B.c Dangerous Animal Ban

NewOwner

Ffs.

Apparently there is a ban aggainst lots of snakes, lizards, crocs, amphibians, etc. in B.c

my friend has many snakes that may be on the ban.

Please if anyone has any info or can find any, please share iton this thread..

Hopefully its possible to stop this Ban.

-Levi

It would make many people in the reptile industry suffer, and maybe even go jobless, i dont know what would posses them to do that.

Unless we've secretly completed the invasion, HR669 will have nothing to do with B.C. .

This is a different piece of legislation. Expand your world view people. US laws stop at the canadian border.

That said, the canadian government is clearly run by geniuses who think that "Poison" dart frogs are poisonous in captivity.. Dangerous exotic 2 inch frogs.. ha ha ha ha ha.

You can have a Gila Monster in BC? They're native to AZ and illegal to own unless you're teaching people about it and you have a special permit..

My uncle used to have a friend that would collect and breed gila monsters that people would call him to have them removed and he just put him in his backyard he specially made for them.

Most native wildlife is not legal to own as pets... aka if you live in Arizona, of course gila monsters aren't permitted as pets.

This has been discussed extensively on www.bcrc.com in the legislative forum. If your friend is a big breeder, he should join Don Patterson and Henry Piorun and some others to fight this bill legally. They've already met with the Ministry of Environment.

The BC Controlled Alien Species Regulations came into law effective on March 16, 2009. It follows the May 2008 Wildlife Act changes, which gave the province the mandate to regulate alien species as defined in the act. The "ban" allows you to apply for permits in many cases. The intention it to dissallow idiots from having potentially dangerous and difficult to care for animals in apartment buildings. And truly things like cobra, Vipers, tigers, bears - these are likely not animals most people should keep as pets. Im not saying I agree with the legislation as it currently stands, but I also cant dissagree that there ARE idiots who mis treat animals and buy creatures because they think they will be kewl things, not because they know what they are doing, and sometimes end up dumping non-indigenous animals which potentially creating havock to the natural environment.

Read the press release:
http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2005-2009/2009ENV0016-000383.htm

List of controlled animals:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlifeactreview/cas/species.html

Last edited:
I'm in complete favor of a ban and regulations, I think they shoulda been in place 50 years ago. But right now, as it stands, even sand boas are banned. All boas and pythons are banned at the moment, which is why so many people are upset. There are only 5 dangerous pythons/boas (retics, anacondas, a few others) that pose a risk based on the history of snakes, (other than venomous), and there are currently 800 reptiles on the list right now, so...

All captive bred specimens of 3 species of dart frogs in the genus Phyllobates are banned, despite being 100% harmless if CB.

This will be law by March of 2010, when there will be a very small chance of having amendments. So if you're in BC, send an e-mail or write a letter or give a phone call, most of us have already:

You can find contact info, discussion, video press release, press articles, lists, and suggestions in this forum: http://www.dasnakes.com/bcrc/viewforum.php?f=4

I think canadians are just scared of frogs.. :D

I'm fascinated by that portion of the law. Only because I can envision how it went down..

"Well, we've taken care of the big scary snakes.. what's next on the list? Eh?"

"Poison Dart Frogs"

"Oh well, they're clearly poisonous, add them to the list."

"Alright, we're done in time for the hockey game!"

"Do you mind if we listen to the new Bryan Adams CD on the way over?"

Back
Top Bottom