Baby female Veiled

Steven Davies

I have 2 veiled chams male and female both around 10 weeks old, the male is happy enough and seems to not mind being handled , the female on the other hand is scared n very shy. The store in witch i got them both tells me that females find it harder to settle in than males. Is this true ? .

Im making small head way with her , keeping my movements slow as i move towards her with the pot of cal dusted crickets but she normally has none of it. Today she moved to the pot i was holding and eat 5 of them before retreating away again. is this a good sign or was she just having a good day ?

Well my question is are you trying to hold them or get them settled in? IMHO most of my new cams have always ate better alone. There are of course exceptions. I am assuming for now you have two cages. If so and they are eating and drinking then you are doing well.

As an aside I have aggressive males I have never touched without a cotton glove and a lot of scampering around. But they are usually adult wild import panthers lol.

Have fun your doing great

At the min my focus is feeding them the small crickets from a plastic cup , i was told its the best way to feed baby veileds while they are so young as loose crickets in the viv could drive them mad lol, The male just took it apon him self to walk onto my hand during this process and even without feeding (guess im lucky with him). The female will have her own Viv before shes 4 months old. And thankyou for your reply..

If her eating slows or she shows fear of your hand tie a bread twist round the cup and catch it in the door when for close it, just bend it down. If she's eating you will here the steady thunk from the cup. Again it's clear you did your homework and have been diligent in husbandry. The animals are the reward and your off to a fine start.

Back
Top Bottom