Baby Jackson forest feeding

Chamjack

Hello, new here. Just was wondering how you did the first feeding with flightless fruit flies? He's less than 3 months old , just arrived this a.m. and I count know when to feed or how? We have the fruit flies and calcium for dusting but he won't go into side of container to eat. Any helpful tips?? Thanks

Hello, new here. Just was wondering how you did the first feeding with flightless fruit flies? He's less than 3 months old , just arrived this a.m. and I count know when to feed or how? We have the fruit flies and calcium for dusting but he won't go into side of container to eat. Any helpful tips?? Thanks
So I saw where Bill Strand did this. Take a piece of egg carton like from the holder your eggs come in. Cut out a section so it is like a little cup. Take a slice of banana and put it in the bottom of the little area. Then you will dust and pour over your fruit flies onto the banana. They will stay near the fruit rather then go everywhere. Set this little crate into the plants towards the top so he can see into it. . Baby should just go after it without issue.

@JacksJill is really great with info though.

If he has never fed from that container or that type of food before, he might not understand where/what the food is. If he likes hand/tong feeding you could always try that (I know tongs aren't always safe, so just be careful to hold it very lightly so you don't sprain their tongue). Honestly it might take him a little while to learn that food comes in that bowl and looks like that, I know my chameleon when I got her had never used a feeder cup before and I had to hand-feed for a while before she made the connection. I would definitely suggest at least trying hand feeding, or maybe getting his attention with one in your hand and leading him to the bowl.

As for when to feed and how as he's young you're gonna want to feed him every day so he can grow big and healthy :) The calcium is really great too, so good job for using it! I don't know how many males should eat every day bc I have a female but I'm sure someone can let you know.

I would also highly recommend if you haven't already to do the husbandry review sheet! It's super quick to fill out and then the people on here who know much more about chameleons than I do can take a look and offer you suggestions to make his life the best it can possibly be. Welcome by the way!

Found a picture credit to Merujack.

Attachments

• Feeder cup.jpg
    Feeder cup.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 92
Thank you all for suggestions! Just one more question. I know Jackson's chameleons are supposed to have high humidity levels at night but at night we are seeing that its around 46-50%. Is there any way to increase or is it fine?

I have a humidifier. Do you mean to leave it on all night or set it turn on in intervals? Like every 2 hours for 30 mins?

Back
Top Bottom