baby panther cham roaming cage at night

Hi all,

Had our baby cham for a week now. He's a tiny 3 mos old. He's acclimated well, eats great, is active. Put on some weight too. Gets ready for bed 30 min before lights go out then sleeps till they come back on. This evening I accidentally woke him up when misting. His resting color is a light tan, tonight after he woke up, he turned dark brown almost black. I panicked and removed him from the cage to make sure he's ok. In retrospect that was really stupid. Although he's been in complete darkness for the last 4 hours he doesn;t seem to go back to sleep. I've been checking on him every hour or so and keep finding him in a different place, on the screen, every time. For the last 1 1/2 hrs he's been on the top screen, still moving around. When I go take a peak he's not moving, appears asleep (can;t really see his eyes, not gonna shine a light on him to check either) but if I go back after a bit, he's in a different spot. Nothing I've seen, read, indicates this is normal behavior. I am thisclose to a panic attack, has anyone experienced or heard of this type of behavior?

He didnt fall or hurt himself or anything right? I’m not a expert but the color change could be due the sudden surprise misting and holding after he was sleeping, so he’s probably has some fired up colors. (My girl who is a veiled chameleon gets dark dark green patterns when she is a bit frightened or angry!) id just say to let him settle and try not stress him out more. He might be trying to find a place in the cage where he feels comfortable To sleep again.

I know she’s not a panther chameleon, but here’s my girl all dark and mad when she didnt want to be held

Attachments

• A6149B68-41C6-4C2C-9500-DC060C04211D.jpeg
    A6149B68-41C6-4C2C-9500-DC060C04211D.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
He didnt fall or hurt himself or anything right? I’m not a expert but the color change could be due the sudden surprise misting and holding after he was sleeping, so he’s probably has some fired up colors. (My girl get dark dark green patterns when she is a bit frightened or angry!) id just say to let him settle and try not stress him out more. He might be trying to find a place in the cage where he feels comfortable To sleep again
he 100% did not fall. I now think the dark color was him being uber pissed at me - which is why I'm kicking myself for panicking and totally ruining his sleep by removing him from cage. He generally sleeps on one of 2 branches so I'm worried about his not being able to find his place again. And of course now I can't sleep. I tip toe to his cage in the dark and squint at the cage in the little light available from the fogger display. So yeah. Fun Friday night. I just hope he's ok.

he 100% did not fall. I now think the dark color was him being uber pissed at me - which is why I'm kicking myself for panicking and totally ruining his sleep by removing him from cage. He generally sleeps on one of 2 branches so I'm worried about his not being able to find his place again. And of course now I can't sleep. I tip toe to his cage in the dark and squint at the cage in the little light available from the fogger display. So yeah. Fun Friday night. I just hope he's ok.
Ok so he not hurt. He is most likely just abit frightened. He will probably find another position to sleep , he might just not be in his original spot tonight because of the sudden surprise.
it’s ok, sometimes they get spooked, either by us or random things, I’m sure he will be calmed down by the morning

Ok so he not hurt. He is most likely just abit frightened. He will probably find another position to sleep , he might just not be in his original spot tonight because of the sudden surprise.
it’s ok, sometimes they get spooked, either by us or random things, I’m sure he will be calmed down by the morning
Hope you are right! I might be a little paranoid, been reading too many horror stories on here. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom