Baby female chameleon 5 mos - one eye closed / slit - should I be worried?

I really can't comment on the eye as their could be different issues. what size of locusts are you feeding . Was her eye like that when you got her or when did you notice

The locusts are maybe a thumb's length - pretty small. Pet shop said they had been feeding them to her before we got her. She's eaten some but she didn't eat all.

Her eye was fine until she woke up this morning. Even last night she was completely ok. Her eye started to open about 10 mins ago (not 100% but 80% or so). I'm not sure we're 'out of the woods' yet but I've given her two pretty long mistings which i don't think she really enjoyed but maybe it help her clear something from her eye. Hoping it doesn't get infected and obviously want to know what caused it so i might be able to prevent in the future. Going to give her another long misting before I put her to bed and praying she's all good tomorrow. Have made a vet appt for Thursday but hoping I don't need it as (1) I think taking her out of the enclosure / handling her right now is a bad idea as she will be very stressed and (2) its a pretty long drive to get to the vet and I don't know how warm I can keep her on the ride. So overall the vet is really a last option for me unless she truly needs it.

The heat light should be outside of the enclosure that is what the mesh is for on top your baby could looking at the distance get onto it and get burned

I suspect the vitamins are the issue with her eyes. I’m honestly not knowledgable about the effects of too much vitamin A, but I know that not enough does cause eye issues. Possibly too much can do the same? @kinyonga what do you know about this?

I suspect the vitamins are the issue with her eyes. I’m honestly not knowledgable about the effects of too much vitamin A, but I know that not enough does cause eye issues. Possibly too much can do the same? @kinyonga what do you know about this?
If i stop putting in vitamin A, will the issue resolve itself? I just checked on her and her eye is back to closed unfortunately..

If i stop putting in vitamin A, will the issue resolve itself? I just checked on her and her eye is back to closed unfortunately..
I honestly have no idea if stopping the vitamin A will resolve the problem, but it shouldn’t be given daily I do know. I tagged a member that has more knowledge than me.

I hate eye issues....there are too many possibilities of what can be causing the issue to figure it out.
I don't use any prEformed source of vitamin A for veileds and I've never had an eye issue with a veiled. what is the form of vitamin A in nutrobal? Look for words like beta carotene, retinol palmitate, retinal, retinyl.

Are all the lights off at night?

Sometimes the UVB can cause eye issues but it usually affects both eyes at the same time.

Eye issues can be from infections, debris in the eye, improper supplements, parasite issues, lights being used...etc...etc....so you can see why I can't tell you for sure.

I hope the vet you're taking her to is a good chameleon vet.

I hate eye issues....there are too many possibilities of what can be causing the issue to figure it out.
I don't use any prEformed source of vitamin A for veileds and I've never had an eye issue with a veiled. what is the form of vitamin A in nutrobal? Look for words like beta carotene, retinol palmitate, retinal, retinyl.

Sometimes the UVB can cause eye issues but it usually affects both eyes at the same time.

Eye issues can be from infections, debris in the eye, improper supplements, parasite issues, lights being used...etc...etc....so you can see why I can't tell you for sure.

The vitamin A in nutrobal is retinal propionate.

Vitamin a is good but without other vitamins can be couter productive. You will want to start gut-loading your feeders. I use apple orange mango sweet potato carrot sliced greens broccoli. I would use pure calcium no a no d3 until you get arcadia range
20201201_195639.jpg

I have not used a vivexotic tank for chameleon only dragon. Imo they are not suitable for a cham I feel there is not enough ventilation. But as the recommended size for a cham is 2x2x4 a repti breeze would be more suitable. I have looked and thought about the viva and it poses more dilemmas than solutions. Petshop and staff don't always have the knowledge or time to care about what they are selling. Your light looks like a t8 by the fixture and glo . You will want a t5ho arcadia 6%. But to juggle your uvb in the tank vs providing an adequate basking area light outside the of the enclosure could be fun. So imho i would upgrade now. You can get the uvb tube 24 watt and install it to the top of your enclosure now then move it to your new enclosure. These are only my options. I hope your girls eye comes good

Ok, interesting. Unfortunately a lot of the equipment is brand new and pretty expensive.. so frustrating to hear that the pet shop staff got a lot of it wrong. But I think I will invest in a new light for sure before further issues crop up and continue to montior her. Very nervous to take her to the vet's due to her stress levels and the distance to the vet.

Started gut loading the feeders tonight with lots of veg.

I turn the light off at night and slightly lower the temp. I think she's been sleeping ok, aside from last night when she was on the floor, but I just turned off her light and she's currently hanging and asleep which is good news. She won't turn to show me her eye so I am going to have to inspect it in the morning and pray everything is ok.

Thanks very much. She opened her eye at me earlier so now it's on/ off eyes open/ shut. Earlier in the day was completely shut. Fingers crossed she improves tomorrow otherwise will be going to the vet on Thurs.

Back
Top Bottom