Baby Panther Cage

Marc10edora

Avid Member
Alright,
I know it was kind of a gamble to buy a cham as an impulse buy, but I went ahead and did it. So I got a baby panther cham that I saw at the pet store and couldn't resist. The store owner said he got it from a local breeder 4 days ago. The sub adults in the other cages were from the same breeder and were marked as a Nosey Be + Sambava cross. But he really looked like a red barred Ambilobe to me. So who knows what I will end up with.
My cham looks like he is about a month old. The youngest I ever cared for was 3 months old. So now I have to brush up on my baby care. Right now I will start with the cage setup. This is what I put together in a flash. I will improve it in the mourning because I was in a rush to get him in there before bed time:
IMG_1458.jpg

Enclosure: I made a makeshift cage with a screen garbage can. I have a screened top to go with it.
Lighting: 5.0 Reptisun tube. One regular house lightbulb for a basking.
Temps: Not sure what temps to keep the basking light for babies.(I am researching on chameleonnews.com tonight.) My guess would be 80*F on the high end? I will pick up some thermometers tomorrow.
Humidity: I will be hand misting at least 3 times a day. I will be picking up a Hydrometer tomorrow. At what age should I start using my pro-mist? In about 2-3 months I will order a humidifier.
Feeders: I bought 100 pinhead crickets to last me through the week. They will be lightly dusted with pure phosforus free Calcium 2 times a week.
Dusted with the other Calcium with D3 3 times a week. Dusted with vitamins 1 time a week. I also currently have over 2000 Dubia. Way too large to feed off. I will have to start getting rid of some of my colony. But there should be about 500 nymphs in there. When can I start feeding Dubia? I will order baby silkworms this week and pick up some fruit flies.
Gutloading: I will gutload tonight with carrots. Tommorow I will pick up romain lettuce, bell pepper, and the other leafy thing that is full of calcium (Forgot the name Sorry)
Plants: Right now there is a fake plant vine in there with a fake larger vine.
I will be looking for a small pothos or ficus in the mourning.

Is there anything I left out? I know that the cham is pretty young for any breeder to sell. But I feel that I did a pretty good job raising my last one from three months old until he escaped. I will post a pic of him in the morning when he wakes up. There is a little bit of blue forming behind his head. I should either have a male or a really cool looking female. Let me know if there is anything to fix for my current set up. Thanks and wish me luck.

For one that young I'd skip the basking light altogether. Just keep the ambient room temperature 70-75F
They overheat fairly quickly. They can dehydrate fairly quickly too, so mist often. Alot will depend on your ambient humidty.

I used d3 only once a week for my babies (twice a month on adults), calcium without d3 almost daily, vits every other week.

if the nymphs are small enough, I wouldnt hesitate to use them along with the pinhead crickets, fruitflies, etc. You'll likely find fruit flies least expensive, but how you'll keep them in that trash can (neat idea BTW) I dont know! Maybe set the bottom of the trach bin in a tray of water? Is it metal - would it rust?

I'd avoid bell pepper as a gut load - loads of pesticides on and in those (thin skinned) unless you are getting organic. Dandylion leaves, collards, and squash are good gutload options in addition to what you mentioned.

Good luck!

A piece of banana or really ripe fruit will keep the fruit flies in for the most part but xpect some to get out. Put the fruit on a bamboo skewer and the flies will congregate around it.

For one that young I'd skip the basking light altogether. Just keep the ambient room temperature 70-75F
They overheat fairly quickly. They can dehydrate fairly quickly too, so mist often. Alot will depend on your ambient humidty.

I used d3 only once a week for my babies (twice a month on adults), calcium without d3 almost daily, vits every other week.

if the nymphs are small enough, I wouldnt hesitate to use them along with the pinhead crickets, fruitflies, etc. You'll likely find fruit flies least expensive, but how you'll keep them in that trash can (neat idea BTW) I dont know! Maybe set the bottom of the trach bin in a tray of water? Is it metal - would it rust?

I'd avoid bell pepper as a gut load - loads of pesticides on and in those (thin skinned) unless you are getting organic. Dandylion leaves, collards, and squash are good gutload options in addition to what you mentioned.

Good luck!

Thanks on the supplement advice. It's been a while from the last cham and my mind is stuck on the adult schedule. I'll try the fruit fly thing. The trash can is coated with something, so I don't think it will rust. Plus it feels way smoother than the mesh cages they sale at reptile shows. I'm hoping it will not cut off his toenails in the future.

What happened to the trash can? "i dumped it out" WHAT NOOOOOO. But really, nice idea.

That would be a nightmare..Haha. I was on a wild goose chase looking for a cage today. This was my last resort. I can't believe the pet store would sell baby chams and not have any cages for them.

Cool idea man!, Follow the steps Sandra gave above and you should do just fine...Some people prefer keeping baby's in "tubs" or "kritter keepers" to better control humidity, temps... As long as you keep an eye on your temps/humidity you should be good.. keep in mind how small baby's are, don't mist him/her directly,excessive misting can cause respiratory issues...

Cool idea man!, Follow the steps Sandra gave above and you should do just fine...Some people prefer keeping baby's in "tubs" or "kritter keepers" to better control humidity, temps... As long as you keep an eye on your temps/humidity you should be good.. keep in mind how small baby's are, don't mist him/her directly,excessive misting can cause respiratory issues...

I'm currently digging up my old misting hand pump. The nozzle on it gives off a really fine mist. I think it would be perfect for him.

Back
Top Bottom