Baby Chameleon help!!

thank you so much!! I'm about to buy some 1/4ths off josh's frogs, should I also get black solider fly larvae? and some other variety or start off simple? Also For my heat lamp any recommendations on what I can upgrade that to, because I've heard the double fixture isn't recommended. I plan on upgrading his enclosure pretty soon, because i do what to make it bioactive at some point.
I like the flukers dimable fixtures... And then just use a regular household 60 watt bulb. But with the dimming feature of the fixture you can reduce wattage if the enclosure basking temp is too high still.

If you get the bsfl get small sized. Keep in mind you will be feeding quite a bit once babies appetite picks up order enough for no more then 2 weeks otherwise they will grow too fast for him to eat. I would do small dubia if they have them in small sizes. If you can throw in about 5 of these a day it will get baby used to picking these off as well. They are not normally as eager with feeders they have not had so by adding them in with the crickets he will try them.

I would stick with pretty standard feeders until you can get baby eating. Anything else is going to grow pretty quickly and baby is very small. Hornworms for example are going to be too big within a day or two lol.

These are great links on bio active
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/blog/bio-active-vivaria.40647/

And @jamest0o0 sells isopods when your ready.

You have been great help I really appreciate it! 1/4 for dubias would you say? i can't wait for my lil rango to get big!

You have been great help I really appreciate it! 1/4 for dubias would you say? i can't wait for my lil rango to get big!
Your welcome. Yeah I would say no larger then 1/4 inch. Hard to tell how big your baby is exactly. But I think of it this way... Smaller is always better then too big.
They grow fast so be prepared lol.

Your welcome. Yeah I would say no larger then 1/4 inch. Hard to tell how big your baby is exactly. But I think of it this way... Smaller is always better then too big.

I hen they bask for they generally lay down or stand?

Attachments

• 2241ED5A-1FB4-40AF-ADC3-746D6F41CC11.jpeg
    2241ED5A-1FB4-40AF-ADC3-746D6F41CC11.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 88

When they bask do they generally lay down or stand?

both... But typically they lean... When you say lay down it depends. some laying is normal while others indicate an issue. take a pic when you see it.

Already ahead of you lol. I’m out rn getting foliage, and a better heat lamp

Attachments

• B82B30EA-6792-496B-91FD-4804DCA604F2.jpeg
    B82B30EA-6792-496B-91FD-4804DCA604F2.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 73
@Beman Also I really would like to thank you. You and the others have been such tremendous help, and honestly without the info and the changes you provided for me l. I don’t know how this lil guy would fair. So again thank you so much!!

Already ahead of you lol. I’m out rn getting foliage, and a better heat lamp
That looks normal. Baby is gripping the branch and not dangling limbs. Once it settles in more you should see more of a flatten out and lean. But my boys sit in many different ways. :) It is one of those things that the more you watch and learn the behaviors you will notice subtle differences easier. You will learn your chams behaviors and know what they mean. Each of my boys are a bit different. I like this link to learn basic behaviors... https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-behavior/

That looks normal. Baby is gripping the branch and not dangling limbs. Once it settles in more you should see more of a flatten out and lean. But my boys sit in many different ways. :) It is one of those things that the more you watch and learn the behaviors you will notice subtle differences easier. You will learn your chams behaviors and know what they mean. Each of my boys are a bit different. I like this link to learn basic behaviors... https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-behavior/

Awesome thanks for the link! I’ll provide updates periodically to show progress! Again thanks!

@Beman Here’s a little update on the lil guy. He’s moving more and starting to eat!! I raised my basking light and he’s starting to bask more and go onto his spot! My feeders are coming tmw, and those are my feeders gutload. They have sweet potato, apple, mustard green, orange, and carrots. Mixed with jello for a jello mold(I used unflavored jello)

Attachments

• ECB61F3B-6F74-4FB1-81FF-5C1B5C285487.jpeg
    ECB61F3B-6F74-4FB1-81FF-5C1B5C285487.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 4EE32AF2-CD59-49AD-A1A9-BEA3D8A2B93E.jpeg
    4EE32AF2-CD59-49AD-A1A9-BEA3D8A2B93E.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 96
@Beman Here’s a little update on the lil guy. He’s moving more and starting to eat!! I raised my basking light and he’s starting to bask more and go onto his spot! My feeders are coming tmw, and those are my feeders gutload. They have sweet potato, apple, mustard green, orange, and carrots. Mixed with jello for a jello mold(I used unflavored jello)
Great job! so you will want to upgrade to all live plants sooner then later since you do have a Veiled. Do not want baby eating the fake plants.

And you removed all substrate from the bottom correct?

Great job! so you will want to upgrade to all live plants sooner then later since you do have a Veiled. Do not want baby eating the fake plants.

And you removed all substrate from the bottom correct?

substrate is gone, and I’m picking up some pothos and getting a few spider plants by tmw

@Beman I have a problem, I just looked to check on him and saw this poop, and this is the first time it has locked like that

Attachments

• BADADC2B-C4AD-4D99-AF3E-6D086F66DB2D.jpeg
    BADADC2B-C4AD-4D99-AF3E-6D086F66DB2D.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 78
@Beman I have a problem, I just looked to check on him and saw this poop, and this is the first time it has locked like that
The fecal looks normal. The urate is a bit more yellow then we want to see. Remind me how your providing hydration and how long you have had the cham now?

The fecal looks normal. The urate is a bit more yellow then we want to see. Remind me how your providing hydration and how long you have had the cham now?

mister and dropper, I was just worried cuz it looked runny. Today is day 5.
But I have seen him drink and eat more

mister and dropper, I was just worried cuz it looked runny. Today is day 5.
But I have seen him drink and eat more
What are your humidity levels day and night? And the dripper is dripping on the plants correct? Same with the mister?

It can be normal for them to have more dehydrated urates at first. They are just figuring out their enclosure and most do not eat much at first. Moving forward the urates should be no more then 50% yellow/orange with the rest being white. Could be more yellow now if this is the first fecal/urate passed since in your care.

Back
Top Bottom