Baby in Large Enclosure?

Kaden

So as of now, I think that when I do end up getting a cham it will probably be a baby panther, probably 2-4 months. I am planning on getting a large dragonstrand atrium, 4x2x4’, and was thinking that I would need to get a smaller enclosure like an 18x18x36” until the cham was a bit bigger. However, recently I’ve been seeing a lot of people say enclosures can’t be too big, so would a chameleon of this age be fine in such a large enclosure, or would it be better to wait until they were bigger to put them in the dragon strand.

So as of now, I think that when I do end up getting a cham it will probably be a baby panther, probably 2-4 months. I am planning on getting a large dragonstrand atrium, 4x2x4’, and was thinking that I would need to get a smaller enclosure like an 18x18x36” until the cham was a bit bigger. However, recently I’ve been seeing a lot of people say enclosures can’t be too big, so would a chameleon of this age be fine in such a large enclosure, or would it be better to wait until they were bigger to put them in the dragon strand.
I have read that they will be okay in a large enclosure. They survive okay in the wild...

I agree that the larger enclosure is fine for a baby... You just want to make sure that as he grows you can adjust branches down to accommodate for the larger size and casque height. And making sure that your feeder cup is right below basking level so it is easy for the little one to see the food.

Ok sounds good. But since the enclosure would be so big would I need two basking spots while the cham is small or would that be overkill?

the reptibreezes have a floating bottom. I have turned the 4ft tall units into 2ft tall just by lifting the bottom with a big plant pot and using a bit of duct tape to seal it. Odds are you could lift it with 5 dowel rods too.

Ok sounds good. But since the enclosure would be so big would I need two basking spots while the cham is small or would that be overkill?

babies dont get basking lights. At best if you cant get air temp to 80f, could use a standard house bulb near the cage. Once they are sub adults you can start using flood bulbs to make a 90f+ area.

babies dont get basking lights. At best if you cant get air temp to 80f, could use a standard house bulb near the cage. Once they are sub adults you can start using flood bulbs to make a 90f+ area.
My house temp is around 74 most of the time so I would need a lamp to boost the hotspot to 82.

Kaden,
A panther chameleon old enough to be sold is plenty old enough to be in the largest cage you can get. In fact, I keep my hatchlings in 48” tall cages if I can, but I’ll try to keep my trouble-stirring ways under wraps here!
Set up the cage like you would for an adult. With a Large Atrium you can fill one side with plants to offer hiding places and a humid, leafy retreat while the other side is open, has the basking area, UVB and the feeder run cup. The mister sprays the plants and you have a nice environment where the chameleon can find anything they need. Do not worry about two basking areas. Your chameleon will actively search for what they need - be it food, water, shelter, or heat. They are great at taking care of themselves. All we need to do is provide all the things they need somewhere in the cage. Though with the basking lamp I suggest getting a wide reflector and mounting it high above the cage so the heat is gentle when it gets to your designated basking branch. They may be ready to take on the wilds of Madagascar straight out of the egg, but they are still little bodies and it is easy to over energize them.

The only other special consideration i would make for their first six or so months is add in thinner branches in addition to the normal adult branches. These can be removed when he grows up a bit. The thinner branches will give his little feet an easier time. Of course, they always find a way if they want thinner perches. :)

B2AC9CDF-951E-4ECF-9F1E-945E1E1ABBA3.jpeg

Kaden,
A panther chameleon old enough to be sold is plenty old enough to be in the largest cage you can get. In fact, I keep my hatchlings in 48” tall cages if I can, but I’ll try to keep my trouble-stirring ways under wraps here!
Set up the cage like you would for an adult. With a Large Atrium you can fill one side with plants to offer hiding places and a humid, leafy retreat while the other side is open, has the basking area, UVB and the feeder run cup. The mister sprays the plants and you have a nice environment where the chameleon can find anything they need. Do not worry about two basking areas. Your chameleon will actively search for what they need - be it food, water, shelter, or heat. They are great at taking care of themselves. All we need to do is provide all the things they need somewhere in the cage. Though with the basking lamp I suggest getting a wide reflector and mounting it high above the cage so the heat is gentle when it gets to your designated basking branch. They may be ready to take on the wilds of Madagascar straight out of the egg, but they are still little bodies and it is easy to over energize them.

The only other special consideration i would make for their first six or so months is add in thinner branches in addition to the normal adult branches. These can be removed when he grows up a bit. The thinner branches will give his little feet an easier time. Of course, they always find a way if they want thinner perches. :)

View attachment 227421
I’m sorry for such a late response, but thank you so much for the detailed post.

I put my boy in a 2x2x4 reptibreeze enclosure from the time he arrived home. He was approximately 2 months old and he did really great. I really think your cham would be totally fine in the large enclosure from the start. :)

Back
Top Bottom