Babies not eating.

JoeG

Its been about 36 hours since birth & I am getting worried that I haven't seen any of them eat the fruitflys That are everywhere. I saw one attempt to shoot at one earlier but he was not successful. Wondering if I should put them in a tupperware or cricket cage temporarily. Very frustrating...

How many FFs are you trying to feed at once? If there are too many in there it could be confusing them. If I remember correctly you have the jacksoniis and they are in a screen cage? If you can keep the humidity that is required for them in the screen cage I wouldnt fuss with moving them and stressing them out.

How many FFs are you trying to feed at once? If there are too many in there it could be confusing them. If I remember correctly you have the jacksoniis and they are in a screen cage? If you can keep the humidity that is required for them in the screen cage I wouldnt fuss with moving them and stressing them out.

They are in a room with the humidity up to 50 with a humidifier near them. A lot of the flies stay at the bottom & some make it up to where they are higher up but they don't seem interested in them when they pass nearby. I even skewered a banana towards the top to attract the flies to where the chams are. I read that they should be eating by the 48 hour mark so I feel like time is running out....

I would try to cover 3 sides of the cage to get the humidity up which is very important for live bearer babies.

My Trioceros ellioti (live bearer) babies took a few days to start really downing the food. I dont think there is much you can do besides keeping them at optimum conditions and keep offering food. Hopefully they start to eat you out of house and home soon:)

Yes, they are doing great! Thanks for asking. It took 2 to 3 days & now they are all eating, drinking & active. I was a little nervous at first waiting to see if they were going to survive. Its been a week & not one loss. All 7 are healthy & amazing to watch because they are so small & yet , move & climb just like the big boys. Things couldn't have turned out better......

Yes, they are doing great! Thanks for asking. It took 2 to 3 days & now they are all eating, drinking & active. I was a little nervous at first waiting to see if they were going to survive. Its been a week & not one loss. All 7 are healthy & amazing to watch because they are so small & yet , move & climb just like the big boys. Things couldn't have turned out better......

I don't like to be picky, but things could turn out better. you could post some pictures for us!!!:D It is wonderful things are going well for all of you, keep it up.

jacksons babies can be pretty shy about eating in front of people at first. Maybe they are sneaking a few when you aren't looking?
Watch for tiny lizard poops on the floor of the enclosure. When you start seeing those, you know they are eating...

I don't like to be picky, but things could turn out better. you could post some pictures for us!!!:D It is wonderful things are going well for all of you, keep it up.

I'll be able to post some pics for you tomorrow. Thanks for asking...

Baby pics at 8 days

8 days old & all the kids are OK. Mom seems to have gone off feed for now. I thought she'ld be starving but won't even hand feed anymore. She must sneak eat for now. I hope the pics came out OK. My camera is not the best.

8 days old & all the kids are OK. Mom seems to have gone off feed for now. I thought she'ld be starving but won't even hand feed anymore. She must sneak eat for now. I hope the pics came out OK. My camera is not the best.

Very cool!! They look nice and healthy! As for the camera, is there a macro function on it? Usually the icon for the macro setting is a flower. This is for taking more close up pics.

Back
Top Bottom