Aura finally bred :)!

Seiryu

Established Member
As some of you know. I posted a thread in the photo section a while ago about an odd female. You can see her color transformation in that thread.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/ever-seen-female-ambilobe-look-like-123019

Well, recently I decided to acquire a proven breeding male, Aether, to see if there was something odd going on. My 2 males at home would flare up at her like she was a male. One had bred before.

I decided to finally introduce Aether to her and she did allow him to mate with her. They connected for about 20 minutes and when I came back they were separated, so I put the male back into his enclosure. I will try tomorrow again if she allows it.

She weighs a whopping 103g and is LONG. You can see in the pics how she stacks up against Aether. And he is a big boy. She isn't fat by any means, just huge. There was some speculation she might be a "shemale" or possibly infertile. The other theory was that she is throwing so much color, males might see her as a male (like my 2 did I am thinking).

Time will tell in the next month or so if she produces eggs or not!

Attachments

• AetherAura6.jpg
    AetherAura6.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 147
  • AetherAura1.jpg
    AetherAura1.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 238
  • AetherAura3.jpg
    AetherAura3.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 150
She is a big female, but still very cute :). Congrats on her finally breeding, I bet she is fertile and just showed too much colour for those other males or her size threw them off. Time will tell.

Wow! That did take a while. I'm glad she finally got a mate. Good luck with the egg laying. The easy parts over ;)

Wow! That did take a while. I'm glad she finally got a mate. Good luck with the egg laying. The easy parts over ;)

Too true Brian, too true! Hoping she does actually produce eggs, infertile or not!

Thanks Craig and Collin.

Gorgeous couple. I hope Aura has eggs and they are good. You will have some incredible offspring from that couple. :)

Gorgeous couple. I hope Aura has eggs and they are good. You will have some incredible offspring from that couple. :)

Thanks Jann! I am very excited with this pairing.

I attached a pic of her today after I showed Aether to her. Poor guy got rejected, but she looks gravid :)!

Attachments

• 100_1655.jpg
    100_1655.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 151
Well, It has been 46 days since Aura bred and she never laid any eggs.

I took her to the vets today. She was fine all the way through. Eyes looking good, drinking, not lethargic and strong grip.

We had X-rays done, which I will post when my vet emails them to me in the next couple of days. But there were NO eggs present.

I took a detailed weight gain/loss chart of Aura from the day of breeding until today. She gained a significant amount of weight and then slowly started to lose weight.

She did dig 2 holes. The first she dug and did not cover. The second a day later, she actually eventually covered. But no eggs.

Vet is thinking she re-absorbed them.

1-17-14~ 103g - Successfully bred with Aether!
2-6-14~ 110g
2-14-14~ 112g
2-17-14~ 118g
2-19-14~ 115g (pooped - 33 days since breeding)
2-21-14~ 111g (pooped twice more, dirt on face)
2-22-14~ 109g (pooped)
2-26-14~ 107g (un-sure if pooped or not)
2-27-14~ 105g (DIGGING FINALLY - 41 days - Stopped at 3pm - No eggs)
2-28-14~ 104g (Noon - Did not go back to the hole - Refilled hole - Digging again at 12:30pm)

3-1-14~ 103g (She covered hole fromyesterday - No eggs)
3-4-14~ 101g (Day 46 - No Eggs)
3-5-24~ 101g (X-ray showed No Eggs present)

You can see the gradual weight loss. She still isn't eating and so far I have tried ; dubia, crickets, hornworms, superworms and phoenix worms. Vet said because she may have reabsorbed that she got some nutrients from that.

Also based on WHEN she finally started digging that she likely had no eggs present even at that time.

Frustrated, but happy Aura looks very healthy. Vet said her bones were some of the best she's seen and couldn't tell us anything wrong with her. Will feel better when she starts eating again!

Nice detailed account. I had a similar experience with violet who was from the same line. makes you think there is a genetic link causing these reproductive issues. Violet died at 3 years old, was bred at 1 year old but never dug never laid. Never really showed signs of any issues but got huge before she died. I hope the outcome is better for aura.

Nice detailed account. I had a similar experience with violet who was from the same line. makes you think there is a genetic link causing these reproductive issues. Violet died at 3 years old, was bred at 1 year old but never dug never laid. Never really showed signs of any issues but got huge before she died. I hope the outcome is better for aura.

Yep! Looking that way. She's still showing gravid coloration and definitely wants nothing to do with any males.

She will likely just be a pet as I probably won't breed her again. Although the curiosity in me says to breed her again and see if the same thing happens. If she ever goes receptive again anyways.

Now she just needs to eat. Going to order some banana roaches and see if that does anything.

Back
Top Bottom