachments

• 20220223_213330.jpg
    20220223_213330.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 20220223_164345.jpg
    20220223_164345.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 20220222_135235.jpg
    20220222_135235.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom