Baby panther bins, pinhead crickets arent climbing

Ionstorm

I have setup some bins for my baby panthers, these bins are 12 inches wide x 15 inches high x 20 inches deep. Inside there are some wooden dowels used as highways and some fake plants for cover. They have UVB as well as a basking spot just below 80 so everything seems good. I am using some pinhead crickets and will be getting some 1/8 inch crickets shortly.

The problem I am having is the crickets seem to just hang out in the bottom and not climb up the plants to where the babies would see any eat them. How do you have your baby bins setup so the crickets go up where the babies can find them?

I would suggest getting a couple of fruit fly cultures for babies, they go a long way because you can get ALOT of them just from one culture.

I had a fruit fly culture, but I find they easily climb the plastic container and right out. How do people keep them inside?

You can also glue some screen to the side of the tub, the crix can use it as a climbing grid getting them into firing range.

I use a small glad cup for the crickets and put a small branch in with them and lean it onto the horizontal walkways. The crix climb up and onto the areas above the floor. Eventually the babies will recognize this and sit and wait for you to put circkets into the cup and then just pick them off as they climb up, or they will go right to the rim of the cup and start eating them out of that.
For fruitflies, I put enough lightly dusted flies in that the babies are not overwhelmed by them crawling all over and let them eat a little at a time. I keep open top bins for panther hatchlings so I get friut flies crawling the sides and along the top. I just dont put so many in that they get all over the place. It helps to put the flies in the feeding cup near the center of the bin. That way they get picked off before reaching the sides and eventually the top rim of the bin. Hope this helps.

Reptoman,

Thank you for the advice. I have tried this with a small cup and an extra piece of the dowel I had remaining. There is already one cricket up top, as well as 2 climbing up the stick.

Great advice.

Reptoman,

Thank you for the advice. I have tried this with a small cup and an extra piece of the dowel I had remaining. There is already one cricket up top, as well as 2 climbing up the stick.

Great advice.

Glad to help out!

Back
Top Bottom