Baby Chameleon laying down??

mesmoria

Hi there,

I’m new to this forum and this is my first time owning a baby veiled Chameleon. I got her a week ago and she’s been doing great, however I’ve noticed two things.

As of the past few days, she’s been laying on her side. Not laying down completely, there is a picture attached. Her eyes are completely open and alert, and she doesn’t seem to be sick but this does worry me a bit. She’s been doing this the past few days and didn’t do this last week when I bought her. She does get up and walk around her enclosure and she moves like normal. Can anyone explain to me what this means?

The pet store instructed me to feed her 30 small crickets a day, 10-15 in the morning and some in the evening. She was doing excellent and eating a lot, but now her appetite has kind of dwindled. The small crickets in her enclosure haven’t been touched, and I’m wondering if she’s going to shed? The crickets are dusted with a calcium without d3 and she is given vitamins. She has a 60w incandescent daytime basking bulb and a 13w white UVB bulb. I have two misting nozzles in the enclosure that go off every 2 hours for 20 seconds. Her feces are white, and I’ve read that is a good sign.

Any help would be appreciated, I am new to this and want the best care for my little baby. I called the pet store and spoke with someone there who is experienced with Chammies, and she told me that it’s normal for baby chameleons to do this.
0D941B49-1C35-4096-BF13-E4990DF5BD71.jpeg

Attachments

• 198713AF-2D48-4748-9F9B-3DAE891FCFDB.jpeg
    198713AF-2D48-4748-9F9B-3DAE891FCFDB.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Hi and welcome. :) Your baby is a cutie. I do notice a few concerns with what you’ve said and would love to help you get everything perfect for this little girl. I will need you to answer some questions though. Just copy/paste the following with your answers and we can get you started. If you add pics of your entire enclosure, including floor and lights, that will be a huge help too.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

You will get the help you need. Also the right answers to your questions here. You came to the right place. There is a few things off in your husbandry. So please fill out the husbandry form above as soon as possible so you can get your cham on the road to wellness. Please take a picture of your enclosure from the lights down and post along with your husbandry form.

Welcome to the forum.
Hi there,

I’m new to this forum and this is my first time owning a baby veiled Chameleon. I got her a week ago and she’s been doing great, however I’ve noticed two things.

As of the past few days, she’s been laying on her side. Not laying down completely, there is a picture attached. Her eyes are completely open and alert, and she doesn’t seem to be sick but this does worry me a bit. She’s been doing this the past few days and didn’t do this last week when I bought her. She does get up and walk around her enclosure and she moves like normal. Can anyone explain to me what this means?
This happens sometimes when they're basking. They'll expose more surface area toward the basking light to absorb more heat. This can happen even if/when basking temperatures are correct.

The pet store instructed me to feed her 30 small crickets a day, 10-15 in the morning and some in the evening. She was doing excellent and eating a lot, but now her appetite has kind of dwindled. The small crickets in her enclosure haven’t been touched, and I’m wondering if she’s going to shed?
Possible. If so, she should start shedding within a day or so, and at that age, the whole process can take just a couple/few hours.

The crickets are dusted with a calcium without d3 and she is given vitamins. She has a 60w incandescent daytime basking bulb and a 13w white UVB bulb.
Is that perchance a CFL? Chameleons should have a linear T5HO UVB, either 5.0 or 6%, extending the full width of the enclosure.

I have two misting nozzles in the enclosure that go off every 2 hours for 20 seconds. Her feces are white, and I’ve read that is a good sign.
Is that enough time for the enclosure to dry out completely between mistings? If not, it can be a factor for mold, mildew, fungus, etc.

The urate portion should be white or nearly white; the bulk should be brown.

Others will go over your whole enclosure & help you get things squared away.

Welcome to the best forum on the net. Babies should double in size every two to three weeks. Because of their fast growth rate, they are not always stable while running around and yours may have taken a fall. you need to create a jungle gym with lots of thinner vines and branches that are on the thin side too. because veileds eat greens, live plants are necessary. Also they drink water off of the leaves and water does not cling to fake leaves like it does to real ones. Live plants will also help keep the humidity up too. If she tries to eat the fake leaves, it could be deadly. There are lists of plants on the net that are safe for chams so make sure you get ones that not toxic to chams. I like swiss cheese plants. The leaves are big and the stalks are strong enough to support chams. Also they are easy to care for. If you have problems with keeping plants healthy you will have to get a plant light. If you do, test out the heat output before putting it near the cage. I got Sansi and hung it four inches above the cage but it works great. You will have to fill out the questions that were given to you if you want a full husbandry assessment. We have all spent a fortune with trial and error. I am assuming you got a cage kit and much of the assessories that come with it are not safe for chams! The thing is if you want a healthy cham your setup, feeding, and supplements have to be right or you will spend a fortune with vets. Chams hide illness very well and by the time you notice something is wrong they could be well on the way to being deathly ill. The best way to avoid this is to have your setup right from the get go. members here love their chams and only want other owners to be successful so chams dont needlessly suffer. Remember, chams are primarly tree dwellers without any real defenses. They are loners from the minute they hatch. They want to be at the highest point possible. Young ones will climb on the screens even upside down on top so mske sure she cant touch the metal on the basking light or she will get burned you can elevate it or set it on something that wont get hot. I used two wooden blocks to prop it up. Some use the clamps. Also if you have the cage door open she will try to climb out and up and get on top of the cage. She will definately get burned by the light covers. Dont let her ever get on top of the cage. also if your cage is all screen, sealing the back panel and one side panel will allow you to mist without the worry of water ruining stuff or hitting the elecyrical cords. You can use a shower curtain and cut it to panel size tape that to the outside aluminuput a few layers of tape at the bottom so wayer doesnt escape then do the next panelwhich ever side has the cords. dont use any substrate and you can wipe up any excess water if that is an issue. Well you have a lot to learn but she is worth it! Unfortunately, there is so much misinformation about raising chams it is unbelievable. The chameleonacademy.com has up to date reliable info about all aspects and of course there is a wealth of info here from the wonderful members.

Hi, thank you for the advice. This is a really old post and I’ve done a lot of tweaking to her enclosure since then ☺️

Welcome to the best forum on the net. Babies should double in size every two to three weeks. Because of their fast growth rate, they are not always stable while running around and yours may have taken a fall. you need to create a jungle gym with lots of thinner vines and branches that are on the thin side too. because veileds eat greens, live plants are necessary. Also they drink water off of the leaves and water does not cling to fake leaves like it does to real ones. Live plants will also help keep the humidity up too. If she tries to eat the fake leaves, it could be deadly. There are lists of plants on the net that are safe for chams so make sure you get ones that not toxic to chams. I like swiss cheese plants. The leaves are big and the stalks are strong enough to support chams. Also they are easy to care for. If you have problems with keeping plants healthy you will have to get a plant light. If you do, test out the heat output before putting it near the cage. I got Sansi and hung it four inches above the cage but it works great. You will have to fill out the questions that were given to you if you want a full husbandry assessment. We have all spent a fortune with trial and error. I am assuming you got a cage kit and much of the assessories that come with it are not safe for chams! The thing is if you want a healthy cham your setup, feeding, and supplements have to be right or you will spend a fortune with vets. Chams hide illness very well and by the time you notice something is wrong they could be well on the way to being deathly ill. The best way to avoid this is to have your setup right from the get go. members here love their chams and only want other owners to be successful so chams dont needlessly suffer. Remember, chams are primarly tree dwellers without any real defenses. They are loners from the minute they hatch. They want to be at the highest point possible. Young ones will climb on the screens even upside down on top so mske sure she cant touch the metal on the basking light or she will get burned you can elevate it or set it on something that wont get hot. I used two wooden blocks to prop it up. Some use the clamps. Also if you have the cage door open she will try to climb out and up and get on top of the cage. She will definately get burned by the light covers. Dont let her ever get on top of the cage. also if your cage is all screen, sealing the back panel and one side panel will allow you to mist without the worry of water ruining stuff or hitting the elecyrical cords. You can use a shower curtain and cut it to panel size tape that to the outside aluminuput a few layers of tape at the bottom so wayer doesnt escape then do the next panelwhich ever side has the cords. dont use any substrate and you can wipe up any excess water if that is an issue. Well you have a lot to learn but she is worth it! Unfortunately, there is so much misinformation about raising chams it is unbelievable. The chameleonacademy.com has up to date reliable info about all aspects and of course there is a wealth of info here from the wonderful members.
Hi, thank you for the advice. This is a really old post and I’ve done a lot of tweaking to her enclosure since then ☺️

Back
Top Bottom