Baby not growing and sick?

erin.rf

I got my baby chameleon 3 months ago and everyone talks about how fast they grow at this age but mine hasn’t seemed to grow much, if any. I got him from petco and he was doing great, eating and drinking like normal until just this week he hasn’t been eating much and appears dehydrated, he also started sleeping during the day which he never did before. nothing has changed in his enclosure, his mister is set to every three hours and i used to always see him drink but recently he’s seemed more lethargic. any thoughts? i’m thinking maybe he mayve been sick when i got him, especially coming from petco and that he hasn’t grown much but i’m unsure. the pictures are the first day i got him versus today

Attachments

• 28F5FA67-36BB-4C6F-B044-DDC47C84EC47.jpeg
    28F5FA67-36BB-4C6F-B044-DDC47C84EC47.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 014A903E-79EB-4AC3-B519-C05BD348C854.jpeg
    014A903E-79EB-4AC3-B519-C05BD348C854.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 120
Please fill out this forum and copy and paste your answers into the catergories provided:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I got my baby chameleon 3 months ago and everyone talks about how fast they grow at this age but mine hasn’t seemed to grow much, if any. I got him from petco and he was doing great, eating and drinking like normal until just this week he hasn’t been eating much and appears dehydrated, he also started sleeping during the day which he never did before. nothing has changed in his enclosure, his mister is set to every three hours and i used to always see him drink but recently he’s seemed more lethargic. any thoughts? i’m thinking maybe he mayve been sick when i got him, especially coming from petco and that he hasn’t grown much but i’m unsure. the pictures are the first day i got him versus today
Yes, please fill out the form. The little one looks very thin and dehydrated. Please include as much detail as possible in your answers and images of the cage lights down.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

male
veiled
juvenile
i’ve had him 3 months
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
occasionally to bring him outside on a nice day
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Crickets and occasionally super worms and horn worms, he normally eats around 10 a day
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
w/out d3 every day
w/d3 and multi vitamin every 2 wks
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
i use repti rain every 3 hours for 1 min
i see him drinking very often up until recently
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? normal fecal and urate
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
16.16.36 plan to upgrade when he grows 2 sides have seran wrap to help with humidity
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? see pics below
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? basking is 86. lowest overnight temp is 70
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? humidity is 60-80 right after misting
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
all fake plants
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?
in corner of room 3 feet off ground, not near a fan

lethargic and dehydrated and not growing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 114
Ok you need to up your misting to two minute sessions. With one longer 3-4 minute session in the afternoon. How old is he now? And did you have a fecal tested by a vet for parasites? Is the t5 a 5.0 bulb or a 10.0 bulb?

Was his most recent urates white? If so he's drinking he may just not be doing it in front of you. Are you gutloading your crickets and worms? If so with what? I'm thinking parasites as well. He looks like he's anorexic. Definitely needs to see a vet asap

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

male
veiled
juvenile
i’ve had him 3 months
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
occasionally to bring him outside on a nice day
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Crickets and occasionally super worms and horn worms, he normally eats around 10 a day
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
w/out d3 every day
w/d3 and multi vitamin every 2 wks
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
i use repti rain every 3 hours for 1 min
i see him drinking very often up until recently
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? normal fecal and urate
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
16.16.36 plan to upgrade when he grows 2 sides have seran wrap to help with humidity
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? see pics below
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? basking is 86. lowest overnight temp is 70
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? humidity is 60-80 right after misting
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
all fake plants
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?
in corner of room 3 feet off ground, not near a fan

lethargic and dehydrated and not growing
You missed a couple of questions. You need a T5 uvb or T8 linear bulb plus the fixture for it. Where is the cage? And yes like Beman said, up your misting maybe about every one hour. D3 is used twice a month and same with multivitamin, don’t use D3 and multivitamin in the same weeks, and are you gut loading your insects? What does the fecal (poo/pee) look like? The pee should be white if it’s yellow/orange that means dehydration. 16x16 is not big enough of an enclosure either.. please fill out the forum throughly and as detailed as possible...

You missed a couple of questions. You need a T5 uvb or T8 linear bulb plus the fixture for it. Where is the cage? And yes like Beman said, up your misting maybe about every one hour. D3 is used twice a month and same with multivitamin, don’t use D3 and multivitamin in the same weeks, and are you gut loading your insects? What does the fecal (poo/pee) look like? The pee should be white if it’s yellow/orange that means dehydration. 16x16 is not big enough of an enclosure either.. please fill out the forum throughly and as detailed as possible...
The form is fine I asked them the questions and they are ordering a larger cage just as you did. No worries.

Ok you need to up your misting to two minute sessions. With one longer 3-4 minute session in the afternoon. How old is he now? And did you have a fecal tested by a vet for parasites? Is the t5 a 5.0 bulb or a 10.0 bulb?
i’m unsure of his age because they didn’t tell me at the petstore. it is a 5.0 bulb. and no i have not had his fecals tested

i’m unsure of his age because they didn’t tell me at the petstore. it is a 5.0 bulb. and no i have not had his fecals tested
Ok I would say it is more then likely an internal parasite issue but again no way to be sure unless you take a stool sample to a vet. I would get the 10.0 bulb though Veileds need higher uvb levels. Up your misting times if you need to you can get any type of pan 2 inchs deep to set that cage into and put something under the corners so it drips out. Drill a few holes in the bottom of the cage and the water will go out. Otherwise you will have water everywhere.

i don’t use d3 and multi vitamin in the same week, i use them 2 weeks apart. i guy load with kale, apples, carrots, etc. his urate is white but small.

Ok I would say it is more then likely an internal parasite issue but again no way to be sure unless you take a stool sample to a vet. I would get the 10.0 bulb though Veileds need higher uvb levels. Up your misting times if you need to you can get any type of pan 2 inchs deep to set that cage into and put something under the corners so it drips out. Drill a few holes in the bottom of the cage and the water will go out. Otherwise you will have water everywhere.
okay thank you, i’ve been trying to figure out a good drainage because right now i’m just using paper towels which get gross pretty quick.

i don’t use d3 and multi vitamin in the same week, i use them 2 weeks apart. i guy load with kale, apples, carrots, etc. his urate is white but small.
Ok so do D3 on monday then the following monday do vitamin then the following week D3 and so on so it is every other week :) Any day of the week just follow that pattern. :)
This will help you as well.
Gutloading 101.jpeg
Basic Feeder pic.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom