Baby cham climbing the ceiling

Bernie

Is this normal behaviour for babies? I am concerned that my basking light will burn him when he hangs directly below it from the ceiling. It's pretty damn hot directly under it!

Should I be worried?

His basking spot is about 82F but on the ceiling its hitting 100F

yes it is normal and yes you should watch for the possibility of burns. if u put your hand there and it feels like it could give you a burn than i would raise the light up abit.

jmo
hoj

It feels very warm but doesn't feel as if it could burn. However he may be more sensitive than me. I haven't got a stand for the light to higher it.

Could I use anything else?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307819360.568616.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307819360.568616.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 85
Babies love to explore EVERYTHING. When they are born they typically begin looking for food and some shelter. They will go to great lengths to find these, so climbing upside down is normal :p. Remember that not only are they more sensitive, but their body heat is much lower to ours. What we perceive as somewhat warm is hot for them, so if you ever feel "nice and warm", its probably way too hot for them.

If you want to raise it, you could go the cheap way and rip up cardboard and make multiple columns for it to sit on. As long as the cage is stable that is, otherwise the lamp could fall :/. But I like using cardboard columns for support and added height anywhere :)

My bulb is 40w however it seems to be really warm directly underneath. I will build some blocks at the side for the lamp to sit on

one of the things I do to keep the bulb higher from the screen I use one of the small size bulbs rather than a normal bulbs.

Cheers guys. Here is the little fella

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307829715.197146.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307829715.197146.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 92
A very easy method to raise a light, is 3 flat tuna cans. Make sure each can has just a little bit under the light. Pieces of pvc pipe work well also. PVC also works well to hold plants off the floor so they don't rot.

A very easy method to raise a light, is 3 flat tuna cans. Make sure each can has just a little bit under the light. Pieces of pvc pipe work well also. PVC also works well to hold plants off the floor so they don't rot.

Can u maybe show a pic?

I have raised the lamp by using some food tins as suggested. Thanks. Looks like this little fellas basking spot is the ceiling until he is bigger!

Also CH, you might want to put more plants & vines for him to climb on. If the cage in the backround of post 10 is his enclosure , it seems scarce , especially for a baby. They like to think you can't see them among the foliage. He might be looking for a secure hiding place.

Also CH, you might want to put more plants & vines for him to climb on. If the cage in the backround of post 10 is his enclosure , it seems scarce , especially for a baby. They like to think you can't see them among the foliage. He might be looking for a secure hiding place.

This. He is crawling all over the screen cuz there is nowhere else for him to go. More plants/vines are needed, looks bare in there.

Back
Top Bottom