Baby Panther Not Eating Much, Starting to Worry

From the panther chameleon care sheet on this website, for everyone's reference:

"Ambient temperature refers to the temperature near the bottom of the cage and basking temperature refers to the hottest point accessible to your chameleon. Basking is where a chameleon absorbs heat from an external overhead source to help regulate their body temperature; it also promotes proper digestion and a healthy metabolism. Nighttime temperatures can safely drop down to 50F (10C) so a night heat source should not be used unless temperatures are lower than this. If night heat is needed a ceramic heat emitter or space heater should be used, not a light bulb, even red or black bulbs."

For feeding, would you prefer her to hunt the insects down or eat them out of a cup? If it’s a cup, get a plastic cup/solo cup/feeding dish/feeding cup/small plastic jug or make your own out of PVC pipe (or buy premade at fullthrottlefeeders.com) or a 1 gallon water jug and wedge it between some vines or secure it to the screen about halfway/three quarters of the way up her cage

I would prefer for her to cup feed, I think the cup I was using was too dark and useless since it had to stay on the bottom of the cage. I think I'm going to use the water jug idea to feed her. Right now I perched a plastic feeding dish on top of her ficus and put the crickets in there. Hopefully that will work for the time being.

I would prefer for her to cup feed, I think the cup I was using was too dark and useless since it had to stay on the bottom of the cage. I think I'm going to use the water jug idea to feed her. Right now I perched a plastic feeding dish on top of her ficus and put the crickets in there. Hopefully that will work for the time being.

That's a good idea! It can take some chameleons a little bit to adjust to cup feeding, but it's ultimately very very useful. I like to put the feeding container near and below the basking spot, so the cham can see the bugs while it's basking.

From the panther chameleon care sheet on this website, for everyone's reference:

"Ambient temperature refers to the temperature near the bottom of the cage and basking temperature refers to the hottest point accessible to your chameleon. Basking is where a chameleon absorbs heat from an external overhead source to help regulate their body temperature; it also promotes proper digestion and a healthy metabolism. Nighttime temperatures can safely drop down to 50F (10C) so a night heat source should not be used unless temperatures are lower than this. If night heat is needed a ceramic heat emitter or space heater should be used, not a light bulb, even red or black bulbs."
I know, I’m not saying your wrong or trying to pick a fight. I SWEAR a couple of months ago the care sheet said 68*. My VERY experienced and knowledgeable chameleon vet says that, too. People have different ways, I was saying mine

I know, I’m not saying your wrong or trying to pick a fight. I SWEAR a couple of months ago the care sheet said 68*. My VERY experienced and knowledgeable chameleon vet says that, too. People have different ways, I was saying mine

No worries. This topic just comes up all the time, so I am always quick to respond to nighttime temp concerns

Okay, so she needs WAY more horizontal branches everywhere, it’s how they get around, the more, the merrier.

Love the plants at the bottom however it looks very empty in the middle/top area and this is where they spend most of their time. She might not feel safe enough and stress will cause them not eat, this could be a big factor.

More branches and vines at all different levels and angles and larger plants so she has plenty of opportunity to go where she wants in the cage and hide away. I would cover a few branches with fake plant also so they are less exposed.

Love the plants at the bottom however it looks very empty in the middle/top area and this is where they spend most of their time. She might not feel safe enough and stress will cause them not eat, this could be a big factor.

More branches and vines at all different levels and angles and larger plants so she has plenty of opportunity to go where she wants in the cage and hide away. I would cover a few branches with fake plant also so they are less exposed.

Thank you so much. I need to add more branches right away.

Thank you so much. I need to add more branches right away.

You'll see a big difference right away! Placing horizontal branches at all different levels of elevation in the enclosure just help them get around and explore. Plus, you can interweave plants with the branches, which just adds a really beautiful look overall. Each new branch is like a new walkway to go exploring on. I tend to use push-pins or eyelet screws to attach them

1010181428_HDR.jpg
Hey guys!

Thank you all so much for the recommendations! I added a bunch of branches and started putting her feeding bowl under Poussey's basking lamp and she has been eating and roaming around so much more. She seems a way more happy now. I'm going to keep adding more branches and hiding places. Thanks again!!!

View attachment 215398 Hey guys!

Thank you all so much for the recommendations! I added a bunch of branches and started putting her feeding bowl under Poussey's basking lamp and she has been eating and roaming around so much more. She seems a way more happy now. I'm going to keep adding more branches and hiding places. Thanks again!!!
When you ge the money, get a mister and a t5HO linear uvb fixture and bulb. Good job!

Back
Top Bottom