baby chameleon help

WildTosa

Hi, I have a baby chameleon for 2-3months now and for a few days he had something coming out of his (what I assume is where he was connected by the eggsack) belly button, it was a brownish red stick coming out of it, I'm wondering what it is?

I grabbed it gently with tweezers to see if it was a splinter/eco-earth bedding and he pulled it out. I'm a little worried since I didn't mean for him to pull it out and I have no idea what it was

It was likely the remains of the "umbilical" cord. Did it bleed when you removed it?

No, it was a little pinkish red though I want to add that it was a little under the circle-like belly button they have but also above the vent.. Not familiar with chameleon anatomy is that still part of where the "umbilical" would be at?

substrate

Please remove the eco-earth. chams really don't need anything for substrate.. it can cause impaction if ingested. paper towels or newspaper if you insist on something. PLEASE...

Please remove the eco-earth. chams really don't need anything for substrate.. it can cause impaction if ingested. paper towels or newspaper if you insist on something. PLEASE...
The eco-earth is just inside the top layer of the planter and we feed him by hand mostly so I don't think he ingests, he also has no other substrate in his repti-breeze.

Should I really remove the eco-earth from the plant and what should I replace it with?

The eco-earth is just inside the top layer of the planter and we feed him by hand mostly so I don't think he ingests, he also has no other substrate in his repti-breeze.

Should I really remove the eco-earth from the plant and what should I replace it with?

Yes, replace it with larger river rocks that he can't pick up with his tongue.

Has anyone been thinking maybe the hemipenes was pulled out? :(

Could you post a picture of a) how the area looks now and b) the whole chameleon?

It is not safe to be pulling/picking body parts off the chameleon. Usually it is safer to let them fall off on their own with mistings.

Thanks, I'll go pick up some river rocks at the store soon tomorrow hopefully!

SaintJimmy, I didn't mean to pull it out. I just grabbed it thinking it was eco-earth and he pulled it out himself. Though if chameleons are like other reptiles the hemipenes would be located inside the vent right?

Here is a picture..He didn't like my phone so he was puffed up with his mouth open carefully eyeing my phone but I got a clear enough picture I think. Hopefully I attach the picture correctly..

Like I said earlier where it came out of is below his belly button and above his vent. Its the white dot.

He is eating, drinking and wondering around. Also sorry if he isn't suppose to be in a window, we are trying to figure out where to place him since my room has a tegu that runs around and I don't want to stress him out =/

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 63
Thanks, I'll go pick up some river rocks at the store soon tomorrow hopefully!

SaintJimmy, I didn't mean to pull it out. I just grabbed it thinking it was eco-earth and he pulled it out himself. Though if chameleons are like other reptiles the hemipenes would be located inside the vent right?

Here is a picture..He didn't like my phone so he was puffed up with his mouth open carefully eyeing my phone but I got a clear enough picture I think. Hopefully I attach the picture correctly..

Like I said earlier where it came out of is below his belly button and above his vent. Its the white dot.

He is eating, drinking and wondering around. Also sorry if he isn't suppose to be in a window, we are trying to figure out where to place him since my room has a tegu that runs around and I don't want to stress him out =/

Is the little hairy thing the thing you pulled out?

He is most likely fine then. :) I'm a worrywart.

Back
Top Bottom