baby chameleon

myrandamarie

hello! i am not new to owning a chameleon but i am new to owning a baby. i attached some pictures of my baby gambino (bino for short). i’m just looking for any tips or suggestions :)

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - veiled, male, around 2 months old. i’ve had bino for almost a week
Handling - i handle bino one to two times a day only to feed. i don’t holding him while he’s feeding.
Feeding - i’m starting out with pin head crickets dusted im repti calcium (without D3) and will be providing multivitamins once every other week. i also have a liquid solution that has d3 in it. bino is eating about 6-10 crickets twice a day. need tips on gut loading. plan on switching up the diet between fruit flies and crickets for right now
Supplements - i have a cricket cage. they are dusted with repti calcium (without D3) as of right now. as stated above i’m going to switch off between crickets and fruit flies. as well as multi vitamins once every other week.
Watering - i use a little dripper. i most 3 times a day (heavily at night before i turn the lights out) for about 2 minutes. i don’t see bino drink from the dripper but he does lap the water off the pants.
Fecal Description - i have not seen any of his droppings i’m assuming they are tiny? bio has not been tested for parasites.
History - i got bino from a trusted animal shop. they got the baby charms from a local breeder. all were males.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - i have the zoo med repti-breeze chameleon kit, 16" LX 16" W × 30" H
Lighting - i have a uvb100 bulbs and a blue daylight bulb. i will check the exact brand and everything tonight when i turn them off. the lights go on at around 9am when i get home from work. and they go off at around 9/10 pm before i go to bed.
Temperature - 80-85 day in basking spot and 70-75 at night.
Humidity - about 30% i mist three times daily.
Plants - plants are fake. looking into getting pothos. heard they are great and help hold humidity as well.
Placement - my cage is on my floor rn. i have a fan. looking to find a little desk or something i can put his cage on. my walls are slanted so it is hard the find a place in my room where his cage will fit.
Location - the chicago area.

Current Problem - just looking for any tips and suggestions. thank you :)

Attachments

• 9ED9F0D0-75F7-4B45-A79D-960CB83985AC.jpeg
    9ED9F0D0-75F7-4B45-A79D-960CB83985AC.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 75CCA60D-CA8A-410A-9164-1864A018B424.jpeg
    75CCA60D-CA8A-410A-9164-1864A018B424.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 25028D09-17DA-4B15-9A19-E072E31F3464.jpeg
    25028D09-17DA-4B15-9A19-E072E31F3464.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 88
  • 2E2DDF5E-43C5-4517-BD42-B557E42C458F.jpeg
    2E2DDF5E-43C5-4517-BD42-B557E42C458F.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 75
Hi there welcome to the forum. If you give me a few minutes I will go through everything.

Please see my feedback in bold. Let me know what questions you have.

hello! i am not new to owning a chameleon but i am new to owning a baby. i attached some pictures of my baby gambino (bino for short). i’m just looking for any tips or suggestions :) You have come to the right place!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - veiled, male, around 2 months old. i’ve had bino for almost a week. Have you confirmed gender? Does baby have tarsal spurs on the back of the hind feet?
Handling - i handle bino one to two times a day only to feed. i don’t holding him while he’s feeding. With young babies the less you handle the better so they can become used to the enclosure etc. Stress and babies is a bad combo. Why are you handling to feed?
Feeding - i’m starting out with pin head crickets dusted im repti calcium (without D3) and will be providing multivitamins once every other week. i also have a liquid solution that has d3 in it. bino is eating about 6-10 crickets twice a day. need tips on gut loading. plan on switching up the diet between fruit flies and crickets for right now. How are you feeding baby? Have you gotten a feeder run? A baby this young should be eating more like 3 dozen a day easily. For gutload see image below.
Supplements - i have a cricket cage. they are dusted with repti calcium (without D3) as of right now. as stated above i’m going to switch off between crickets and fruit flies. as well as multi vitamins once every other week. Calcium without D3 at all feeding except 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th you want to use a multivitamin with D3 and vitamin A. Repashy calcium plus LoD version or Reptivite with D3 will work for your multivitamin. No spray vitamins. Lightly dust your feeders. They should not look like powdered donuts.
Watering - i use a little dripper. i most 3 times a day (heavily at night before i turn the lights out) for about 2 minutes. i don’t see bino drink from the dripper but he does lap the water off the pants.
Fecal Description - i have not seen any of his droppings i’m assuming they are tiny? bio has not been tested for parasites.
History - i got bino from a trusted animal shop. they got the baby charms from a local breeder. all were males.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - i have the zoo med repti-breeze chameleon kit, 16" LX 16" W × 30" H This is fine for now but will need to be upgraded in the next two months to a 2x2x4ft enclosure.
Lighting - i have a uvb100 bulbs and a blue daylight bulb. i will check the exact brand and everything tonight when i turn them off. the lights go on at around 9am when i get home from work. and they go off at around 9/10 pm before i go to bed. So for UVB you need to switch this up. Compact bulbs are not recommended for chams. These can cause the cham to develop MBD due to the output distance of the bulb. You want a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 linear bulb or a 6% bulb. This should be 8-9 inches from the highest basking branches for the correct UVI level. If baby is screen climbing let me know because you have to adjust for this. You want a 12 hour cycle of lights on and total darkness.

Temperature - 80-85 day in basking spot and 70-75 at night. Too hot for baby at basking. You want this no hotter than 80 at basking. If baby is screen climbing the top you have to lift the fixture off the top so baby does not get a thermal burn. Night time temps need to drop farther. They need the cool down. Most keepers have a hard time doing this but they really need to be lower like at 65 at least.
Humidity - about 30% i mist three times daily. 30% is on the low end...looking for more in the 40% range. Live plants will help with overall humidity.
Plants - plants are fake. looking into getting pothos. heard they are great and help hold humidity as well. See image for plants choose veiled tested. Home depot and lowes are great places to get indoor plants cheaper. You want to pull all the fake plants out have have a full enclosure of live plants. 1 inch or larger river rock should be put over the soil in the plants to keep baby from eating the dirt.
Placement - my cage is on my floor rn. i have a fan. looking to find a little desk or something i can put his cage on. my walls are slanted so it is hard the find a place in my room where his cage will fit. The sooner you get it up off the floor the better. They do not do well being so low and it can cause a lot of stress. Same when baby goes into the adult sized cage. Must be off the ground.
Location - the chicago area.

Current Problem - just looking for any tips and suggestions. thank you

You will need to remove the bowl in the bottom. Get creative you want to have a pan below it for water run off that you can wet vac out or dump. There are no wrong ways to do this everyone comes up with their way that works. But the idea is no sitting water in the cage.

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 11.41.38 AM.png
chameleon-gutload.jpg
chameleon-food(1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom