Baby panther chameleon eyes closed while close to heat bulb

Tnest

For the past two days, (i've had baby for 7 or 8 days) I would wake up and see him basking with his eyes closed, but when he sees im there he seems to open them for the rest of the day (i'm not sure exactly as recently i've been leaving the house for long periods). I'm extremely worried because i contacted the breeder and he said he looks very fine and healthy and that unless his eyes are closed all day and hes looking lethargic and dull then it maybe means something. But I don't know what to do as i really am worried about him and I dont want him to die or something. I'll attach some photos of him, yesterday he didnt show interest in food but just now he ate one cricket but only when it crosses his path and i'm not nearby the cage, he's not interested in his feeding cup and before these past two days he was eating 4 bigger crickets a day. Right now his eyes are open since like i said once he notices my presence they are open and alert. The two photos where he's a duller colour, he's under the basking lamp and these were from today and yesterday, the same spots i caught him basking with his eyes closed. The third photo was from maybe 4 days ago maybe 3. I'm not sure if maybe he's going to shed as that's what the breeder said but I don't know what to look out for to know when a chameleon will shed. I'm so worried :(
Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Panther Chameleon 3 months old
Handling - Rarely, just when i had to redo his enclosure 2 days ago (this was twice)
Feeding - Crickets everyday with calcium no d3, then he ate one cricket today with reptivite with d3. (first time giving reptivite)
Supplements - Repti calcium without d3, reptivite with d3
Watering - Misting system goes off every five hours for 30 seconds, I fog at night from 12-6 am
Fecal Description - I've only witnessed him poop once the first day i got him and haven't seen him pooping unless he does it when i'm away from home
History - Purchased from a reputable breeder
Cage Info: 24"x18"x36"
Cage Type - Hybrid
Lighting - Reptisun 5.0 t5ho linear, 75w basking bulb
Temperature - I don't have a temp gun but the temp meters say around 86 - 88 for the basking area
Humidity - about 45-50% during the day 80% during the night
Plants - Birds nest fern, normal fern, some palm plant, ivy, i don't know the name of the other plants
Location - Canada

unnamed (4).jpg
unnamed (5).jpg
unnamed (6).jpg

Last edited:
Are its eyes open the rest of the day? What specific bulb are you using for a basking light…brand? Color of light the bulb produces? Temperature in the basking area?

Are its eyes open the rest of the day? What specific bulb are you using for a basking light…brand? Color of light the bulb produces? Temperature in the basking area?
Eyes are open the rest of the day, but i don't know how long he would keep them closed if he didn't notice me.. bulb colour is like a warm colour i don't use any red bulbs or anything. I believe the brand is flukers but i can't remember as i mixed up their packaging but its a 75w bulb for sure. basking i think maybe 86-88 judging by the meter cause i don't have a temp gun

I also updated my post just now with an info sheet 💚

Heres another picture of him, i misted him because i was worried maybe he was impacted but i saw him poop after a 50 sec misting, and i also saw him drink water before the poop, i tried to find the poop but couldnt as i have a lot of foliage at the bottom of his enclosure. So he is hydrated and having BM's

Attachments

• unnamed (7).jpg
    unnamed (7).jpg
    141 KB · Views: 37
Imo opinion 86/ 88 is too hot for a baby I would have thought more like 80 , 82 max
I was just thinking that maybe i should reduce my bulb wattage. I used to have 100w and the breeder said its way too must and that i should go lower so i swapped with a 75w. Should i do 60w? Also do you think he would be closing his eyes while basking likely because he feels too hot?

I was just thinking that maybe i should reduce my bulb wattage. I used to have 100w and the breeder said its way too must and that i should go lower so i swapped with a 75w. Should i do 60w? Also do you think he would be closing his eyes while basking likely because he feels too hot?
I honestly can't say , without your full husbandry. About eyes I'm currently using an arcadia 50 watt solar basking because I know what I have . No two bulbs ( brand ,type are the same ) what bulb are you using

I honestly can't say , without your full husbandry. About eyes I'm currently using an arcadia 50 watt solar basking because I know what I have . No two bulbs ( brand ,type are the same ) what bulb are you using
I posted my husbandry in my main post, i think i'm using a zilla 75w

Yes you could drop the wattage down use the same type of bulb and see what temp you get , or stick it on a thermostat.
So you think it's most likely the bulb wattage then? He is basking for most of the day until around bed time he goes to find a sleeping spot. Does he look healthy? I just really need to ease my mind as almost every day i find something to panic about as i'm a first time cham owner so i want to be sure he is under good care

Temps are too high as mentioned. And looking at the pictures he pretty bright under the basking light and more normal coloring when walking around. When he’s basking under the heat light, does he also get uvb at that spot?
How big are your feeders? They should not be wider, in their body length, than the chameleons eyes / mouth.
You just did redid his enclosure? Meaning he was stressed from arriving and then stressed again after a few days? This could also be the reason for not eating and having his eyes closed, adapting phase.

On the pictures he does look healthy

Temps are too high as mentioned. And looking at the pictures he pretty bright under the basking light and more normal coloring when walking around. When he’s basking under the heat light, does he also get uvb at that spot?
How big are your feeders? They should not be wider, in their body length, than the chameleons eyes / mouth.
You just did redid his enclosure? Meaning he was stressed from arriving and then stressed again after a few days? This could also be the reason for not eating and having his eyes closed, adapting phase.

On the pictures he does look healthy
Ok i'm gonna switch to a 60w basking bulb. Gonna head to the store today for that. I think he also gets uvb at that spot but i'm not sure. I redid his enclosure twice, once 3 days ago and once two days before that. He's been left alone since three days, i think the crickets i feed him might be a bit big so i'll be sure to give him way smaller ones from the bunch,. I'm really glad he looks healthy on the pics. Thanks so much for the advice.

I think he also gets uvb at that spot but i'm not sure
This is important, especially because he basks a lot. UVB is also related to appetite and is a necessity for them. I.e. try to put the uvb above his basking branch and angle the heat next to it, to create a sweet spot of both.

i think the crickets i feed him might be a bit big so i'll be sure to give him way smaller ones from the bunch
Perfect 👍🏻

Ok i'm gonna switch to a 60w basking bulb
A normal incandescence light is good enough. No need for expensive reptile brand lights

This is important, especially because he basks a lot. UVB is also related to appetite and is a necessity for them. I.e. try to put the uvb above his basking branch and angle the heat next to it, to create a sweet spot of both.

Perfect 👍🏻

A normal incandescence light is good enough. No need for expensive reptile brand lights
Ah ok so I’ll try to angle the uvb closer, they are right up against each other though so I think he should be getting uvb, but I’ll see what I can do. And I also already ordered a 60w basking bulb from flukers that’s fine though right?

Ah ok so I’ll try to angle the uvb closer, they are right up against each other though so I think he should be getting uvb, but I’ll see what I can do. And I also already ordered a 60w basking bulb from flukers that’s fine though right?
Then you should be fine, if they’re already close to each other. As long as he gets UVB. That bulb is okay👍🏻 (they’re just more expensive 😉)

But keep a close eye on him (I know you’ll do) for closed eyes and he slowly needs to pick up eating again. With the correct feeder size, a baby should eat at least 10 feeders a day and in this phase they should have access to limitless food.

So you think it's most likely the bulb wattage then? He is basking for most of the day until around bed time he goes to find a sleeping spot. Does he look healthy? I just really need to ease my mind as almost every day i find something to panic about as i'm a first time cham owner so i want to be sure he is under good care
No I didn't say that . I just said temp was too high

But keep a close eye on him (I know you’ll do) for closed eyes and he slowly needs to pick up eating again. With the correct feeder size, a baby should eat at least 10 feeders a day and in this phase they should have access to limitless food.
Yeah I think my feeders are too big so I’ll give him a whole cup of little ones when I’m back home just so he can pick some out if he feels the need. Tomorrow I’m replacing his bulb and he’s been pretty active after basking

Back
Top Bottom