Baby Chameleon colors

demonslayer64

Hi, this is the fist time I have a chameleon. She is really young and I am a little worried because I don't really know if it is bad for her to have this colors. I mean, to show her spots like this. I don't know if she is stressed or something like that. Can someone help me? (btw, I'm sorry, my english is not that good)
97767155_652740055577709_2889848876594888704_n.jpg

and can you also show pictures of enclosure and fill out the health form please
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

The pattern on baby is normal.... Not a happy pattern though. More stress coloring...

Please fill out the form above and post pics of her entire enclosure lights down. :)

and can you also show pictures of enclosure and fill out the health form please
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
  • Your Chameleon - female veiled chameleon, 3 months old and she has been almost 3 weeks with me
  • Handling - every day. I take her out to take some sun light almost all day.
  • Feeding - crickets, i put 20 crickets in the morning and she eats most of them. I have them with an oat bed and fresh vegetables (cucumber, carrot) and some fish flakes.
  • Supplements - I dust the crickets with calci-rep without Phosohorus. I fvcked up and I noticed that my calcium has D3 so I havent dust the crickets 3 days ago (I haven't found the correct one yet)
  • Watering - I have a dropper (?) it is actually a venoclisis (I don't know if it is called like that in english) and yes, she drinks water. I mist everything every 2 hours.
  • Fecal Description - they are oval shaped, half brown with a little white. I haven't test them to see if she got parasites.
  • History - I'm currently taking care of two baby chameleons, both of them are female and have the same age. They are doing fine together but they are not going to stay in the same cage. the one in the photo has changed her skin 2 times, she was the dominant one the first days but then she turned shy.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen
  • Lighting - I don´t remember but I got the kit at petco. she is out almost all day so i use the UVb light just for 2 hours and then I use the night light
  • Temperature - I have 2 termometers, 27°C duirng day and 24 during night
  • Humidity - I don´t know how to meassure the humidity
  • Plants - I had a pothos but It was getting heavy so I just have fake plants
  • Placement - the top is 2 m away the floor. It is located also 2 m away from a west facing window
  • Location - Mexico.

Current Problem - stressed cham.

Attachments

• 97549758_673040719939375_7975520575206457344_n.jpg
    97549758_673040719939375_7975520575206457344_n.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 90
you should add some more horizontal branches the cage is a little bare. and the kits are usually really and your going to want a new light prolly

• Your Chameleon - female veiled chameleon, 3 months old and she has been almost 3 weeks with me
  • Feeding - crickets, i put 20 crickets in the morning and she eats most of them. I have them with an oat bed and fresh vegetables (cucumber, carrot) and some fish flakes.
  • Supplements - I dust the crickets with calci-rep without Phosohorus. I fvcked up and I noticed that my calcium has D3 so I havent dust the crickets 3 days ago (I haven't found the correct one yet)
  • Watering - I have a dropper (?) it is actually a venoclisis (I don't know if it is called like that in english) and yes, she drinks water. I mist everything every 2 hours.
  • Fecal Description - they are oval shaped, half brown with a little white. I haven't test them to see if she got parasites.
  • History - I'm currently taking care of two baby chameleons, both of them are female and have the same age. They are doing fine together but they are not going to stay in the same cage. the one in the photo has changed her skin 2 times, she was the dominant one the first days but then she turned shy.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen
  • Lighting - I don´t remember but I got the kit at petco. she is out almost all day so i use the UVb light just for 2 hours and then I use the night light
  • Placement - the top is 2 m away the floor. It is located also 2 m away from a west facing window
  • Location - Mexico.

Are you currently housing them together? That could be part of the stress. The UVB compact bulb you have is no bueno. You will want to get a T5 HO linear bulb. Supplementing is important so get the right stuff. Most people use calcium at every feeding. D3 twice a month and a multivitamin twice a month on alternating weeks. I would handle her less to reduce the stress but getting her outside my be a good thing with the insufficient UVB you have now. You’ll eventually want to move away from crickets and introduce a variety of feeders. Also, drop the fish flakes.

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload.jpg
    chameleon-gutload.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 68
  • chameleon-food(1).jpg
    chameleon-food(1).jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 110
Your Chameleon - female veiled chameleon, 3 months old and she has been almost 3 weeks with me
They are stressed because you are keeping them together and one is dominating the other. When taking them out for sun, I would set them on a small plant so you aren't messing with them too much. Keep an eye on them at all times while outside.

I would take them outside for about 30-45 minutes a day at least.

Do not feed the cricket fish flakes. Gutload should consist of various leafy greens, veggies, and fruits. Its also recommended to include some sort of pre-made commercial gutload, such as bug burger or cricket crack. You can also include bee pollen in your gutload.

I would also cup feed to make it easier to find the food. The amount you are feeding is good for their age.

You will need calcium with d3, calcium without d3, and then a multivitamin without d3 ( I use reptivite)

Dust with calcium without d3 every feeding. Then one day of each week, alternate between your multivitamin without d3 and your calcium with d3 (with this schedule, each should be given twice per month).

I know what you are talking about.

I would mist once in the morning, and once in the evening for 2-3 minutes, along with a short misting during the middle of the day for about a minute. The basking light must be off for at least 15-30 minutes before, and after misting.

I would test both of them asap.
You must separate them into their own cages. One is undoubtedly dominating the other and this will be detrimental to both chameleon's health.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen
Im guessing you have the 16x16x30. This cage will do for one of them for a few months, but will have to be upgraded to either a 2x2x4 reptibreeze, a large tall/extra tall glass cage by exoterra, or something similar later on.
No lights on at night.

The lights that come with the kit are pretty much useless long-term.

It is good you are taking them outside each day. This will make up for the lack of a proper uvb light for now.

You can use a regular 50-60 watt household bulb for the basking bulb.

For the uvb bulb you are going to need a T5HO reptisun 5.0 linear bulb and fixture. You can get this on amazon.

The highest branch should be 11-12 inches away from the correct lights listed above.

If you are using the thermometers that come with the kit, they are very inaccurate. You will want digital ones.

The basking spot should be 28c, ambient temps during the day should be 24c, nighttime temps should be about 18-19c, no lower than 13c.

You need a digital hygrometer.

Once you get one, humidity should be about 30-40% during the day, 80-100% at night. Nighttime humidity can be achieved with a fogger, and wrapping 2-3 sides of the enclosure with a shower curtain.

You need live plants. The top 11-12 inches should be pretty sparse, the middle should have dense areas, along with area with less foliage, bottom should be less dense.

You also need more branches. I would go outside to find some branches that come from trees without sap. Wash them with soap and water well, and then pour hot water, and then cold water over them a couple times. Lay out in the sun to dry.
  • Location - Mexico.
Since you have females, you will need to be sure to provide them with a laybin, and as they get older a restricted diet. Good thread on this:

Your chameleons absolutely must be separated into their own cages ASAP. You must setup each of the cages properly, and take the advice given above. By not doing so your chameleons will suffer.

Chameleons are expensive. Fixing this will be expensive but it is necessary for their health. If you can only afford to fix/buy the correct husbandry items for one cage, I would strongly suggest rehoming one of the chameleons.

Gutloading and feeding sheets:
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 6.55.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 6.55.10 PM.png

Chameleon academy: https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/

Safe plants: https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

More about plants: https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

Examples of correctly setup chameleon cages **these are not mine**:

iu-1.jpeg
iu-2.jpeg
iu.jpeg

List of main things you need:
1. Another cage (if you choose to keep both chameleons)
2. The correct lighting I listed above (regular household bulb, T5HO 5.0 Reptisun linear bulb)
3. Correct supplements (Calcium without d3, Calcium with d3, Multivitamin without d3)
4. Live plants ( see the safe plant list link)
5. More branches.
6. Fogger(s)
7. Digital hygrometer and thermometer
8. Timers, automatic misting systems, etc. (all the other small things I mentioned)

¡Hola y bienvenidos! Los colores indican que ella se estresa por la otra. Tienes que separarlas pronto para que no se estrese más...ambas necesitan su propio espacio desde no pueden verse. Ella es muy guapa :)

(Perdón por mi español...)

Did anyone hear back from OP? I keep thinking about this cham for some reason and I haven't seen a response.

Back
Top Bottom