Baby Ambilobie Panther Chameleon help plz?

Baby Lobie

Hey guys.. So i just got a little 6 week old Panther.. Im getting really frustrated because the breeder would tell me one thing and then the shop would tell me another and then online I've been reading more like what the shop told me.. but some things are still off.. Heres one: So what temperature should the Basking area and the cool area be? Right now his cool area is at 80degrees.. If i need it to be lower as some blogs i have read say, how can i get that down?? Im a little stumped on that! Please help.. He's my little baby:eek: but im so afraid of him not surviving if i dont do one of these crucial things right.. Thanks everyone!

Hey guys.. So i just got a little 6 week old Panther.. Im getting really frustrated because the breeder would tell me one thing and then the shop would tell me another and then online I've been reading more like what the shop told me.. but some things are still off.. Heres one: So what temperature should the Basking area and the cool area be? Right now his cool area is at 80degrees.. If i need it to be lower as some blogs i have read say, how can i get that down?? Im a little stumped on that! Please help.. He's my little baby:eek: but im so afraid of him not surviving if i dont do one of these crucial things right.. Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new arrival. You have come to the right place to have your questions. 80 in the cool area is too high. What are the dimensions of his viv and what is it made of? Screen or glass. Personally I would have basking temp between 80 and 84. You can get this by raising your basking light or reducing the size of bulb.

6wks old is really, really young. He should be basking at no more than 80. Kate already asked this, but how big is his enclosure?

Well, he is temporarily in a 10 gallon tank while he is small.. that was what the breeder told me to do while he is so young, she said to increase humidity which is what he really needs at this age.. but i plan to move him as soon as he starts to get color... again, what she told me to do.. i am using a 50 watt bulb right now.. Ill try to move it further and see what that does.

You need to move him now.

fish tanks dont have proper ventilation, which leads to stagnant air which leads to respiratory infections.

you must put him in a screen cage, its the healthiest environment for him.

basking temps in a screen cage for a baby that age should be 83-86, depending on what he likes.

what are you supplementing with?
what lights are you using?
what plants?

You need to move him now.

fish tanks dont have proper ventilation, which leads to stagnant air which leads to respiratory infections.

you must put him in a screen cage, its the healthiest environment for him.

basking temps in a screen cage for a baby that age should be 83-86, depending on what he likes.

what are you supplementing with?
what lights are you using?
what plants?
Thank you Cammimom, and yea that is what someone whom i was speaking with earlier told me.. well, i think he likes to be warm because he goes up the closest he can get and starts to change blue then when hes done he will be very active and looks quite happy.. well today i will be going shopping for supplements.. someone that has been helping me told me to get phosphorus free calcium w/ D3 and also w/out D3 and also a multivitamin of some sort.. then to feed him food dusted w/D3 every feeding. w/out D3 once every other week as well as the multivitamins.. for the lights, i have a 50watt heat bulb..and i have a 10.0 uvb. then for the plants.. since its small in there and i wanted to allow some room for circulation of the air, i only have 2 plants... one is a real potho, not too big at all.. and then there is a small fake plant in there for him too. other things in there are just a bend-a-branch and a wood log which is in the area where he basks.

i would get a screen zoo med or reptibreeze cage.

and you switched your supplement schedule.

calcium without d3 is every feeding, with d3 is twice a month.

you may not find the without d3 in a store, so be prepared to order online.

also, if you can afford it, id get a 24x24x48 cage, or the biggest one they have. since they he will need it as an adult anyway.

Plain calcium phos free without d3 every feed and calcium withd3 twice a month and a multi vit twice a month.:)

i would get a screen zoo med or reptibreeze cage.

and you switched your supplement schedule.

calcium without d3 is every feeding, with d3 is twice a month.

you may not find the without d3 in a store, so be prepared to order online.

also, if you can afford it, id get a 24x24x48 cage, or the biggest one they have. since they he will need it as an adult anyway.

Haha you beat me to it.:)

oh yea i did write it wrong huh.. lol. thank u guys for that! ok.. so ill go shopping today and see what i can find as far as caging and supplements.. also.. one more question.. so he has been eating flies that go in the tank (he loves the flying bugs..) is this ok for him?? (i dont have a screen top on the tank).. and then the breeder sent me home with roaches.. is that food ok? or is there something better? At first i put the roaches in the tank for him to find but he ate none of them since they just hid under plants and under the log.. so i put them in a cup and now he'll just creep up and snatch some.. which makes me a liar now because i have "one additional question" lol... should i limit his food intake? i read in a blog yesterday that too much food will get him sick! and he has just been eating a LOT of the roaches.. yesterday he had to have ate like 5-8 of them at the LEAST! plus the 2 flies he caught..

If they are house flies, i would keep him from eating them.

they eat garbage and sit on poop.

If you buy house flies from someone, thats ok, cuz you can regulate what you feed them.

what kind of roaches? dubia, lobster? if so, these are great for him. they can be used a staple feeder.

and since its a male, let him eat as much as he wants. all my male chams eat as mcuh food as they can take.

some times, not often, a cham will eat too much food and become overweight, but its not common.

you can feed-
crickets
dubia/lobster/banana roaches ( think there are a few other species but i dont remember them)
silkworms
hornworms
fruit flies
house flies
blue bottle flies
waxworms
superworms
mealworms
butterworms
pheonix (calci, or repti, all the same) worms.
painted lady butterflies
chinese mantids, (other speices but this one is most common)

i know there are other bugs, but these oens are the ones we buy the most.
no one bug should make up more than 40% of their diet. but crickets, silkworms, and roaches are staple feeders, meaning we feed them mostly/

i would get a screen enclosure asap and for supplements just keep it simple and go with repashy calcium plus. then you dont need worry about a complicated vitamin calc and cal w/d3 schedule. keep it simple and keep the temps stable liek suggested and he will grow like a weed.

I know the others told you about the supplement schedule and i am telling you the opposite of it, simply to help you get him growing and start with something simple. you can evolve into the complex supplement schedules after you geta grasp and increase your husbandry knowledge. but for now i would suggest anyone new cham keeper go with repashy calcium plus which you have to order online. its simple, proven and well what else do you need beyond simple and proven?!

If they are house flies, i would keep him from eating them.

they eat garbage and sit on poop.

If you buy house flies from someone, thats ok, cuz you can regulate what you feed them.

what kind of roaches? dubia, lobster? if so, these are great for him. they can be used a staple feeder.

and since its a male, let him eat as much as he wants. all my male chams eat as mcuh food as they can take.

some times, not often, a cham will eat too much food and become overweight, but its not common.
Cammimom.. Well see, the breeder gave me 75% on the male thing.. which i hope she was right..! she said because he is still young she couldnt say 100%.. Ill be posting a new thread about his sex with pics and get some opinions.. fingers crossed!! But if "HE" turns out a "SHE".. thats ok too.. im already attached.. lol.. oh and theyre Dubia Roaches by the way.

haha, didnt take long to find you ;) im glad your finding some useful information on here! and deff post pics!!!! i wanna see the little guy :3

AMANDA!!! LOL... thanks for joining the conversation lol.. pics will be up in a sec. :D

told ya i was on here! i refer just about everyone on yahoo asking chameleon questions to come here...i can tell the ones who really care because they are the ones that actually come ;) there are some very very helpful members here to answer all your questions, so if your not sure, ask away! :)

told ya i was on here! i refer just about everyone on yahoo asking chameleon questions to come here...i can tell the ones who really care because they are the ones that actually come ;) there are some very very helpful members here to answer all your questions, so if your not sure, ask away! :)
lol, thanks! so i posted a new thread with a pic of Lobie. i think he might be a she.. but to be honest.. i have no idea what im talking about! lol... i gotta look at tons more pics to get the hang of this whole sexing a chameleon thing.. lol

Back
Top Bottom