B. tranvaaslense after a little over a month

laurie

Retired Moderator
A month isn't a lot of time but I wanted to share how thinks have progressed around here.

After the first few days of settling in, the kids, Hans & Sophia, would often bask out in the open. It took about 10 days for me to determine what temps they prefer. Day time temps are anywhere from about 74 up to low 80's. This is a lot higher than I expected. Night time temps are mid 60s to upper 50's.

The humidity stay's at 41%. I am not happy about that but it is a result of the amount of plants in the cages. There seems to be nothing I can do, I mist very lightly 2 x a day and they have drippers that water the chams and the plants. Sophia is such a character. When I mist she will sit hidden on a leave and drink of the leaf below her. She does the same thing with the drippers. She does not want a drop of water on her body. Guess she never gets dirty.

Both roam freely all over their cages. Each is in an 18 x 18 x 36 cage. I have a visual barrier between them and removed it once to see how they reacted. Both showed stress colors and Hans turned almost black. The barrier is now back in place for the foreseeable future. They have each settled into established sleeping places. Sophie has her special leaf and hans sleeps in the wire probe for the temperature /hydrometer. Both are at the front of their cages and just as cute as can be.

Both eat and poop well. Good thing it is on the leaves or I might never find it. I have offered a few different foods. So far they have had, crickets, fruit flys, silkworms, phoenix worms, just hatched mantis, just hatched stick bugs, and house flys. Of that list the only two they refuse is silkworms and house flys. I really expected both of those to be big hits, and the flys were for about 10 minutes and they have never eaten them again. Neither of them would touch a silkworm. So I am raising worms to a size my other chams will eat.

i have found these chams to be a delight to watch, and learn from. We both have a long way to go together. Updates will follow.

Excellent Laurie! Good observations too! Dont worry too much about that humidity, 41% will be just fine, given the cages are not constantly wet. A spike in humidity occasionally wont hurt them either, so long as its not staying high(> 60%).
Great names for the pair :) mine have been on the same diet pretty much, minus the baby stick bugs( ive been out hunting for them a few times now and only found one, and it died on me:mad:) but they dont hesitate to snatch up baby silkworms! I already have to order some more!

Good to hear that they are doing well, Laurie!

Mine are warmer than that, they have access to about 85F at the highest point, and at night it is getting more like the high 60's. For now I will not worry about it very much and allow the nights to get much colder as the Florida weather starts getting colder at night as well. So during winter I'll let that room drop significantly, like I always do. It's backwards from their natural range, I know, but I doubt they'll notice.

My humidity is staying super low, actually, which I'm not too happy about. It's usually too low for my hydrometer to read or at the highest, about 30%. They are getting a couple short mistings a day and all urates are white, but I think it may be too low.

They each have the same sized cages, but I put them together at first to see how they would do (since it seemed like everyone else was keeping their pairs/groups together) and this is how they would sleep. They are now in their own cages though, decided it was easier for all of us.

sleepingtogether.jpg

Very cute chameleons, that's for sure!
I haven't settled on a definite name for the female, but for now they are Azrael and Helena.

I am so happy for all of you, I don't think better parents could be found than the group that got this very special shipment.
Laurie I love your detailed info! I have been stupid busy lately and haven't had a moment to catch my breath, much less chat. I hope you are well :)
Things should slow down here a bit and i will pm you
Anne

I am so happy for all of you, I don't think better parents could be found than the group that got this very special shipment.
Laurie I love your detailed info! I have been stupid busy lately and haven't had a moment to catch my breath, much less chat. I hope you are well :)
Things should slow down here a bit and i will pm you
Anne

Thanks os much Anne. i was hoping I could get the same find of info from the others, but i guess that is not to be.:(

Laurie, you know you can always call me. If I'm at work I can't answer but I would always call you back. I'm always happy to talk chameleons

Great info Laurie. Hopefully down the road we will all have had success with all 3 species and we can each give info on how we've kept them, etc. I honestly havent been paying much attention to my pumilum or transvaals at all besides feeding and watering them. They're all outside and eat like pigs! They seem to be very happy outside, so I just basically let them be and try not to bother them much. Dont get me wrong, I do check on them daily to see that everything is ok and that they look good, I just try and give them there alone time:)
I was actually watching 2 of the pumilum yesterday from a distance with binoculars! lol how weird am I?:rolleyes:

what does that mean? lol

Dont worry, I speak Laurie. ;)

Sounds like a good idea, but mine are not such that I can look from that far away.

Translation:

I cant get far enough away from them, that viewing them through binoculars is possible, as they are housed inside.

My thamnos are doing great.
They have much more "zest" to their personality than my others.
The way they strut around is hilarious.
My male (Kuze) is the calmest of them, and doesnt freak at all when handled.
Motoko is the most confident, and flamboyant of them.
She is always in hunt mode.
Yoko will hiss and bite if I try and handle her, and generally stays in the deeper foliage, and is not as active as the others.

Ive had them outside this whole time just about, they do not seem to mind the heat at all. They are under heavy shade, and get regular mistings and such, but even on the hottest days I will see them in direct sun at times, basking away. Ive never seen them gape at all.

They seem to keep their body temp (surface at least) at around 90F most of the time, but will have it at the lower 80's as well on occasion.

I like the binocular idea.
It would let you know if they behave any different when you arent around.

I keep a close eye on all of my chameleons, and they all see me at least hourly most days.

They are eating dubia nymphs now, but most of their diet is katydid, crickets and small flying things. (they just eat whatever is hopping/flying around in their long grass)

I really like these chameleons, and am super glad I got them!
I will be less busy tomorrow, so I should be able to get new pictures/video of them all. Both Kuze and Donahue shed today, so Im excited to see them tomorrow! :)

My male, Azrael, is starting to get really nice teals along his back half. Today I found him basking and his "black" areas were really dark, his yellow stripe is starting to come in stronger, and his back half was all light teal spots. So he's looking really good, if I do say so myself! I love how he's coming along. I'd share photos but when they see the big, black, scary camera they pale up and hide.

Helena is looking big and healthy, she's a cutie. She, on the other hand, is showing a lot of over-all yellows.

Both are on crickets, mantis hatchlings, and roach nymphs right now. I haven't ordered tiny worms for them yet because I've had horrible luck shipping insects recently (With the heat) but I will soon.

Helena is looking big and healthy, she's a cutie. She, on the other hand, is showing a lot of over-all yellows.

Ya, the females will pretty much be yellow, but they will also have light pinks, greens and lavenders mixed in with it.
I cant wait to see everyone's brady's all grown up with their adult colors!:D I'm sure you will get some amazing pics of yours Olimpia!

Back
Top Bottom