Baby cham care

joneill

Hi all, I recently picked up a baby panther cham from the breeder and wanted to know if there is anything special I should be doing for him? He is soooo tiny, his body only measures about 3cm in length. I have never raised a baby before and am afraid that I will do something wrong. I thought he would be much bigger and had a 60cm x 45cm x 45cm all setup with vines and a small hibiscus but he would get lost in there! So, I have put him in a 30cm (L) x 30cm (W) x 20cm (H) plastic tub with 35W basking bulb and 15W UVB light (tube). The basking temp sits around 75-80deg F and the ambient is close to 70deg F. There are thin sticks for him to sit on and climb around and a few pieces of fake ficus on the one side where he licks water droplets off. I have left the floor bare as the breeder said not to have any substrate. He is eating pinhead crickets which I dust in plain calcium powder without D3. I will also dust crickets with multi vitamin every 2nd week and calcium with D3 every other second week when the time comes. I already have a veiled but got him when he was 8mths old so taking care of him is easy. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks!

Thanks Jann! I have already read your post about babies and according to that, I am doing everything right. Its just because he is so small and fragile that I am so nervous. Is it normal practice for a breeder to sell babies so young/small? I would hate for him to become stressed in his new environment and deteriorate at my hands!

Btw, I read all the posts about Camille being sick and I can only imagine the stress and heartache you went through. I hope she is doing better and that the special meds that you are giving her are helping.

Thanks Jann! I have already read your post about babies and according to that, I am doing everything right. Its just because he is so small and fragile that I am so nervous. Is it normal practice for a breeder to sell babies so young/small? I would hate for him to become stressed in his new environment and deteriorate at my hands!

Btw, I read all the posts about Camille being sick and I can only imagine the stress and heartache you went through. I hope she is doing better and that the special meds that you are giving her are helping.

Congrats on your new baby! I'm sure you'll be an excellent keeper.

Just to let you all know that my baby is doing well. Eating, drinking, pooping and climbing all over the container. He is the cutest little lizard I have ever seen! Will post a pic soon.

your lucky. I can't get a chameleon yet:(. But my dad said I can get a few geckos:)

P.S.my dad put an s on the end of gecko.:D

Congratulations on your new baby! :)

I have 13 (still waiting on the last 3 to hatch) little ones. I pretty much studied all of jannb's blogs, for the duration of their incubation time... and found it all very helpful!

The babies are so much fun to watch!

So, as promised, here is a pic of the little guy. Couldn't take too many as he does not like the camera (who does?) and each time I approached he would swing underneath the branch he was perched on so I couldn't see him. Clever fella!

congrats on the babies they can always be fun.youll notice they get perosnalities and one will try to be the leader.

Back
Top Bottom