Baby panther chameleon climbing on light cover

Dave_Patrik

Hello,
my 4 month old panther chameleon has started climbing above the basking bulb as shown on the photo. Does anybody know why he might be doing that? I just randomly enter my room and he's climbed up there. He usually stays there for about 3 hours before going back down. I figured it might be because of the lack of sticks so I'm planning on adding some, but still want to make sure if there is something I'm doing wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_20210705_135914.jpg
    IMG_20210705_135914.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 113
Are your lights mounted inside the enclosure? They should be mounted on top of the enclosure, outside of the enclosure where your chameleon can’t touch them and get burned. I think he’s looking for heat. You’re right in that you need more branches but the highest branch where the chameleon would bask should be at least 9 inches below the basking light because any closer than that can cause burns.

What kind of uvb light do you have? You should have a linear uvb light the width of your enclosure. You need a T5HO reptisun 5.0 or an Arcadia 6%. I know it’s hard when you’re first setting up an enclosure for these guys and it’s expensive but it is so worth it to see these guys thrive! We’d love to see clearer pics of your guy!

Hello,
my 4 month old panther chameleon has started climbing above the basking bulb as shown on the photo. Does anybody know why he might be doing that? I just randomly enter my room and he's climbed up there. He usually stays there for about 3 hours before going back down. I figured it might be because of the lack of sticks so I'm planning on adding some, but still want to make sure if there is something I'm doing wrong.
Hi there this is why these kinds of cages are very dangerous for chameleons. And why it is recommended to use cages that you can mount the lights on top of the screen so they are not able to get to them. Chameleons being arboreal are going to climb as high as they possibly can. So a new cage needs to be the priority or modifying this one. Here is the help form if you would like to fill it out.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Ok no problem @Sonny13 can you put a care form on here please.
O damn, I thought you meant an other care form 🤔
Still this will be useful as well and Beman supplied the correct form 👍🏻

I’m guessing @Dave_Patrik is from the UK? because these enclosures are very common in the UK.
Modification of the fittings towards the outside on top of the enclosure is extremely prioritized for now, like @Beman suggested. Otherwise will end up with some serious health issues like burns.
And keep in mind that UVB can’t penetrate through glass and thats a primary life source for a Chameleon.

Last edited:
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? ----- Panther Chameleon ambilobe, male, 4 months, 3 weeks
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? ----the first two weeks i haven't handled him at all and after that once a week.
  • Feeding - I am feeding him crickets and have ordered some dubia roaches. I feed him about 8 pieces a day and gut load with sweet potato, carrot and dandelion.
  • Supplements - Once a week i dust crickets with reptivite, calcium and bee pollen.
  • Watering - Every morning just before the lights turn on and evening just before the lights turn off. I hand spray the enclosure. I see the chameleon drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Poop looks normal black and urea is white and sometimes a small part of it is orange.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - I use fully glass cage. 90x40x40cm
  • Lighting - I use LUCKY REPTILE HALOGEN SUN MINI 35W and repti planet uvb 10.0 desert 13w (http://reptiplanet.pet/portfolio-items/repti-planet-repti-uvb-10-0-2/) The schedule is 8-20 -> day and 20-8 -> night.
  • Temperature - The temperature during the day is 27-32 celsius. During the night the lowest temp is 20 celsius.
  • Humidity - The humidity in the middle of the enclosure is around 55% during the day and around 75% during the night. I spray the enclosure by hand.
  • Plants - I use Crassula ovata and calathea.
  • Placement - The cage is in my room in which he is alone for most of the day. It is not near any fans or anything like that. The top of the cage is about 2 meters high from the room floor.
  • Location - I live in Czech republic.

Hey again! So there's the care form. Thanks everyone for replying I appreciate you very much. After reading all your advice I am probably going to switch to a hybrid screen/glass cage and mount the light above the cage as you said. I just want to clarify if i buy the arcadia 6% or T5HO reptisun 5.0 I will only need that and a basking bulb right?

I just want to clarify if i buy the arcadia 6% or T5HO reptisun 5.0 I will only need that and a basking bulb right?
In principal, yes. However if you gonna use live plants, it’s recommendable to place an extra plant light like i.e. the Arcadia Jungle dawn led bar or a Sansi plant light. This will be extremely beneficial for plants as well as your chameleon (more daylight).

@Dave_Patrik See my feedback in bold.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? ----- Panther Chameleon ambilobe, male, 4 months, 3 weeks
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? ----the first two weeks i haven't handled him at all and after that once a week.
  • Feeding - I am feeding him crickets and have ordered some dubia roaches. I feed him about 8 pieces a day and gut load with sweet potato, carrot and dandelion. For a 4-5 month old I would feed him a bit more each day. 12-15 depending on how many he takes down.
  • Supplements - Once a week i dust crickets with reptivite, calcium and bee pollen. Ok so you need to use calcium without D3 at all feedings and then Reptivite WITH D3 Version 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. Post pics of the supplements you have so I can double check them. It is very important that they get the calcium without D3 to balance out the phosphorus to calcium levels of the feeders.
  • Watering - Every morning just before the lights turn on and evening just before the lights turn off. I hand spray the enclosure. I see the chameleon drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Poop looks normal black and urea is white and sometimes a small part of it is orange.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - I use fully glass cage. 90x40x40cm. So you would want either a hybrid or screed that is a minimum of 2x2x4 feet. This way you can mount lights on top of the cage.
  • Lighting - I use LUCKY REPTILE HALOGEN SUN MINI 35W and repti planet uvb 10.0 desert 13w (http://reptiplanet.pet/portfolio-items/repti-planet-repti-uvb-10-0-2/) The schedule is 8-20 -> day and 20-8 -> night. I do not understand your schedule but yes lighting is incorrect. You want a 24 inch T5HO fixture and either a 6% arcadia bulb or 5.0 reptisun bulb then you would have basking a measured 8-9 inches below the screen and the fixtures sitting on top of the screen. Lights should be on 11-12 hours and off the rest of the night.
  • Temperature - The temperature during the day is 27-32 celsius. During the night the lowest temp is 20 celsius. Daytime basking temp should run 27-30max no hotter. Cool down at night is really healthy for them. If you could get it down to 18 then that would be better.
  • Humidity - The humidity in the middle of the enclosure is around 55% during the day and around 75% during the night. I spray the enclosure by hand. This is good but you need air circulation... Enclosed cages with high humidity run the risk of the chameleon developing a Respiratory infection.
  • Plants - I use Crassula ovata and calathea.
  • Placement - The cage is in my room in which he is alone for most of the day. It is not near any fans or anything like that. The top of the cage is about 2 meters high from the room floor.
  • Location - I live in Czech republic.
Hey again! So there's the care form. Thanks everyone for replying I appreciate you very much. After reading all your advice I am probably going to switch to a hybrid screen/glass cage and mount the light above the cage as you said. I just want to clarify if i buy the arcadia 6% or T5HO reptisun 5.0 I will only need that and a basking bulb right? Yes, but you will want to do something for the plants as well. If you can get the arcadia pro T5 then you should be able to get the arcadia jungle dawn led bars there as well.

This is a great resource to learn accurate info. https://chameleonacademy.com/

chameleon-gutload.jpg
chameleon-food(1).jpg

I just want to clarify if i buy the arcadia 6% or T5HO reptisun 5.0 I will only need that and a basking bulb right?
You will also likely need plant lighting of some sort.
This one is excellent, being used by many members here.
https://www.sansiled.com/70w-led-grow-light-full-spectrum.html

Since chameleons tend to bask under the brightest light, I'd suggest angling your basking light (which is a good idea anyway) to shine on a basking site under the plant light. This will also provide a temperature gradient, so your cham can seek the temperature it desires.
1625586155577.png

Back
Top Bottom