Baby chameleon (Lots of questions)

saradoggy10

Established Member
Hey hey I'm reading up on baby chameleon care because that's what I do when I'm bored.
I'm confused, the lighting on a newborn-5 week chameleon is pretty undefined. Are you meant to have a basking bulb? Does the bulb only stay up for a small part of the day? Do you only use just a sunlight bulb? Do you need UVB? Should you just use sunlight?
As you can tell, I'm very confused.

Also when it comes to foliage, how dense should it be? Assuming the chameleons are separated into general sizes, is there a limit to how many should be in one cage until they turn 1-3 months? (Is 2 months the correct time to separate them?)
Can you use a normal reptile incubator for the eggs?

I'm not a breeder so my information is limited but I acquired 3 eggs last Aug. They were already set up in a tupperware with vermiculite so I didn't have to worry about that. Then I just put them in my closet. I think most breeders do closet incubation vs putting them in an actual incubator. My temps varied due to incubation during the summer and winter. They all hatched around 7 months old. I have 3 set up in an open plastic bin with 2 pothos and wooden dowels. I have a T5 6% uvb fixture set up for them this light stays on from 730-730. I have a heat light set up but don't turn it on very often because the bin temps stay in the upper 70s to low 80s. I bring them outside for natural sun at least 4 days a week. Since I have 3 in a bin at varied ages I made sure they had lots of cover and places to hide away from each other. So far from what I have observed they are getting along well, but that will vary between clutches. My oldest will be separated soon he just hit 2 months. Typically the oldest should be separated by now, but all of them are eating and growing well and I haven't noticed any dominant behaviors so he is still in the bin. Hope this helps. :)

Another question! Bioactive terrariums- if you were to uncover the eggs from a bioactive terrarium would it mess with the system? Would any bugs try to munch on the eggs? Should you leave the eggs in and wait for them to hatch in the "natural" environment?

Hey hey I'm reading up on baby chameleon care because that's what I do when I'm bored.
I'm confused, the lighting on a newborn-5 week chameleon is pretty undefined. Are you meant to have a basking bulb? Does the bulb only stay up for a small part of the day? Do you only use just a sunlight bulb? Do you need UVB? Should you just use sunlight?
As you can tell, I'm very confused.

Also when it comes to foliage, how dense should it be? Assuming the chameleons are separated into general sizes, is there a limit to how many should be in one cage until they turn 1-3 months? (Is 2 months the correct time to separate them?)
Can you use a normal reptile incubator for the eggs?
Basically what Jan said.
I have a t5 6% UV light shared between two butterfly cages with a "clamp lamp" heat bulb that i turn on and off and constantly move. I also use natural sunlight [via outdoors] and they sit by a window [which doesn't offer UV]. Since my critters have a room encased by windows, they're up with the sun down with the sun, not any exact set of time.

Splitting them isn't exactly a timing thing so much as it is growth and behavior. Bigger ones tend to bully the others so I keep my bigger ones together. Eventually you'll have to do the same thing until you house them individually.

As for incubating I use a black cooler i got from home depot for $10. I have about 150 eggs in it now with room for more. It has a "split - flip top" lid which doesn't cause any shaking to open which is nice. I have that cooler on one of the shelves in my cham room out of any direct sun etc.

My baby cages have many fluker small vines, wandering jew, misc. air plants, and a small dracena.

As for the idea of incubating in a bioactive setup, I've heard its fine but I'd rather not leave it to chance. I guess it all depends on how bioactive it is really - i.e. what type of bugs you use. Just make sure to not over water the enclosure as i feel thats a common cause of egg loss.

*I'm no breeder, just my experiences*

Back
Top Bottom