Automated Cricket Feeder - Do you need one?

Should I create an automatic cricket/insect feeder for the market?

• Total voters

James&Monet

Hey everyone! I have been thinking ahead on how to care for my chameleon while on vacation with feeding. Most of my crickets escape the screen cage through little holes that I can't even find (I find them in the house instead)... or they hide well. So daily feeding is required, rather than dumping a bunch of crickets in the cage and leaving.

I have been looking all over for an automatic cricket feeder but can't find anything that exists. I have manufactured products for retail stores in the past so I am familiar with the process. I would like to know this if this is something that everyone would want? If the demand is high enough, I will make it and get it into Petco and Petsmart, etc. I know how to do all this.

What I am thinking is a container that houses the crickets (food, egg crate, etc) and a timed dispenser that releases crickets onto a sensitive weighted plate. As soon as the appropriate weight of cricket is in the dish, the door will close. The cricket will be contained in this open feeding dish. Another way would be to have the feeder connected to an app on the phone where you can manually open and close the dispenser... maybe even put in a small camera so you can see how many crickets are in the dish and if they have been eaten or not.

Just some thoughts and would love your feedback and whether it is a go or not. Thanks!

Yes I did thanks to @Brodybreaux25 .
Here is the link that was given to me. I did order it and have it. I have not used it yet, but feel it would be beneficial. @Brodybreaux25 can give you tips on it as well as they have used it and it worked for them.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/panther-chameleon-eating-habits.166642/#post-1450467

It looks like it could work... except the dish seems shallow and the crickets could still jump out and escape which is not what I want.

It looks like it could work... except the dish seems shallow and the crickets could still jump out and escape which is not what I want.
Actually, this thing is HUGE. I wasn't expecting it to be so big. the compartments are perfect and especially like for roaches or worms. They would not be able to get out. They are deep ones.

Actually, this thing is HUGE. I wasn't expecting it to be so big. the compartments are perfect and especially like for roaches or worms. They would not be able to get out. They are deep ones.

I looked at that one but was worried about what would happen with the mister getting water on it. Let me know how it works for you, I like the idea of having more than just two compartments and the one I have has to spring open so has to have clearance at the top as well, that one would not need the extra top clearance.

Oh that's cool! When the compartments close though, are the insects still able to get air?

A little I believe. Someone else has used it successfully for this as well, but if you can create one, GO FOR IT! I think its a fantastic idea for sure.

I will see what a Petco category buyer thinks... The thing is while the feeder may work... I don't think it is placed in the reptile section, nor would people consider using it that way. But something that is designed and labeled just for reptiles may be better?

I will see what a Petco category buyer thinks... The thing is while the feeder may work... I don't think it is placed in the reptile section, nor would people consider using it that way. But something that is designed and labeled just for reptiles may be better?
I completely agree. I found the same thing when I went and searched for something like this and found NOTHING. So that is when @Brodybreaux25 answered my post asking if anyone had any ideas. Good luck!

Sounds interesting, but the weighted plate will be tough. If you go digital scale, its expensive at low increments. If you go mechanical, its imperative that the balance remain clean and lubricated. Difficult in a Cham environment.

I would try hard to find an alternative to the scale. Otherwise, your retail price will be $40-50 higher (digital scale) or your lifetime of product will be very low.

If you could devise a method to randomly distribute crickets throughout the feeder bin, a simple push sweep with a door could work. Maybe vibrate the feeder bin?

Sounds cool though, just a matter of design and execution.

Sounds interesting, but the weighted plate will be tough. If you go digital scale, its expensive at low increments. If you go mechanical, its imperative that the balance remain clean and lubricated. Difficult in a Cham environment.

I would try hard to find an alternative to the scale. Otherwise, your retail price will be $40-50 higher (digital scale) or your lifetime of product will be very low.

If you could devise a method to randomly distribute crickets throughout the feeder bin, a simple push sweep with a door could work. Maybe vibrate the feeder bin?

Sounds cool though, just a matter of design and execution.

Wonderful feedback and I agree that those would be things to work out and get costs from a manufacturer as well. Though I don't think a retail price of $40-50 is unreasonable for an automatic feeder. But I don't think coming up with a better design that vibrates or something and get's the feeder down to $20 would be awesome!

How long do you think the process is actually going to take.

Usually up to a year from idea to having the product in stores. Also depends on the complexity in designing... but it seems like most of the components needed already exist so it should be too difficult or take too long to manufacture.

I just ran across this. I have been working on this for about a year and a half. This is a link to my original design but it has changed a lot since its conception. I am currently getting it patented and plan to have it begin selling online in late summer.
Hey everyone! I have been thinking ahead on how to care for my chameleon while on vacation with feeding. Most of my crickets escape the screen cage through little holes that I can't even find (I find them in the house instead)... or they hide well. So daily feeding is required, rather than dumping a bunch of crickets in the cage and leaving.

I have been looking all over for an automatic cricket feeder but can't find anything that exists. I have manufactured products for retail stores in the past so I am familiar with the process. I would like to know this if this is something that everyone would want? If the demand is high enough, I will make it and get it into Petco and Petsmart, etc. I know how to do all this.

What I am thinking is a container that houses the crickets (food, egg crate, etc) and a timed dispenser that releases crickets onto a sensitive weighted plate. As soon as the appropriate weight of cricket is in the dish, the door will close. The cricket will be contained in this open feeding dish. Another way would be to have the feeder connected to an app on the phone where you can manually open and close the dispenser... maybe even put in a small camera so you can see how many crickets are in the dish and if they have been eaten or not.

Just some thoughts and would love your feedback and whether it is a go or not. Thanks!

I just ran across this. I have been working on this for about a year and a half. This is a link to my original design but it has changed a lot since its conception. The device is currently being patented, and I plan to begin selling online in late summer.

I just ran across this. I have been working on this for about a year and a half. This is a link to my original design but it has changed a lot since its conception. I am currently getting it patented and plan to have it begin selling online in late summer.

I just ran across this. I have been working on this for about a year and a half. This is a link to my original design but it has changed a lot since its conception. The device is currently being patented, and I plan to begin selling online in late summer.

I wish I could find (new or used) to buy. I've been looking for a Cham sitter and an auto feeder, but no luck as of yet.

Back
Top Bottom