Baby Mt. Meru Jacksons

lubben

PICTURES
Hey everyone, I bought a female mount meru Jackson chameleon a few months ago and she just happened to pregnant. About two weeks ago she gave birth to 6 babies. They've all been doing well except one died and I'm not sure why.
Now I have one that's been spending a lot I time laying down with his eyes closed. earlier I found him at the bottom with this eyes closed and we was not very responsive; he would not open his eyes and his arms were moving but his legs and tail were.
What do you think is causing these issues? Ive heard baby Jacksons just have a higher mortality rate but im not sure if that's true.

In the enclosure I have not seem them attack or crawl over one another. additionally, there is plenty of room or them to all haver their own space even when eating. I do not see them eating very frequently but they may be doing it when im not around.
I also spray and humidify the cage several times a day and humidify at night.
they have been supplemented with calcium and multivitamin but I lost the container so they haven't had it for two days, I ordered another.

UVB is T5 High Output and is about 3 months old.
Max temps daytime -about 81
Min temp daytime -73 to 75
nigh time temp -76

You could be over heating them or over supplementing them.
Here are the proper schedules including the one I use.
The standard three supplement regiment of a phosphorus free calcium, a calcium with D3 and a multivitamin without D3 has been used successfully for many years. I will quote the version from the resources section of the forum "Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. As a montane species (native to higher altitudes) Jackson's have decreased supplementation requirements compared to tropical species due to metabolism differences. Use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month."

I personally use a two supplement regiment of phosphorus and D3 free calcium mixed with powdered bee pollen and Repashy Calcium Plus LoD, the one with the Jackson's on the label. I don't know if the bee pollen is of any value but it seems harmless and probably at least provides dietary fiber. I consider it optional. My schedule is used with a T5 linear fixture with a 5.0 or 6% light. Monday, Wednesday and Friday I dust with phoshorus free calcium mixed with bee pollen 2:1 or 3:1. Twice a month I substitute Repashy Calcium plus LoD for a Monday's calcium. This way they get 2-3 doses of calcium per week and two doses of multi vitamin with a little D3 per month. Clearly the days of the week don't matter as long as they are every other and not more than three per week. When I keep my chameleons outdoors I modify the schedule to only one dose per month of the Repashy LoD and I'm only giving it for the multivitamins it provides.

Are you sure you have a Mt. Meru female and not a Mt Kenya female? Meru's haven't been available in the US for many years.

Getting them separated is important. They have very subtle body language and the ones that cant get out of the dominant ones territory become stressed. I separate mine in the first week into pairs and the by the first month singles.

Getting them separated is important. They have very subtle body language and the ones that cant get out of the dominant ones territory become stressed. I separate mine in the first week into pairs and the by the first month singles.
do you think the stress of being in one container could be the cause of their deaths?

You could be over heating them or over supplementing them.
Here are the proper schedules including the one I use.
The standard three supplement regiment of a phosphorus free calcium, a calcium with D3 and a multivitamin without D3 has been used successfully for many years. I will quote the version from the resources section of the forum "Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. As a montane species (native to higher altitudes) Jackson's have decreased supplementation requirements compared to tropical species due to metabolism differences. Use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month."

I personally use a two supplement regiment of phosphorus and D3 free calcium mixed with powdered bee pollen and Repashy Calcium Plus LoD, the one with the Jackson's on the label. I don't know if the bee pollen is of any value but it seems harmless and probably at least provides dietary fiber. I consider it optional. My schedule is used with a T5 linear fixture with a 5.0 or 6% light. Monday, Wednesday and Friday I dust with phoshorus free calcium mixed with bee pollen 2:1 or 3:1. Twice a month I substitute Repashy Calcium plus LoD for a Monday's calcium. This way they get 2-3 doses of calcium per week and two doses of multi vitamin with a little D3 per month. Clearly the days of the week don't matter as long as they are every other and not more than three per week. When I keep my chameleons outdoors I modify the schedule to only one dose per month of the Repashy LoD and I'm only giving it for the multivitamins it provides.

Are you sure you have a Mt. Meru female and not a Mt Kenya female? Meru's haven't been available in the US for many years.
they could be over heated because I live in Southern California and its about 90 outside today.
I have been trying my best to make sure their temp doesn't go over 81-82. The room temp is around 80 and I use a humidifier and mister to keep the temp down. is it possible for their environment to be too humid/moist?

I will definitely try that schedule too thank you.

Im not 100% she's a mount Meru but that's the name they told me at LLLReptile. they said that's the only one they've seen.
here's a video of her from earlier today lmk what you think.

Your girl looks too large to be a Meru they are the smallest of the three sub species. She is a jacksonii jacksonii like my male avatar.

Heat is definitely an issue for you i don't take my juveniles over 78 F until they are 9 mos to a year old and then only to 82 max.
An other factor that is affecting these babies is her condition at import while pregnant. I'm sorry you are having trouble with these but she will likely have another clutch in a few months.

Your girl looks too large to be a Meru they are the smallest of the three sub species. She is a jacksonii jacksonii like my male avatar.

Heat is definitely an issue for you i don't take my juveniles over 78 F until they are 9 mos to a year old and then only to 82 max.
An other factor that is affecting these babies is her condition at import while pregnant. I'm sorry you are having trouble with these but she will likely have another clutch in a few months.
awesome thank you for all your help.
I will make sure to get on that supplement schedule and move the babies to separate cages.
and I will do what I can to keep them cool, do you have any suggestions on how to do that?
also any other ideas to help meeker them healthy?

Also you don’t want to use a humidifier when temps are over 75 I think it is because you want cold humid air not hot humid air. Hot humid air is a recipe for respiratory infections I’ve been told. Misting them is fine though.

Back
Top Bottom