Baby Chameleon is having trouble climbing

memmyme

My baby chameleon is 2 months old and is having trouble climbing as of yesterday afternoon. I noticed this morning when I was feeding him. He is having trouble gripping onto the vegetation and his limbs are twitching. It looks to me as if he's having problems directing his movements.

I called the breeder I purchased him from today and he said he could have possible been dropped. I only handle him once a week and I am very consistent with feeding, vitamins, lighting and temperature. I have no idea what to do, but I am worried he won't make it! His hasn't eaten today, but he is drinking water. Any advice? Thank You!

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Hello and welcome to the forum. :) Hopefully we can help keep your little one healthy & happy. I wouldn't worry about him not eating for a day or two. He will no doubt start eating again soon. I worry more about the climbing problem. I would put lots of vines, plants, and sticks in for him as see how he does. Let us know what is going on and please fill out the form if you would.

babys need very small little branches and what not to climb on i used little food squers from the dollar store for my lil guys.
not sure if that has anything to do with the prob just a thought

hoj

Hi Memmyme, We've only had our veiled for two months. Shortly after she came home to us I noticed her doing something similar to what you describe. She would stand on two legs and shake all the while rubbing one other foot on anything. She didn't eat for a few days and had trouble climbing. Finally, after reading and reading on the forum, I moved her basking lamp and uvb lamp further away from the top of her cage. She had burned her little foot pad while climbing across the top of her house. It got better in just a few days and I learned a valuable lesson. Just sayin'

Back
Top Bottom