baby panther chewing on vines??

pr3mo14

So I recently got a 3 month old BB panther chameleon. He has an amazing appetite, drinking well, and super friendly. I've noticed the last 2-3 days once in a while I'll see him biting at our exo terra jungle vines in his habitat. I haven't seen him take bites or chunks off at all, just attacking it if you will.. He eats a minimum of 8-12 crickets/roaches a day, so I know he's not hungry, and I spray him 3-4 Times a day for 30-45 second each time and he RUNS towards the water he loves it. He drinks well daily. I have done research and seen many familiar posts but still concerns me... Is this normal? Ok? Not too much to worry about as long as he is not taking chunks or pieces off? Any suggestions is appreciated! Thanks Sean

Make sure you are feeding him as much as he wants. I know some people let them eat as much as the can in five minutes! he might still be hungry.

Yes it is normal, well sort of... Not all will chew on things, but many will. I don't think anyone really knows why, but speculation is there is some sort of mineral or vitamin lacking in their diet. I don't think this has ever been proven, so don't freak out! As long as he is not breaking off pieces and swallowing them, not to really worry too much.

I don't even need to read your post... let me guess... you have a male... They just do it and it will stop at around a year old.

Haha ours used to do that too. He's a male ambilobe, he stopped around 6 months although he does still eat leaves off his hibiscus :p

I think its normal and they probably do it often in the wild. I recorded video of a recently imported young female pardalis eating dried vines that were growing on some bamboo in my yard. She seemed to know exactly what she was doing and I didnt stop her because I know the vine was non toxic.

:eek:
I think its normal and they probably do it often in the wild. I recorded video of a recently imported young female pardalis eating dried vines that were growing on some bamboo in my yard. She seemed to know exactly what she was doing and I didnt stop her because I know the vine was non toxic.

Males continue up to about one year old. Females I hardly ever see do it. For them, I think it is more looking for some hydration vs the males being plain loony. :eek: Can be annoying though. I had to move one male from my tv room, he made noise constantly!

I don't even need to read your post... let me guess... you have a male... They just do it and it will stop at around a year old.

This was essentially going to be what my post said. My male did the same thing. He mouthed most things in his enclosure when he was around 4-5 months old. He sure told them who was boss! He doesn't do this anymore. The most important thing is that there isn't anything inside his enclosure that he could ingest that could potentially cause him to become impacted in case he tries to diversify what he is chewing on.

thanks for all the replies and suggestions guys!! appreciate it very much! :). I have not seen him do it the last couple days so I dunno. maybe just a thing hes goin through like most of you mentioned

Back
Top Bottom