Baby Chameleon won’t eat

Cammy27

I’m sorry to take over your post, don’t know how to create a new one?...I’m a bit worried about my baby cham...he/she is not eating. Today is the 3rd day it’s not eating...the last time he/she at was on Saturday...3 crickets...I’ve read the posts about stress and shedding...I can’t see any signs of shedding, I think it could be stress, I don’t know...On the one hand I think it may be because since I got him (have him now for 2 and a half weeks) he ate crickets. I am buying some worms tomorrow to see if he will eat it...I’ve attached photos of the baby so you could see...the baby does get more than enough water and the poo I have seen looks normal

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - I don’t know the specie or the sex, I think it’s a female and the age I also don’t know...the chameleon has been in my care for 2 and a half weeks now
  • Handling - Maybe once a day
  • Feeding - Crickets, maybe 2 a day, if he eats one, I am lucky if he will eat another one that same day
  • Supplements - Not dusting the crickets
  • Watering - I spray the enclosure, i have seen the chameleon drink
  • Fecal Description - Poo is normal, brown with white/yellowish
  • History - Got it from the field, it’s a wild one

Attachments

• B2C2E78F-8671-44D6-A3EB-5956D7F0C543.jpeg
    B2C2E78F-8671-44D6-A3EB-5956D7F0C543.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 74A0CE7E-17BF-454F-AD90-78462362BE27.jpeg
    74A0CE7E-17BF-454F-AD90-78462362BE27.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 96
I’m sorry to take over your post, don’t know how to create a new one?...I’m a bit worried about my baby cham...he/she is not eating. Today is the 3rd day it’s not eating...the last time he/she at was on Saturday...3 crickets...I’ve read the posts about stress and shedding...I can’t see any signs of shedding, I think it could be stress, I don’t know...On the one hand I think it may be because since I got him (have him now for 2 and a half weeks) he ate crickets. I am buying some worms tomorrow to see if he will eat it...I’ve attached photos of the baby so you could see...the baby does get more than enough water and the poo I have seen looks normal

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - I don’t know the specie or the sex, I think it’s a female and the age I also don’t know...the chameleon has been in my care for 2 and a half weeks now
  • Handling - Maybe once a day
  • Feeding - Crickets, maybe 2 a day, if he eats one, I am lucky if he will eat another one that same day
  • Supplements - Not dusting the crickets
  • Watering - I spray the enclosure, i have seen the chameleon drink
  • Fecal Description - Poo is normal, brown with white/yellowish
  • History - Got it from the field, it’s a wild one
So you caught it? History - Got it from the field, it’s a wild one
Where are you from?

I’m from South Africa
I am not sure about the species... What I am sure about is that a wild caught chameleon will most surely die. Especially if it is not in the proper enclosure with correct lighting which from the looks of what I can see in the pics it is not. It looks like she is in a fish tank. Looks female. I can not tell age or size based on the pic. If it is female and mature which I am leaning towards based on coloring then the chance of becoming egg bound and dying is very possible. Wild caught chams come with parasite loads as well.

The absolute best thing for this chameleon is taking it back to where you found it and releasing it back into a tree. You are setting yourself up for disappointment trying to keep it.

I am not sure about the species... What I am sure about is that a wild caught chameleon will most surely die. Especially if it is not in the proper enclosure with correct lighting which from the looks of what I can see in the pics it is not. It looks like she is in a fish tank. Looks female. I can not tell age or size based on the pic. If it is female and mature which I am leaning towards based on coloring then the chance of becoming egg bound and dying is very possible. Wild caught chams come with parasite loads as well.

The absolute best thing for this chameleon is taking it back to where you found it and releasing it back into a tree. You are setting yourself up for disappointment trying to keep it.
Thank you for your advice! I think I will release it! Grown fond of the little thing but don’t want to be the cause of it’s death

Thank you for your advice! I think I will release it! Grown fond of the little thing but don’t want to be the cause of it’s death
Even when they come in from being imported they have to be treated by a vet because of the parasite load and the types of parasites they carry. Only experienced keepers take them on because they have to be quarantined away from other chams so there is no exposure and cross contamination. They do not always make it under the best of circumstances. :(

Just make sure you take her back to the same area you found her. She will be better off and live the wild life she was meant to. :)

It has gular edema (swelling around the throat area). Did it have it when you got it? How big is the chameleon? I'm wondering it its gravid. The best idea is likely to let it go where you found it.

Back
Top Bottom