Baby Dubia Roaches Escaping?

Ben0918

i'm putting small baby roaches in a plastic container for my jackson chams and they're climbing out and escaping. anyone know how to keep them in without escaping??

Clear packing tape on the inside rim on the container. They shouldn't be able to climb the container. But I assume you are dusting a lil heavy and the dust is creating a foothold for them.

I have my dubia colony in a 50 gallon tank . I don't have a top on it now , but plan on adding 1 . I added the 2" packing tape & pondered the seam where it overlaps . Since that is a possible way for them to climb , I added a 2nd row & staggered the seams . Just to be on tha cautious side , i ran 1 row sticky side down along the top of tha tank . Fast forward a few weeks & there is a small dubia stuck on the top tape ... I touched it & it was dead , so i didn't bother with removing it since I might have had to retape the top . A couple days later , i seen it wiggling :) . I pulled it off & fed it to the chameleon . NO sense in letting the smart 1s evolve :) . That roach had to climb up the corner where silicon is... climb along the bottom of the packing tape until it came to the seam , climb up that & crawl along the bottom until it found the 2nd seam . Up that & then along the top of the tape to the corner . Good thing I added the tape on top or I would have never known it escaped or anymore that would figure the escape route . :)

What type of container are you using? Make sure that it's taller than the length of the roaches and that the sides are vertical. If the sides are diagonal they can climb out, and make sure that it's smooth. I use a green plastic cup about 2 1/2 inches tall and they don't get out (but they try. LOL). Hope this helps :)

Hold on what do you mean? Do you mean when you place them in the cage or when they're in their own?

I've been told that you can smear a small amount of vaseline around the upper sides of the container. Never tried it myself though.

Are you sure? I just wouldn't because I don't want the roaches to get covered in it and then have the cham eat it.

Back
Top Bottom